Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

First Fruiting of Cola Nut (Cola acuminata)

(1/4) > >>

fruitlovers:
This tree is about 8+ years old:

I got original seeds from this pod from a local tree:

LivingParadise:
Very cool looking! Do you have plans to use it, or did you just grow it out of curiosity?

fruitlovers:

--- Quote from: LivingParadise on May 19, 2016, 07:11:21 AM ---Very cool looking! Do you have plans to use it, or did you just grow it out of curiosity?

--- End quote ---

Mostly curiosity. But i might try chewing a few, like they do in Africa.

LivingParadise:

--- Quote from: fruitlovers on May 19, 2016, 07:37:39 AM ---
Mostly curiosity. But i might try chewing a few, like they do in Africa.

--- End quote ---

Just be cautious about your use. I am very close with someone who is a researcher on cola nut, and it is a plant with a fascinating history and biology. However, it is a very powerful plant, and people can suffer very serious health effects if they have a range of conditions which are incompatible with use of the cola nut. Here is an article from Ghana that discusses some of the benefits and consequences of cola nut use:
http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/The-Pros-Cons-of-Kola-Nuts-176328

It is not something to take recreationally without research first into how it can interact with one's individual medical conditions and current medications.

HIfarm:
Congrats Oscar!  Several species of cola have an edible aril but I have never heard one way or the other with acuminata?  Is the aril on these edible (palatable)?

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version