Author Topic: Huge Mango tasting in SoCal  (Read 17868 times)

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
Re: Huge Mango tasting in SoCal
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2016, 06:42:09 PM »
Several people have talked about how good Bombay is.  I would like to try one some time.  HINT HINT HINT

How where the Sweet Cliff Lychee's?  I've never had those.

Bill

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2016, 11:54:26 PM »
Yes Bill...I get the hint...and I'd be happy to share one with you next year (with a reminder from you of course)
I only had 4 this year....how are your mangoes doing by the way.....

Gary

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2016, 11:18:34 AM »
Gary, you are the best. My trees and backyard are doing great!  Hopefully I'll have some different varieties to contribute to the tasting next year. I think I'll post some pictures of the yard soon.

Bill

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2016, 12:44:12 PM »
Warren and I cut open the 5lb St Maui. Very juicy and sweet brix 23 had light piney finish. Top tier mango
more than a novelty definitely worth growing

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2016, 12:49:57 PM »
glad that now I have strain of this giant specie in my yard, the graft took. no one has seen or grown this big ST Maui I believe, so it may be unique.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2016, 12:53:06 PM »
glad that now I have strain of this giant specie in my yard, the graft took. no one has seen or grown this big ST Maui I believe, so it may be unique.

It may be a sport I got the wood for a forum member that's not active. Whatever it is it's as juicy as fruit punch a winner😀

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2016, 01:00:33 PM »
yep, you seldom come across such huge mango variety and not have ripening issues or quality issues. Note that Leo has that apricot that ripens unevenly, this variety of yours is unbelievable.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2016, 01:17:11 PM »
yep, you seldom come across such huge mango variety and not have ripening issues or quality issues. Note that Leo has that apricot that ripens unevenly, this variety of yours is unbelievable.

Mostly because it ripens early in our warmer climate. I had the first one in late August so we are in mid season right now 

Andrew

• Davie, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2016, 03:06:40 PM »
JF, I appreciate you posting more pictures of the ST Maui with a review. I’m glad to hear that it can still hold its own against some of the newer varieties and is worth growing.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2016, 05:39:34 PM »
Warren and I cut open the 5lb St Maui. Very juicy and sweet brix 23 had light piney finish. Top tier mango

Gary, we definitely missed you at the tasting. Hope your mom is doing ok now.

Frank, your ST Mauis are incredible. Many people were staring at them hanging on your tree and couldn't believe how large they were, literally cantaloupe sized. Your ST Mauis are as big or bigger than some of the Harvest Moons I've seen members posting and the color is similar as well. Even though the fruit sampled at the tasting was not in its prime, it was very good, fiberless and ripened evenly for such a large fruit. I can only imagine how good it will get if fully tree ripened like the one you and Warren sampled.

Simon

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2016, 07:59:18 PM »

Gary, we definitely missed you at the tasting. Hope your mom is doing ok now.

Frank, your ST Mauis are incredible. Many people were staring at them hanging on your tree and couldn't believe how large they were, literally cantaloupe sized. Your ST Mauis are as big or bigger than some of the Harvest Moons I've seen members posting and the color is similar as well. Even though the fruit sampled at the tasting was not in its prime, it was very good, fiberless and ripened evenly for such a large fruit. I can only imagine how good it will get if fully tree ripened like the one you and Warren sampled.

Simon

Saved a piece for Behl who was picking up wood he loved it it hit 24 left overnight in fridge
We had 2 ST from home to contrast 27 and ??? Unbelievable

Sweet tart is the best mango of the year

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2016, 09:25:04 PM »
Glad to hear Sweet Tart was a winner. I had three successful grafts this year for ST, two on Manila root stock and one on a Kent seedling. Will be interesting to see how they preform in the future. So far at my location Sweet Tart has been a excellent grower relative to other cultivars I have.

Johnny

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2016, 10:12:06 PM »
Glad to hear Sweet Tart was a winner. I had three successful grafts this year for ST, two on Manila root stock and one on a Kent seedling. Will be interesting to see how they preform in the future. So far at my location Sweet Tart has been a excellent grower relative to other cultivars I have.

Johnny

Looking good Johnny. Don't let it fruit next year and you'll have all the ST you can eat in summer of 2018

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2016, 10:34:02 PM »
Yes JF,

I am going to focus on growth for 2017-2018 on the new grafts so no fruit until 2019.  In the mean time, the mother plant I purchased last year from TT in a 15 gallon container on turpentine, will hopefully fruit fruit in 2017. I also have a successful Coconut Cream graft on Manila and am looking forward to that in a few years down the road. 

Johnny
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 10:36:56 PM by Johnny Eat Fruit »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2016, 11:58:31 PM »
Frank, I agree, Sweet Tart is amazing and it grows excellent here. Early reports show that it performs well on various rootstocks. It's a must have variety here in SoCal.

Simon

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2016, 10:17:53 AM »
California Mango Growers, if you liked sweet tart, I am telling you peach cobbler is equally good if not better. its an amazing mango, very productive, big size, and super delicious too. I am propagating it in my yard like a mad man. it grows well too.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2016, 11:41:54 AM »
California Mango Growers, if you liked sweet tart, I am telling you peach cobbler is equally good if not better. its an amazing mango, very productive, big size, and super delicious too. I am propagating it in my yard like a mad man. it grows well too.

No question that it's a great mango but from my experience it's not easy to grow in SoCal ..lots of dieback. I haven't transfer it to our rootstock but I'm not the only one who has had issues. AZ's tree died out of the blue, this ones is quickly becoming the next piña colada or coco cream ....juicy cream is not too far behind all difficult to grow.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2016, 08:05:51 PM »
So what is everyone's opinion on the Sweet Cliff Lychees?

Bill

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2016, 03:36:05 PM »
So what is everyone's opinion on the Sweet Cliff Lychees?

Bill

SC are were well received. The seed to flesh ratio is better than Mauritius and Brewster though the fruit is smaller. Taste is floral, sweet and juicy with low acidity. It ripens two weeks  later( early August) than Mauritius and about the same time as Brewster. If I had room I would grow it instead of sweetheart much more productive. 

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2016, 04:35:10 PM »
Thanks Frank.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2016, 10:58:55 AM »
Mini mango tasting this AM results:

1.ST 30
2. Mutant LZ 27
3. Kesar 23
4. Sindhiri 20
5. Malika 21
6. Duncan 21

Sweet tart mono

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2016, 11:18:28 AM »
Most sweet tart seeds have come out as multiple Little Seeds this was the first time we got a single seed looks like a mono.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2016, 11:34:33 AM »
Most sweet tart seeds have come out as multiple Little Seeds this was the first time we got a single seed looks like a mono.
I believe it to be mono but whatever it is no other mango can't touch it. These late Californian grown Sweet Tart put the rest to shame.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2016, 11:59:56 AM »
I beleive both Sindhiri and Kesar has a lot of potential in So Cal. I could taste good flavors in both, kesar was like store bought, need a bit higher brix and we are there

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2016, 03:00:17 PM »
I beleive both Sindhiri and Kesar has a lot of potential in So Cal. I could taste good flavors in both, kesar was like store bought, need a bit higher brix and we are there

Behl
And I had my last Sunrise last night. Sunrise taste was so unique like eating a piney passion fruit and super sweet (brix 24)it would've gave ST and mutant LZ a run for the money. Mutant LZ in addition to tasting like straight orange sherbet it has delicious coconuty taste near the skin, unbelievable. Our mangos have been hanging on the trees for a while and this heatwaves has brought out the best of each.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk