Author Topic: Cara Cara Navel Orange  (Read 5250 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Cara Cara Navel Orange
« on: October 08, 2016, 04:32:24 PM »
My in ground Cara Cara Orange (11'H X 11' W) tree which is growing inside my greenhouse, has begun a big flush/flowering.  I pretty much keep the greenhouse at tropical levels (at least sub-tropical), so the tree flushes year around.  Presently the tree has a crop of mostly full size fruit that are still green. They should start turning orange in a month. The fruit that are just now setting, will mature late next spring, therefore they sometimes will not fully turn yellow due the heat and long days at that time of year.  Selecting mature fruit then can be a bit tricky. - Millet
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 04:35:24 PM by Millet »

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Cara Cara Navel Orange
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 09:16:19 AM »
How about some pix please?

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 11:13:46 AM »
I was actually looking at getting one of these actually. I believe they are the same thing as what they call here, "Red Naval oranges".  I am replacing some trees I transplanted that didn't make it.

Out of curiosity, how big is your greenhouse, Millet? 11' tall sounds large for a green house tree.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 11:28:03 AM »
Tropheus76 my greenhouse is 32' Wide X 72' long X 11' High.  Therefore
 the Cara Cara is getting about as tall as it can and still fit inside the greenhouse.  I will have to start trimming the tree's top growth back pretty soon, however presently as the tree bears fruit the limbs bend down, which helps. .  I also have a Saint Teresa Of Lisieux lemon that is almost reaching the greenhouse top. - Millet

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 03:34:31 AM »
I have a young tree and let a fruit ripen but shouldnt have as I think the tree is too small. The fruit ripened but was only about the size a bit larger than a golf ball. It didnt taste too good pretty sour. How do these fruits taste when properly mature?
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 08:51:36 PM »
stuartdaly I was looking at your home page.  You certainly have a LOT of fruit trees, of all types, very impressive collection.  Although Cara Cara is a sport of the Washington Navel Orange, it is not quite as sweet as the Washington, but with a little sharper taste.  It really is an excellent fruit. - Millet
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 05:17:48 PM by Millet »

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 04:08:03 PM »
stuartdaly I was looking at your home page.  You certainly have a LOT of fruit trees, of all types, very impressive collection.  Although Cara Cara is a sport of the Washington Navel Orange, it is not quite as sweet as the Washington, and with a little sharper taste.  It really is an excellent fruit. - Millet

Here near Houston cara cara is sweeter than Washington and less sharp in taste.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 05:26:27 PM »
Thanks Mr. Texas.  It could be due to the heat of the Huston climate, that makes Cara Cara sweeter, than growing in Colorado.  Under any event it is a great cultivar. - Millet

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 08:06:56 PM »
Thanks Mr. Texas.  It could be due to the heat of the Huston climate, that makes Cara Cara sweeter, than growing in Colorado.  Under any event it is a great cultivar. - Millet

We got the heat. Tonight will be first cold night at 38F. Back to 63F at night Monday.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 01:32:39 AM »
stuartdaly I was looking at your home page.  You certainly have a LOT of fruit trees, of all types, very impressive collection.  Although Cara Cara is a sport of the Washington Navel Orange, it is not quite as sweet as the Washington, but with a little sharper taste.  It really is an excellent fruit. - Millet
Thank you that is great news Im very excited to try a proper one:)!!
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 08:25:48 PM »
Can't wait to try one. I did buy a grafted plant last October. I hope to graft on PTFD next spring to plant in ground. We will see.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 01:21:06 AM »
I like Cara Cara much more than the regular Washington.

Here is a photo comparison of the ones I harvested from my trees.

The taste of Cara Cara I would consider richer in flavor if I were to use a word of choice.

Definitely a MUST have in any citrus garden.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2016, 06:00:37 AM »
Can't wait to try one. I did buy a grafted plant last October. I hope to graft on PTFD next spring to plant in ground. We will see.
Hello my friend! I just buy a Cara Cara tree with one almost ripe fruit there and one Vanigllia orage too! I will report the flavour when i eat it...  :P
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 06:03:33 AM by Luisport »

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2016, 09:24:48 PM »
Hear in So.Calif My Cara Cara Pink Navel on C-35 Rootstock has slow to moderate growth. Planted in 2009 my Cara Cara is about seven feet tall and 6-7 feet wide. The Golden Nugget Mandarin Tree, also on C-35, is just to the right of the Cara Cara on the 1st photo and towers over my little navel and was planted at the same time ( The Gold Nugget is 12-13 feet tall and is upright). If I had to do it all over again I would have planted the Gold Nugget on semi-dwarf rootstock since it is only seven feet from the Cara Cara. I also have a fully mature parent Washington navel tree and both fruit are excellent but different. (Note: The 2nd photo is the Gold Nugget located to the right of the much smaller Cara Cara)

The Cara Cara is higher in sugar and slightly lower in acidity at my location and also ripens 2-3 weeks ahead of the regular Washington Navel orange tree. Side by Side most people prefer the Cara Cara over the standard because of the higher sweetness but in my opinion both are excellent with the standard Washington navel having a more traditional navel flavor and higher acids but the Cara Cara is quite delicious and early in the season I prefer it.

Johnny

« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 09:30:15 PM by Johnny Eat Fruit »

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2016, 09:32:40 PM »
Hear in So.Calif My Cara Cara Pink Navel on C-35 Rootstock has slow to moderate growth. Planted in 2009 my Cara Cara is about seven feet tall and 6-7 feet wide. The Golden Nugget Mandarin Tree, also on C-35, is just to the right of the Cara Cara on the 1st photo and towers over my little navel and was planted at the same time ( The Gold Nugget is 12-13 feet tall and is upright). If I had to do it all over again I would have planted the Gold Nugget on semi-dwarf rootstock since it is only seven feet from the Cara Cara. I also have a fully mature parent Washington navel tree and both fruit are excellent but different. (Note: The 2nd photo is the Gold Nugget located to the right of the much smaller Cara Cara)

The Cara Cara is higher in sugar and slightly lower in acidity at my location and also ripens 2-3 weeks ahead of the regular Washington Navel orange tree. Side by Side most people prefer the Cara Cara over the standard because of the higher sweetness but in my opinion both are excellent with the standard Washington navel having a more traditional navel flavor and higher acids but the Cara Cara is quite delicious and early in the season I prefer it. If you let the regular Washington Navel ripen on the tree untill April the sugar level goes up and the acid level goes down. At this point in time, the flavor is top notch and hard to beat with any citrus.

Johnny

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2016, 06:51:01 PM »
My in ground Cara Cara Orange (11'H X 11' W) tree which is growing inside my greenhouse,

Millet is there a thread dedicated to your greenhouse set up? I'm trying to learn about growing subtropicals  in ground/greenhouse since I will be moving to 7a next year and having all my citrus from the yard here in CA I can't go back to store fruit!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk