Author Topic: Star Fruit Variety?  (Read 1380 times)

John Travis

• Winter Park FL 9b
    • View Profile
Star Fruit Variety?
« on: December 27, 2016, 10:20:03 PM »

I bought this labeled as Fwang Tung and I guess I was expecting the curves along the ridges which never came on any of the fruit. The fruit were also longer and more boxy than I expected. The fruit tasted pretty good, sweet, just a bit of acidity. It's balanced and I could continue to eat them, but it did not blow me away, but hey, it's a starfruit and I'm grateful for fresh fruit this time of year!

In any case I was hoping someone could shed some light on what the variety might actually be. Thanks for the help!
John

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
Re: Star Fruit Variety?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 10:38:33 PM »
Looks like Sri Kembagan- at least what I've been getting from my labelled tree. FT ridges are usually thick as well.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 11:13:44 PM »
Forget the shape for it to be a Fwang Tung.  The second is showed any of that orange color, no Fwang Tung.  From what I can see in the picture, wrong shape for SK.  From the shape a description I would lead towards Bell.  Dis it have an orangey/citrusey flavor?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 11:17:06 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

John Travis

• Winter Park FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 06:57:04 AM »
Forget the shape for it to be a Fwang Tung.  The second is showed any of that orange color, no Fwang Tung.  From what I can see in the picture, wrong shape for SK.  From the shape a description I would lead towards Bell.  Dis it have an orangey/citrusey flavor?

It may have slight citrus notes, but they were minimal. I may have picked them too early as I was expecting a white variety and when they showed more orange color I thought they were well past the ripe stage. I guess next year I'll try again and leave them on until one falls on it's own.
John

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 08:33:36 AM »
Doesn't look at all like the SK's from my tree.
John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk