Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 939803 times)

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #2425 on: November 13, 2017, 04:07:18 PM »
Can anyone confirm if this is a purple haze cutting?
Thanks!

Only DNA testing can confirm a cutting is a Purple Haze clone!

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: November 14, 2017, 12:07:32 AM »
It does look like a purple variety they normally have a heart shaped stems, but it's hard to tell. I have a 2 month old Purple Haze that I got from Linda Nickerson I recommend getting cuttings from her

Thanks! Your cutting does look like it has little hearts

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: November 14, 2017, 12:08:48 AM »
Can anyone confirm if this is a purple haze cutting?
Thanks!

Only DNA testing can confirm a cutting is a Purple Haze clone!

Unfortunately you’re correct :(
And only time will tell when grown from a cutting

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: November 14, 2017, 12:11:37 AM »
I don’t remember if this question has been asked before but is voodoo child the same as S8 sugar dragon. On spicyexotics site he claims that research shows that they are both the same.
I think I read somewhere that they aren’t but can’t recall where I read it from.

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: November 14, 2017, 12:37:27 AM »
I don’t remember if this question has been asked before but is voodoo child the same as S8 sugar dragon. On spicyexotics site he claims that research shows that they are both the same.
I think I read somewhere that they aren’t but can’t recall where I read it from.
They both taste the same to me, I would take a houghton or physical graffiti over the sugar dragon, it's overrated in my view. Better to grow a Frankie's red or colombian yellow if you like them sweeter. I crossed a houghton with a yellow a few years back and this is the first year it has fruited. It is similar in looks to a Frankies Red but has more of a strawberry taste. Once the plant gets bigger I'll be able to distribute cuttings.

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2430 on: November 14, 2017, 12:46:06 AM »
They both taste the same to me, I would take a houghton or physical graffiti over the sugar dragon, it's overrated in my view. Better to grow a Frankie's red or colombian yellow if you like them sweeter. I crossed a houghton with a yellow a few years back and this is the first year it has fruited. It is similar in looks to a Frankies Red but has more of a strawberry taste. Once the plant gets bigger I'll be able to distribute cuttings.

Thanks for the info! I think I’m gonna pass since it’s simialr and I’m being given a S8 cutting.
Wow, how long did it take from seed to fruit?
Please put me on the list for a cutting!
I would love to try a DF with strawberry taste besides a DF that is just sweet.

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: November 14, 2017, 09:49:10 PM »
I never heard of Houghton where can I get cuttings from that variety?

marklee

• View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: November 14, 2017, 10:09:40 PM »
Houghton along with Rixford are Hylocereus spp. that Paul Thomson used when developing varieties such as 8-S known as Voodoo Child and Sugar Dragon. PM me if you would like cuttings of Houghton or pretty much any other cuttings. I have probably 20 types.

marklee

• View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: November 14, 2017, 10:10:04 PM »
The small red one is a cross I made with Houghton and Yellow Colombian, it is the one that has a strawberry melon taste.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 10:42:33 PM by marklee »

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: November 14, 2017, 11:45:59 PM »
The small red one is a cross I made with Houghton and Yellow Colombian, it is the one that has a strawberry melon taste.

Nice! Sounds delicious. Do you have any pictures of the flowers?

marklee

• View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: November 15, 2017, 12:08:09 AM »

Nice! Sounds delicious. Do you have any pictures of the flowers?
Sorry they already bloomed
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 01:31:15 PM by marklee »

marklee

• View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: November 15, 2017, 12:15:39 AM »

Thanks for the info! I think I’m gonna pass since it’s simialr and I’m being given a S8 cutting.
Wow, how long did it take from seed to fruit?
Please put me on the list for a cutting!
I would love to try a DF with strawberry taste besides a DF that is just sweet.
Concerning the S-8 (voodoo child) and sugar dragon, Linda Nickerson explains how she got the cutting from Paul Thomson and they thought they were the same at first, but she noticed a small thorn at the tips of the S-8 and the sugar dragon didn't have the thorns. She also says that the sugar dragon is sweeter. I guess the only way to really know is a DNA test.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 12:23:43 AM by marklee »

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: November 15, 2017, 04:27:14 AM »
https://s7.postimg.cc/t8n6iyg4n/fruit_11_14_17.jpg[/img]

Any chance you can cut the fruit and post a pic of the flesh colour?

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: November 15, 2017, 04:35:10 AM »
On a different note, I have a few similar varieties fruiting at the moment so I may be able to post some pics of ripe fruit for comparison. Pink Panther, Voodoo Child and Sugar Dragon (U.S varieties), as well as Aztec Gem (Aussie variety). All have similar plant growth and young, unripe fruit are also very similar. Pink Panther and Aztec Gem have small spines on the fruit.

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: November 15, 2017, 11:22:47 AM »
On a different note, I have a few similar varieties fruiting at the moment so I may be able to post some pics of ripe fruit for comparison. Pink Panther, Voodoo Child and Sugar Dragon (U.S varieties), as well as Aztec Gem (Aussie variety). All have similar plant growth and young, unripe fruit are also very similar. Pink Panther and Aztec Gem have small spines on the fruit.

So many varieties I haven’t heard of. It would be really interesting to see what the fruit looks like!

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: November 15, 2017, 11:21:08 PM »
S8 and Voodoo Child have been DNA tested by the research team in Irvine and they are NOT the same variety. They are extremely similar and might even be from the same 2 parent strains, but its not a 100% match. I don't have access to the link right now but I do know its somewhere on the Yahoo groups for dragon fruit.

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: November 26, 2017, 07:53:46 AM »
Currently have Haileys Comet, White Vietnamese, 3 Diferent type of Yellow Dragon fruit, Kathie Van Arum, waiting to order Frankies Red and maybe Asunta

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: November 26, 2017, 07:37:36 PM »
Currently have Haileys Comet, White Vietnamese, 3 Diferent type of Yellow Dragon fruit, Kathie Van Arum, waiting to order Frankies Red and maybe Asunta

FYI Epicacti Nursery posted on Facebook;

"New Dragon Fruit varieties available in Spring April/ May and to be added to Mattslandscape.com catalog or can be ordered thru or picked up at walk in nursery Epicacti.com in spring 2018."

1) Tricia 
2) Paisley 
3) Edgar   
4) Townsend Pink
5) Asunta #2
6) Asunta #3
7) AX
8) David Bowie -previously out of stock but been duplicating so should have plenty next year spring 2018
9) Armando 
10) El Grullo -previously out of stock but been duplicating so should have plenty next year spring 2018
11) Houghton   
12) Lisa  -previously out of stock but been duplicating so should have plenty next year spring 2018
13) Hawaiian Gold   

***Even More varieties to be introduced mid summer 2018***
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 07:50:07 PM by ricshaw »

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: November 26, 2017, 07:59:17 PM »
Thanks i talked to the Matt Landscaping yesterday and waiting for the site hopefully to be fixed on Monday or Tuesday. since looking also at Asunta to add with Frankies red.

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: November 28, 2017, 01:08:20 AM »

When you say 3 different types or yellow dragon fruit, do you mean ...
One type from Ecuador like the giant yellow
One from Colombia / Peruvian yellow
And the regular yellow?

ThangBom321

• TX Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2445 on: November 28, 2017, 03:31:32 AM »
I just wanted to share some pictures of my parent's plants. They live in the NW Houston area. They have a dozen or so Dragon Fruit plants. They are grown outside, planted into the ground. We cover them with tarp or plastic touching to the ground in the cold month. They get really dehydrated looking with some dry spots. Once the cold passes, we uncover them and start watering them. They bounce right back and produce in no time.

These pictures are were taken months ago but these plants and doing well.

ThangBom321

• TX Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: November 28, 2017, 03:42:13 AM »
Here is my proud pop standing in the chicken coop.

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: December 01, 2017, 09:00:52 AM »

When you say 3 different types or yellow dragon fruit, do you mean ...
One type from Ecuador like the giant yellow
One from Colombia / Peruvian yellow
And the regular yellow?
Selenicereus Megalanthus Yellow Dragon Fruit Cactus Plant
https://kensnursery.com/product/dragon-fruit-selenicereus-megalanthus-yellow/

Giant Hawaiian Gold Dragon Fruit Cactus Plant
https://kensnursery.com/product/dragon-fruit-giant-yellow-dragon/

3452 Hylocereus sp. - Yellow Pitaya, Dragon Fruit
https://toptropicals.com/cgi-bin/garden_catalog/cat.cgi?uid=hylocereus

one XL peru yellow gold he called on ebay

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: December 01, 2017, 09:07:39 AM »

"New Dragon Fruit varieties available in Spring April/ May and to be added to Mattslandscape.com catalog or can be ordered thru or picked up at walk in nursery Epicacti.com in spring 2018."

1) Tricia 
2) Paisley 
3) Edgar   
4) Townsend Pink
5) Asunta #2
6) Asunta #3
7) AX
8) David Bowie -previously out of stock but been duplicating so should have plenty next year spring 2018
9) Armando 
10) El Grullo -previously out of stock but been duplicating so should have plenty next year spring 2018
11) Houghton   
12) Lisa  -previously out of stock but been duplicating so should have plenty next year spring 2018
13) Hawaiian Gold   

Did you try the Tricia by chance?

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: December 01, 2017, 12:33:11 PM »

1) Tricia 
2) Paisley 
3) Edgar   
4) Townsend Pink
5) Asunta #2
6) Asunta #3
7) AX
9) Armando 
11) Houghton   
13) Hawaiian Gold   

Did you try the Tricia by chance?

Yes, I have. I remember it being good and I am growing it.

The BIG problem is Tricia is a very thorny Dragon Fruit... worst than Lisa.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 12:36:00 PM by ricshaw »