Author Topic: Visiting SE Asia: Which cities are best for fruit?  (Read 2356 times)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Visiting SE Asia: Which cities are best for fruit?
« on: March 16, 2017, 09:19:19 AM »
I am planning a tour of a lifetime and ask which locales have folks found best in the following countries?  Time of year would be a bonus tip.

Thailand
Malaysia
Philippines
Sri Lanka
Borneo
Singapore
Taiwan
Laos
Myanmar
Vietnam

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Re: Visiting SE Asia: Which cities are best for fruit?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 10:19:35 AM »
Scouring the forum, here is what I have found

Singapore
http://www.yearofthedurian.com/2012/08/singapore-durian-guide-3.html

Thailand
Thailand - Chanthaburi and Rayong provinces
In Bangkok I highly recommend you the famous Chatuchak Market and the Or Tor Kor Market

Philippines
southern province of Mindanao
-Davao is the place you are seeking for quality durians. It's considered the fruit basket of the Philippines.
-You can find anything under the sun at Divisoria, it is the country's open air market
-There is big fruit planting region in Pampanga(not too far north of Manila).  Dizon Farms, the supplier of exotic fruits to pretty much every chain of supermarket in the country, has fruit plantations there. The difference with a lot of the fruit from Dizon Farms, is that the fruit you find in the market often comes from a seller's own trees(which 8 of 10 means seedling), while Dizon Farms grows selected varieties.

Bhkkatemoya

• San diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 10:20:04 AM »
We have most of the same fruits.  Just visit the local market and see what's in season.  Good luck and enjoy your trip.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 11:05:03 AM »
Many SE Asian countries experiencing a change in a regular rainfall patterns. Fruit season timings have been changing quite a bit. Old rules can still be good guides, but it isn't written in stone.
Are you planning for this year, or upcoming years?

Gouralata

• fruit trees for warm and wet tropical climate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 12:19:39 PM »
Sibu and Serian (Sarawak) December and January.

Gouralata (Reunion Island)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 01:24:40 PM »
Thanks Gourlata and DL. 

DL: Either fall this year or spring next year is what I have in mind, subject to good info on fruit availability.

Gouralata: Reunion Island in the Seychelles?

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 04:17:03 PM »
Borneo, for sure.

Thailand is good place to stay and eat Durian, they also have nice shopping malls,etc but in my opinion nothing comes close to Borneo (Malaysia & Indonesia) especially if you are looking for rare fruits.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 04:19:31 PM by EvilFruit »
Moh'd

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 12:24:28 AM »
The question is too broad considering many countries and geographical areas covered. You can write a book about it.
Borneo Dec-Jan like already mentioned, but Sabah state has been shifting towards October with weather changes. Borneo while have many exotics, really good stuff maybe harder to find, and their durians are mostly seedlings. Hit or miss quality.

To strictly answer question in the title which city is the best, Singapore might be the best even though they don't grow anything. To name a few, they have all top tier fresh stuff from Malaysia (like chempedak, pulasan and highest quality durians) , cherimoyas (forgot country of origin) atemoyas from Australia, mangoes from Thailand ( and Tommy Atkins from Australia :R2E2 mango  :D ), mangosteens brought from wherever there is season in Asia, all top tiers from subtropics (mostly from Spain and Taiwan). Much better than any selection in SoCal unlike suggestion above  :)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 01:16:09 AM »
Would just add Penang in Malaysia. Try to hit the durian all you can eat at Bao Sheng farm. There are also many excellent chempadeks all around.
Personally i don't care at all for Singapore. Don't like eating fruits out of a supermarkets that have set on the shelves and during transport. I much rather prefer to get the fruits directly from the farms. That is why Chantaburi, Rayong, and Penang are tops. (Have not been to Borneo yet.)
Southern China is the place for lychees. Bali for salaks and wani
Oscar

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 02:10:40 AM »

Personally i don't care at all for Singapore. Don't like eating fruits out of a supermarkets that have set on the shelves and during transport. I much rather prefer to get the fruits directly from the farms. That is why Chantaburi, Rayong, and Penang are tops. (Have not been to Borneo yet.)
Southern China is the place for lychees. Bali for salaks and wani

Singapore fruits are I'm talking about are from street vendors. Most Malaysians fruits are picked in the morning, by afternoon or evening already sold in Singapore. Very fresh. I't almost like saying KL or Bangkok isn't worth looking for fruits, because they don't grow there and have to be "imported" from countryside. Any market fruit or fruit directly from the farm would also be like half day or 1 day old in most cases.
Ignore the fact that Malaysian fruits are officially imported.  For freshness this technical fact doesn't mean anything when buying from street vendors.
In Singapore 1 out 6 citizens is a millionaire. They demand fresh and highest quality. That's exactly what you'll get even for imported fruits from more distant places, because nobody does efficiency like this country.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 11:27:51 AM »
Thanks DL, FL and EF.

To be sure, my plan is to visit all countries listed hence querying on ideal locations within each one.  All input so far is appreciated to craft the plan!

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 01:12:30 PM »

To be sure, my plan is to visit all countries listed hence querying on ideal locations within each one.  All input so far is appreciated to craft the plan!

Ok, I'm not going to touch other countries anymore, whatever other heads say. Will speak only for Sri Lanka.  You'll get mangoes, avocados, soursop and jackfruit all year.   Durians aren't usually in season during fall or spring. In fall you'll probably get cherimoyas depending on exact month. Recently mangosteens seasons have been shifting to spring instead of summer months. Few weeks ago they started coming along. 15 US cents each ! Probably rambutans in spring. Secondary small season from the trees on other side of the island.
We are building attraction house on the farm for people like you. You could probably stay if finish it (whenever). For you I'll give unlimited fruits because I don't really care for sweet fruits anymore. One rolinia tree is holding 150 fruits right now.  All yours if monkeys don't beat you first  :).

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 03:50:40 PM »

Ok, I'm not going to touch other countries anymore, whatever other heads say. Will speak only for Sri Lanka.  You'll get mangoes, avocados, soursop and jackfruit all year.   Durians aren't usually in season during fall or spring. In fall you'll probably get cherimoyas depending on exact month. Recently mangosteens seasons have been shifting to spring instead of summer months. Few weeks ago they started coming along. 15 US cents each ! Probably rambutans in spring. Secondary small season from the trees on other side of the island.
We are building attraction house on the farm for people like you. You could probably stay if finish it (whenever). For you I'll give unlimited fruits because I don't really care for sweet fruits anymore. One rolinia tree is holding 150 fruits right now.  All yours if monkeys don't beat you first  :).

Wow. Let's talk (PM).  Thanks.  Incidentally, I have moved to only eat fruit seasonally now, a shock to those who know me well.  Even then, I am only eating top tier fruits...nothing run of the mill.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk