Author Topic: I feel like bragging a little  (Read 2579 times)

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
I feel like bragging a little
« on: May 26, 2017, 04:36:35 PM »
My 6th grade son last night had his awards ceremony. First he got Straight A's ( he's never had a B ) Each teacher picked their
overall favorite 2 kids in their classes. He was picked for Math and History and then finally they had 10 runner ups for best
overall 6th grader 5 girls and 5 boys. Then only 2 boys and 2 girls got picked as best overall kids in the 6th grade.
He was one of the 2 boys picked,

Today I noticed my Sabara had 5 small fruit on it and 1 was ripe. I saw a few first flowers low on the trunk but the fruit is higher
in the branches. I planted the thing over 6 years ago. Man is it me or is fruit you grow personally taste better?
That first fruit was so wonderful!

Mike

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
Re: I feel like bragging a little
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 06:03:27 PM »
Congrats man!
Dom

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 06:15:49 PM »
Congrats way to go !
Zone 10

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 06:46:41 PM »
Congratulations for your son and the Sabara!

Simon

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 07:52:09 PM »
Straight A son, and straight A fruits?  8)
Oscar

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 09:56:03 PM »
What a rewarding way to start summer break and end the school year. :)
Anisha

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 11:04:20 PM »
It's kind of weird IMO for teachers to pick favorite students. Surprised such a thing exists. We just had "Honor Rolls" kids with good grades got to be on it.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 11:09:16 PM »
To answer your question yes, fruit you grow tastes better than store bought, likely because the stuff we grow cannot be found in stores :-) Jaboticaba are a long wait, but worth it.

Regards,

Gary

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 02:41:13 AM »
^5 to Oscar! Congrats Achetadomestica. I empathize with you. Chris
-Chris

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 06:27:21 AM »
It's kind of weird IMO for teachers to pick favorite students. Surprised such a thing exists. We just had "Honor Rolls" kids with good grades got to be on it.
It's called competition. It's healthy I definitely don't want my kids to strive for mediocrity. At the schools in my area half the
kids are failing and the teachers are frustrated. My other son is 8 and he was in 3rd grade. He had 10 year olds in his class and
after they are held back a couple times they just pass them to get rid of them. If they don't drop out they end up like an employee
I had once that was 18 and graduated and couldn't read. Half the kids are learning at a young age they don't have to try.
Wake up People the next generation can't even wipe their own ass let alone be productive members of a community.
Recently I went on a weekend canoe trip which included two teachers. Both said they are dealing with more then 50% failing kids
and they are not stupid. They just don't try. The teachers are so happy to have kids who want to learn. I am glad my son tried
really hard and was recognized.

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 01:16:44 PM »
Yes, congrats on the student.
40 years back when I was in school, I don't think I ever got a B either, I was more of a C or C+ type of student  :D

DM

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 02:28:55 PM »
It's called competition. It's healthy I definitely don't want my kids to strive for mediocrity. At the schools in my area half the
kids are failing and the teachers are frustrated. My other son is 8 and he was in 3rd grade. He had 10 year olds in his class and
after they are held back a couple times they just pass them to get rid of them. If they don't drop out they end up like an employee
I had once that was 18 and graduated and couldn't read. Half the kids are learning at a young age they don't have to try.
Wake up People the next generation can't even wipe their own ass let alone be productive members of a community.
Recently I went on a weekend canoe trip which included two teachers. Both said they are dealing with more then 50% failing kids
and they are not stupid. They just don't try. The teachers are so happy to have kids who want to learn. I am glad my son tried
really hard and was recognized.

THAT'S the way you parent.  You are to be congratulated.

Makes me sick to hear this excuse from apathetic or lazy parents that the system needs more money.  Learning and being thirsty for knowledge starts in the home.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk