Author Topic: Seeking loving adoptive home for four-year-old grafted mango near Los Angeles  (Read 1337 times)

RuthR

• Los Angeles, (Sherman Oaks) United States
    • View Profile
I believe the phrase to use here is "long time lurker, first time poster."

I have a healthy, 5-foot-tall 4-year-old grafted mango tree that has been in the ground in my San Fernando Valley home since last fall. The trunk is about 1 inch in diameter. It was purchased last fall from Wong Farms in Mecca, California, down by the Salton Sea (amazing place, wonderful people, gorgeous mango trees) for $100. It is a grafted Valencia Pride - it sent out a flower stalk last year, but I cut it off to encourage the tree to conserve its energy for future seasons (after reading that recommendation here!).

However, we are now moving to the Bay Area and I would like to find a new home for it where it will get winter frost protection from a knowledgeable mango lover! If I leave it in my backyard, it is unlikely to succeed with a set of random new owners, is my thinking. There is a $20 adoption fee, just like with a dog, so I know you are serious. My husband and I will help you dig it out of the ground and I've even got a big plastic pot you can take it home in. Email me if you're interested.

Thanks,
Ruth

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 12:09:58 PM by RuthR »

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
Interest3d. I live in the valley as well.

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
You can grow them in bay area except SF.  You should take it with you to the bay area.  Fremont, Walnut creek and Palo Alto area has really nice weather.

RuthR

• Los Angeles, (Sherman Oaks) United States
    • View Profile
Thanks, Knlim2000 - That does answer a question I'd had about whether I might try again once we are somewhere permanent. In the meantime, I'm not going to drag the poor thing all over from apartment to apartment in a pot (though believe me, I thought about it).

Searching online revealed a lot of N. California people whose trees were not fruiting, and I was discouraged. But: We are going to be in the penninsula, so I have some hope now.  Knowing I might able to try again lifts my spirits!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk