Author Topic: Mango preparation for next season - fungicide?  (Read 1354 times)

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Mango preparation for next season - fungicide?
« on: November 05, 2017, 10:48:13 AM »
So it has been a particularly wet year in Florida and it has brought with it special challenges.
The one I face now is what I think is anthracnose.  I have these black spots on leaves (and in a few cases twigs or small branches (this years growth).  They are in shaded parts of the tree away from direct sunlight (low in the canopy in most cases.
I have removed much of these by removing the branches they are on and disposing off away from my yard (easy on my small trees).
There are some left on higher branches.  On my large trees, I will have to do a lot of prunning and would like to avoid that excercise if possible.
So my question is this.

Should I do anything now and through the winter to set my trees up for success in spring with regards to anthracnose?
Can I use Bonide (sulphur) or copper now or should I wait until spring?  Is there any benefit to spraying when I do not anticipate any panicles for a while.
Should I remove the branches with disease from my big trees as well (I may need to do major work)
Should I let the low humidity and cold (may be wishful thinking) temperature of winter do its number before I try chemical treatment?

What do you do to prepare your trees for the next season.  Please don't limit your response to just anthracnose control.

Thanks

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Mango preparation for next season - fungicide?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 12:27:32 AM »
Didn't get a response on this.
Is there a similar post I should look at?
I really want to set up well for next year.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 09:15:52 AM »
I don't claim to be an expert on these things, in fact only a few trees in my yard are old enough to be considered productive.

With that said this is what I plan to do in a few years when the majority of my yard is producing.
(most of the information I learned here)

Before flowering starts I'd start to spray sulfur (if dry) or copper (if humid) once a month.
When flowering I'd spray every 2 weeks sulfur or copper.
I'd keep this up after the fruits develop all the way until harvest (switching between copper and another fungicide to limit resistance).
After the fruits are harvested I'd trim back the trees to the desired size/shape and remove any dead or diseased areas.
I'd be also spraying micro year around. (which i try to do now but I get lazy)

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 09:18:26 AM »
As for your big tree, I'd be afraid to trim it now as it might adversely effect flowering.
If you don't mind that then go ahead and remove the dead dying stuff now otherwise Id wait for March or just do all the trimming after harvest.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 10:02:29 AM »
Do a search.   Jeff had some excellent recommendations (as did others) on fungicides.  I would recommend Phyton 35 or MagnaBon 2005, a systemic copper.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk