Author Topic: Root stock quality??  (Read 2387 times)

Susanne42

• Michigan Zone 5/6
    • View Profile
Root stock quality??
« on: November 12, 2017, 09:10:03 AM »
I just got a Meiwa that is grafted on volckamer. Somewhere I read a comment from somebody that the quality of the fruits is poor and therefore not a good choice for Meiwa but only for lemons.
So I did my own search and found that citrus on volkameriana are rapidly growing, excellent crop and resistance to some diseases. On the negative side it was mentioned that fruit has thicker rind, less acidity, and frost sensitive.

Meiwa is supposed to have thicker rind and less acidity not really bad if the fruit is supposed to be sweet? And temps are not that of an important factor as the tree grows in container anyway.
Am I missing something? Tree is still small and I think could be air rooted off the rootstock? Or use a cutting and graft onto a different rootstock? Would that change quality of the fruit?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Root stock quality??
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 02:16:08 PM »
Volkameriana, a hybrid between lemon and sour range, is a vigorous growing root stock. All vigorous growing root stocks produce fruit of lesser quality. Trifoliate is the root stock of choice for a Meiwa Kumquat.  Volkameriana is OK for trees producing sour tasting fruits, but otherwise it  produces poorer quality fruit. It also produces fruit with lesser quality juice. I certainly would not say that the fruit of your Meiwa will turn out to be bad fruit, just poorer in quality than if the tree was grafted upon trifoliate.  You could certainly air layer layer, or graft onto a different rootstock, or do nothing.  If your really concerned it might be easier to simply purchase a new tree growing on a trifoliate rootstock.

Susanne42

• Michigan Zone 5/6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 02:26:39 PM »
Thank you Millet. Is it possible to grow Meiwa on its own roots? Or not so good? I have one Meiwa on carizzo, came in poor condition this summer and still no sign of growth but looks like it want to go. But heard this was not a good root stock and people recommended to get on on C35 which I did. This tree was the worst I have ever spent money on. Lots of leafs lost during transit although only three days en route. Discovered severe root rot when re-potting. Tree now lost more then 70% of its leafs and really looks pittyful. I so would like to grow a Meiwa but not sure how to get a decent tree. No problems with any other variety.
When I bought the last one (beautiful btw. nice and dark green no leaf dropping just wrong root stock) I did not know what it will be grafted on.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 03:01:30 PM »
Who told you that Carrizo citrange is not a good root stock for Meiwa?  A Carrizo/Meiwa graft should do well, and C-35 citrange should do well also.  Carrizo will produce a larger tree than C-35, and also some what larger sized fruit.  All of my Kumquats are growing on Flying Dragon (only because FD is my rootstock of choice).  One frequently hears Kumquats don't do well on their own roots, but I know some people who have them on their own roots, and so far so good, however grafted on trifoliate is the rootstock of choice.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 03:05:33 PM by Millet »

Susanne42

• Michigan Zone 5/6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 05:33:41 PM »
I just seem to have no luck to buy a good meiwa tree. All trees bought online without possibility to see them up close. I would never have bought them from a store because they were in such bad shape. Makes me kinda sad. I have some from seeds but they will take a long time before they are looking like a tree or have fruits. I got a little Flying dragon and some trifoliate bitter orange and might try grafting a meiwa seedling or a cutting onto it.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 08:01:14 PM »
My meiwa on FD is in ground and does very well. Got it from Ben Salley in Columbia, SC. You can find him on Facebook at simplycitrusnursery.

Susanne42

• Michigan Zone 5/6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 08:25:23 PM »
Thank you. Will check it out :)

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 10:46:52 PM »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 10:01:30 AM »
cowboy, that is good information. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

daytripper

• Long Island, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 10:37:36 AM »
I am looking at buying a meiwa and am told they are grafted onto Trifoliate-Swingle.  I know Trifoliate is good for Meiwa's but I thought swingle was not, can anybody help me out with this?