Author Topic: Myrica Rubra  (Read 1788 times)

elsedgwick

• Thomasville, GA (8b)/TLH, FL (9a Microclimate)
    • View Profile
Myrica Rubra
« on: October 23, 2017, 08:20:25 AM »
I am considering importing Myrica rubra.  I know it has been attempted before with little success, and have spoken with the person who put that order together and one person who successfully grafted scion from some of those plants.  I would be interested in hearing from others who received plants how they treated the plants and whether they had any success at all.
Comments or suggestions from anyone with experience with Myrica rubra more generally - particularly anyone with experience grafting to M. cerifera - would also be appreciated.  Please message me in addition to posting, and I will provide my email.

Many thanks.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Myrica Rubra
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 03:34:51 PM »
Looks like the guy that fruited the good varieties is in that thread. You should contact him for more information.

elsedgwick

• Thomasville, GA (8b)/TLH, FL (9a Microclimate)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 01:21:07 PM »
Thanks; I had seen that post and been in touch with some of the folks involved in that order.  But speaking of the Clouforest forums, if anyone knows the moderators, I have been trying without success to get registered for years - I never received confirmation, and now when I try to register again it says my email is already connected to an account (which I can't access, since I never received confirmation).

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 04:40:05 PM »
On a slightly different topic, I have seedling plants of Myrica rubra. Has anyone been succesful in fruiting it in the tropics? Does it need chill hours to fruit?
Oscar

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 07:01:47 PM »
There are plantings in Hong Kong, which is on the edge of the tropics. I don't know how well it fruits there. A friend told me about it.