Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Long term cold hardy citrus breeding project  (Read 16464 times)

Walt

• USA, Kansas, Kanopolis, zone 6
    • View Profile
Re: Long term cold hardy citrus breeding project
« Reply #100 on: November 15, 2018, 04:08:31 PM »
I have been asked how I'll know which seedlings of US852 are zygotic and which are nucellar.
I noted that Ilya tested the leaves for the poncirus smell.  That's a start.  But I'll also be watching as they germinate. 
I assume seeds that send up single seedlings will be mostly zygotic.  Seeds that send up 2 or more seedlings will be mostly nucellar and will be discarded.  Does that sound right?
I used the word mostly because I read that one citrus variety gives mostly nucellar seedlings in spite of having a single seedling per seed.  And I've read that a seed can have one zygotic seedling plus one or more nucellar seedlings.  But I expect that out of a few hundred seeds, I can save mostly zygotic seedlings by this method.  And that's good enough.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 16, 2018, 01:21:01 AM »
I assume seeds that send up single seedlings will be mostly zygotic.  Seeds that send up 2 or more seedlings will be mostly nucellar and will be discarded.  Does that sound right?
I know that's the theory. But I have also read other literature stating that that's not always the case.

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 16, 2018, 03:51:39 AM »
I rescued several hybrids from germinations that gave one strong and one weak seedling.
Initially weak plants later developed normally. Their selection is quite obvious when cotyledons are of different colors.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Walt

• USA, Kansas, Kanopolis, zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 16, 2018, 12:18:54 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  More would be welcome. 
With over 200 seeds, I could get by using the method I said I planned to use.  But I have no idea what percent will germinate, nor what percent  will be zygotic.  So I might use these additional ways of screening for zygotics.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers