Author Topic: Help with growing Abiu Zone 10b  (Read 1757 times)

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
Help with growing Abiu Zone 10b
« on: November 17, 2017, 08:13:30 PM »
Hey guys, just curious if anyone down here in South Florida has any recommendations on growing abiu. I had one tree that I put in the ground a year ago and hasn’t grown an inch. Looks very unimpressive. I bought that one from pine island nursery. But today I picked up 2 from Excalibur and I want to get them going the right way. Should I grow them in pots until 25gal wth some good potting mix or should I try them in ground again? Any recommendations? Am I missing something important with this species? Excalibur seemed to keep them all in a greenhouse even the large ones. Is there a reason for this?

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
Re: Help with growing Abiu Zone 10b
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 05:38:22 AM »
I also bought one from PIN a few years back..and it slowly.  Died..
Www.sailing-charters.org

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 11:11:16 AM »
They are picky when they are small. They get major ant/scale infestions. I believe they like rich acid highly organic soil and regular watering with acidic non chlorinated water. I would build a giant acidic mound with biochar, perlite and compost/rich soil and put in all the amendments you like to work with. Cover that up with a good foot and a half of mulch and let that settle until Spring. Baby it in a pot until then and look out for pests. I would plant it as the weather starts heating up.
-Josh

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 12:23:08 PM »
woooooweeee that is a recipe for success right there.

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 01:23:39 PM »
They are picky when they are small. They get major ant/scale infestions. I believe they like rich acid highly organic soil and regular watering with acidic non chlorinated water. I would build a giant acidic mound with biochar, perlite and compost/rich soil and put in all the amendments you like to work with. Cover that up with a good foot and a half of mulch and let that settle until Spring. Baby it in a pot until then and look out for pests. I would plant it as the weather starts heating up.

Thank you, I will try that. I kind of assumed they were finicky when small because all small nursery trees I’ve ever seen have scaled up leaves to an extent, but I’ve noticed plenty of forum members in my area with adult 15ft trees that look healthy as can be with hundreds of fruit on them.

9B in Brazil

• Brazil, Santa Catarina, Brusque, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 04:48:35 PM »
Abiu, from the Amazon basin, likes year round high humidity and warmer temperatures, slightly acidic and organic soil.
I am an American from California with a small farm in Southern Brazil. 
Sou americano na Califórnia e tenho um sítio em Brusque, SC, Brasil.

Marc Doyle

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 05:33:17 AM »
🗯
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 08:35:17 PM by Frog Valley Farm »