Author Topic: Lindsay Gasik Video Presentation on Durians  (Read 2594 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Lindsay Gasik Video Presentation on Durians
« on: November 24, 2017, 09:52:27 PM »
Here is a video of Lindsay's recent presentation (November 18) on durians in Hawaii. It's everything you wanted to know about durians, but were afraid to ask.  ;D It's in 6 parts, for a total of over 2 hours. The first and second part the volume is a bit low (had no dedicated mike) so if you have a hard time hearing you can skip to part 3, and after, where the volume gets better.
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eecQSL83m_o&t=73s
Part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0OW_2y65yM&t=57s
Part 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfT9BhSxMnk
Part 4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfT9BhSxMnk
Part 5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVeyZiCKuZ4
Part 6 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-KDlMdkmkY
Oscar

sytanta

• Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    • View Profile
Re: Lindsay Gasik Video Presentation on Durians
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 10:12:14 PM »
Very informative, thanks Oscar!!

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 10:05:37 AM »
A lot of good information. 
I like the idea of establishing local selections as opposed to obsessing with Asian varieties.  Thirty years ago Costa Rican planters figured they would save time by planting Hawaiian macadamia selections.  Turned out that conditions are different and it was a mistake.  That could be a lesson for durian growers as well.  I'm going to put more effort into making local selections and grafting them.
Among the other good ideas is an approach to intercropping.  I think this can work best with larger durian trees working to shade something like cacao, which was mentioned.  We also make a durian flavored chocolate bar.  I am also planting durian with salak.  I let the durian fruits fall and I suppose I could place a net under durians that might cause damage.
Our durians are mostly on slopes, with logs or some obstacle to stop the rolling durians just out of the impact zone.
thanks again, Oscar.
Peter

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 05:25:04 PM »
Is there anyone alive who enjoys Durian than this lady?  She represents a walking durian...in a nice way.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 08:39:25 PM »
Thank you for loading this talk very very nice!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 10:23:40 PM »
I like the idea of establishing local selections as opposed to obsessing with Asian varieties.  Thirty years ago Costa Rican planters figured they would save time by planting Hawaiian macadamia selections.  Turned out that conditions are different and it was a mistake.  That could be a lesson for durian growers as well.  I'm going to put more effort into making local selections and grafting them.
Among the other good ideas is an approach to intercropping.  I think this can work best with larger durian trees working to shade something like cacao, which was mentioned.  We also make a durian flavored chocolate bar.  I am also planting durian with salak.  I let the durian fruits fall and I suppose I could place a net under durians that might cause damage.
Our durians are mostly on slopes, with logs or some obstacle to stop the rolling durians just out of the impact zone.
thanks again, Oscar.
Peter
Glad you enjoyed it. Selecting durian types that do well in your area is very important . That is why i planted 1/2 grafted and 1/2 seedling trees. Have one seedling tree that is better quality than the grafts and perfect small size. The large grafted types don't sell well here due to high cost.
Durian flavored chocolate sounds good. At the presentation the had a durian drink that was pretty good. It was a durian honey drink, kind of tasted like durian kombucha.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 10:27:56 PM »
Is there anyone alive who enjoys Durian than this lady?  She represents a walking durian...in a nice way.
You gotta be kidding, right? She leads durian tours through Asia, all westerners addicted to durians. Do i need to mention that durian is the #1 favorite fruit of Thai people? Did you catch how many hundreds of metric tons of durians Thailand produces per year?   :o
Oscar

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 10:33:10 PM »
thanks again, Oscar.
Peter
Glad you enjoyed it. Selecting durian types that do well in your area is very important . That is why i planted 1/2 grafted and 1/2 seedling trees. Have one seedling tree that is better quality than the grafts and perfect small size. The large grafted types don't sell well here due to high cost.
Durian flavored chocolate sounds good. At the presentation the had a durian drink that was pretty good. It was a durian honey drink, kind of tasted like durian kombucha.

I want that Tempoyak so bad. All the durians too. :)
-Josh

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 10:34:11 PM »
Thank you for loading this talk very very nice!
Glad people are enjoying it, especially since it took forever to upload to youtube. Probably cause i used HD, might go with low resolution next time, or upload from a place with super fast connection.
Oscar

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 11:25:53 PM »
You gotta be kidding, right? She leads durian tours through Asia, all westerners addicted to durians. Do i need to mention that durian is the #1 favorite fruit of Thai people? Did you catch how many hundreds of metric tons of durians Thailand produces per year?   :o

Typo.  I meant to say: Is there anyone alive who enjoys Durian MORE than this lady?

I follow her blog and her depth of knowledge is fascinating.

FruitFool

• san diego, ca, USDA zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 02:51:31 AM »
Thank you Oscar and Lindsay.

I have never tasted a Durian, from what I have read the smell may be
off putting but after watching this video talk, I am getting myself ready
to buy a frozen one at local Asian market.

-FruitFool

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 09:21:32 AM »
I have a seedling durian that has been producing for more than 10 years now.  The fruit is small, sweet, and not so heavy with pulp.  The smell is not so overpowering either.  It's a great introduction durian that I have been grafting for the last couple of years as the 'Isla' selection.
Luckily there was a program in this area of communal nurseries in the mid eighties that distributed lots of different fruit trees, including durian to campesinos who had no idea what they were.  There's quite a few of these around and the videos have gotten me motivated to focus on seeking the best  to re-produce in my nursery.
Peter

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 09:22:47 AM »

Indo Java have durian so much too, you see here..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHD0AB0OvLY&feature=push-u&attr_tag=ImoGTX_GWW9X0t6h-6

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk