Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

What rootstock is usually used for container-grown citrus?

(1/5) > >>

Daintree:
Most/all of my citrus appear to be grafted.  I have bought them from local garden stores, and some from a place in Oregon. Mark in Texas recently found out that my finger lime is grafted onto flying dragon.  This made me wonder what the others are grafted onto.  Is there a "standard" or "usual" rootstock that is used? Just curious...

Carolyn

Isaac-1:
Here in Louisiana we have two main citrus nurseries, until recently my understanding is both used Carrizo as their primary root stock, one of which also sells some dwarf versions on flying dragon.  I have recently learned that one of these nurseries (Saxon Becnel) is now primarily using Kuharski Citrange, which appears to be a Carrizo variant, except on Limes and Kumquats which they grow on C-22, which I believe are incompatible with Carrizo.  There seems to be little information online about Kaharski, and most of it is dated in the last few years.  In my research on this root stock , I noted that about 1/3 of Florida citrus was being grown on this root stock a couple of years ago.

Daintree:
Interesting!
Thank you!

Carolyn

Millet:
Most all of my container grown citrus trees are grafted on Flying Dragon.  It is so, because I request that Flying Dragon be used as the root stock.  My in ground Cara Cara which is now fully grown (11-ft H X 11-ft W) is also growing on Flying Dragon.   It is no doubt a great root stock for container trees.

citrange:
I have spoken to several nursery growers (mainly European) about this.
It appears that they have two approaches to rootstocks.
Firstly they use whatever they have found quickly produces a visually appealing tree; secondly they use whatever is being used locally for in-ground commercial citrus production.
There is little scientific research into rootstocks for long-term container growth because there is no commercial driver for such research. Further, the container growing mix and growing environment is likely to be much more variable than for a commercial fruit grower, so comparisons are difficult.
The producers aim is to have a good-looking plant ready for sale in the shortest possible time. Fruit quality or plant growth after the first few years is of no interest to them. In fact some producers have admitted to me that it does them little harm if a plant dies or gets thrown out after a couple of seasons. They then have an opportunity for another sale.
The number of buyers who - unlike members of this forum - have any knowledge of rootstocks must be very small.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version