Author Topic: Florida Growers Get Ready For The Cold Snap  (Read 1760 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 06:48:30 PM by Millet »

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
Re: Florida Growers Get Ready For The Cold Snap
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 08:00:06 PM »
No obvious freeze damage here near Houston. Got to 26F last night, the same tonight.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 04:58:26 PM by mrtexas »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 08:57:18 PM »
Did  you notice all the young replants throughout the grove?   Probably replacement trees dead from greening.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 10:10:43 AM »
Did  you notice all the young replants throughout the grove?   Probably replacement trees dead from greening.
I notice the pure sand they are 'hydroponically' those trees in.

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 01:37:47 PM »
Most of the video seemed to be shot from a drone to me ! I saw lots of small replants all through the grove.

A.T. Hagan

• N/C Fla
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 04:16:28 PM »
It has certainly been a year for cold protection down here.

In my part of Florida we just had our fourth or fifth hard freeze (as in 28f or below) and probably that many lighter frosts.

Picked a bad year to buy a lot of new citrus!  Fortunately the winter of '09-10 taught me a lesson and none of them are in the ground.  I'm tired of schlepping those containers in and out though.  Another light frost tonight then tomorrow I can haul them all back into the sun again.

We've had more chill hours already this year than I think we got in the last two, possibly three, winters combined.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 04:58:37 PM »
Two nights here around 19-21F. Weather was cool last week. I was almost thinking our weather was the same as
Tampa, FL. Well we are zone 10a except for the odd 8b 19-21F night every few years. Just enough freezes to not successfully
grow mango in the ground! School was closed for two days due to ice on the streets. I could feel the ground crunching
under my feet on two days.

Not as bad as last year. Last year we had a week of 80F and then 19F for two nights. It split
the trunk of my 12 satsuma trees, first time ever since 2000.

I protected my 1st year in ground white sapote by covering with a garbage can but it still defoliated.

Due to the threat of greening I planted my carrizo rootstock trees in the ground this year. Most of the
others are on flying dragon. But FD is so slow. Might get a few good years out of the carrizo trees, who knows.
Trees on carrizo grow at least 5+x as fast as FD. In 5 years the tree is almost mature.

Apparently a good freeze like this kills psyllids almost completely, we shall see, had them last year.

I looked back 10 years and there are just a 8b few nights!

https://weatherspark.com/y/9247/Average-Weather-in-Houston-Texas-United-States-Year-Round

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk