Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

Good greenhouse management site

(1/3) > >>

Mark in Texas:
http://www.greenhousegrower.com/technology/natural-ventilation-and-fog-increase-cooling-efficiency/

I found the comparisons between indirect greenhouse heaters and direct heaters, their effect on plant growth, efficiency, etc. really interesting too.

brian:
Thanks for this.   I'm still very interested in setting up a fogging system for my greenhouse.  I'm not in a prime climate for evaporative cooling, but I'm hoping its still worthwhile.

I just browsed the daily weather for my area from last year.  If I look at midday hours where it was warm with clear skies, the relative humidity is usually around 50%.   A quick browse around suggests that 50% humidity is low enough to get a significant benefit from evaporative cooling, even if its not as good as in drier areas.  Using daily averaged humidity to judge effectiveness seems misleading to me, because my greenhouse only needs cooling when its sunny.  Most cooling guides are about air conditioning for people's homes, and they care about maintaining temperature even at night and when its cloudy and rainy. 

Mark, I just noticed you are talking about heating guides, but the link you provided is about fogger cooling.  Do you have a link to the heating guide you're describing also?  Maybe you pasted the wrong link.

I've been thinking a lot about heating also.  My understanding is plant roots like to be warm, but foliage can be rather cold.  I started dreaming of a fully hydroponic growing system using heated water, while running only minimal air heating.  Would this work?

Mark in Texas:

--- Quote from: brian on February 12, 2018, 04:24:15 PM ---Thanks for this.   I'm still very interested in setting up a fogging system for my greenhouse.  I'm not in a prime climate for evaporative cooling, but I'm hoping its still worthwhile.
--- End quote ---

Then you need to check out Brad's hoop house thread.  He's done all the homework for us.  Look at his video....too cool. http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=26039.50

--- Quote ---I just browsed the daily weather for my area from last year.  If I look at midday hours where it was warm with clear skies, the relative humidity is usually around 50%.   A quick browse around suggests that 50% humidity is low enough to get a significant benefit from evaporative cooling, even if its not as good as in drier areas.  Using daily averaged humidity to judge effectiveness seems misleading to me, because my greenhouse only needs cooling when its sunny.  Most cooling guides are about air conditioning for people's homes, and they care about maintaining temperature even at night and when its cloudy and rainy. 
--- End quote ---

Unless you have temps in the upper 90's or 100's, considering the high RH, I'd just inject or exhaust ambient air.  Whatever you do don't install a swamp cooler.  They're not only useless but a PITA to maintain.

Mark, I just noticed you are talking about heating guides, but the link you provided is about fogger cooling.  Do you have a link to the heating guide you're describing also?  Maybe you pasted the wrong link.

I've been thinking a lot about heating also.  My understanding is plant roots like to be warm, but foliage can be rather cold.  I started dreaming of a fully hydroponic growing system using heated water, while running only minimal air heating.  Would this work?
[/quote]

Bill Blevins:

--- Quote from: brian on February 12, 2018, 04:24:15 PM --- I'm still very interested in setting up a fogging system for my greenhouse.
--- End quote ---

I'm looking for a small scale fogging system that lets me spray 5 seconds every 30 minutes like what you find in the produce section in a grocery store. This would be for a small propagation box/tent and not for a whole greenhouse. If anyone sees anything like that when you are poking around the Internet...

brian:
Bill, you might be able to use a personal misting system designed for use in small rooms, attached to umbrellas, or near pools

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version