Author Topic: Best avocado's for semitropical climate?  (Read 3606 times)

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
Best avocado's for semitropical climate?
« on: February 22, 2018, 11:22:46 PM »
I have been going through the forum but most information comes from Californian members, except CT MIAMI, My climate in Vallarta is similar to South Florida with a bit of warmer Winter, I have based on the forum reviews thinking in Sharwil and Jan Boyce, any other suggestions?
Edit
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 08:13:44 AM by Raulglezruiz »
El verde es vida!

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Best avocado's for semitropical climate?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 01:41:54 AM »
those are two very good candidates for you. your climate is on the West closer to California. you got the mayor producer of avocados in the world. michoacon and with respect to Carlos his venture was risky he started with a bad hang and couldn't turn it around he

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 02:09:54 AM »
Florida or Hawaii cultivars would work for you. The question only is "how do you get them?" According to Luc everything there in Pto. Vallarta are seedlings.
Oscar

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 08:18:11 AM »
those are two very good candidates for you. your climate is on the West closer to California. you got the mayor producer of avocados in the world. michoacon and with respect to Carlos his venture was risky he started with a bad hang and couldn't turn it around he
Hi JF unfortunately any of the Michoacan types work for my area, Hass only grow here but don't set fruits, my climate is more similar to Hawaii than California I'm latitude 20.5
El verde es vida!

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 08:24:27 AM »
Florida or Hawaii cultivars would work for you. The question only is "how do you get them?" According to Luc everything there in Pto. Vallarta are seedlings.
Hi Oscar! Luc is right here there's only seedlings, I already secured a couple one is with a beautiful elegant long pear shape and ok flavor, and another very good oily flesh with a combination of green /black skin when ripe, this one falls from the tree when is time and doesn't bruises at all, about how to get the scions I'm trading with some forum members,
El verde es vida!

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 08:57:29 AM »
If your ordering scions,
Carlos mentioned that Pinkerton and Holiday do pretty well in South Florida.
So you might want to consider those as they seem pretty highly rated in California.
Nishikawa (from Hawaii) seem to do well too.

As for Florida ones, Day and Oro Negro seems to get a lot of attention.
I really like the sweet taste of Lula and Super Hass from SWFL is really good too.

I've tasted a few others and they are nothing special to me.

Thats all I know on the subject, hope it helps.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 09:33:57 AM »
I have info from experienced growers who swear by Hazzard and Rincon for hot tropical areas, Pinkerton too.  Heck, I'll just shoot a photo of page one fer ya.

Been to P. Vallarta, took trips into the jungles.  I think the uplands would support most of the Cali. types.  You may have to go with the typical W. Indies or hybrids with Guatemelan.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 06:15:44 PM by Mark in Texas »

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 11:17:39 AM »
Dupuis is the best tasting early variety. The hybrids like Brogdon and Oro Negro would be worth a try. Maybe Catalina and Jose Antonio. Maybe you can set up some sort of informal review board and find the best seedling trees around your region. I bet you would discover some other really great fruits along the way.

I am really interested in this species as well. This link is a pdf download.

www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/6/1/99/pdf
-Josh

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 12:39:33 PM »
Raul, a Hawaiian variety that has grown well for me but not fruited yet is Malama one of taste test winners in Hawaii. Also has taken cold this year 30F for a week now and still looks great with just over head frost cloth! Looks like it's going to flower this year too! 8)

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 01:05:07 PM »
Hey Raul. Oro Negro is growing nicely for me here South of Miami. I don't do much for it. Barely any mulch. Rarely fertilize, and it has grown thick bushy and green. Hoping for fruits this year. I can send some scions if you like.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 09:44:25 PM »
Hi Oscar! Luc is right here there's only seedlings, I already secured a couple one is with a beautiful elegant long pear shape and ok flavor, and another very good oily flesh with a combination of green /black skin when ripe, this one falls from the tree when is time and doesn't bruises at all, about how to get the scions I'm trading with some forum members,
Do the scions get there fresh enough to take?
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 09:49:34 PM »
Dupuis is the best tasting early variety. The hybrids like Brogdon and Oro Negro would be worth a try. Maybe Catalina and Jose Antonio. Maybe you can set up some sort of informal review board and find the best seedling trees around your region. I bet you would discover some other really great fruits along the way.

I have chucte aka Coyo, Persea schiedeana. It's flowering like crazy right now. I started selling both seeds and scions since last year. The seeds are $5 each, and the scions $10 each.
Oscar

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 08:15:19 AM »
I have info from experienced growers who swear by Hazzard and Rincon for hot tropical areas, Pinkerton too.  Heck, I'll just shoot a photo of page one fer ya.

Been to P. Vallarta, took trips into the jungles.  I think the uplands would support most of the Cali. types.  You may have to go with the typical W. Indies or hybrids with Guatemelan.
Thanks Mark, I'll try with Pinkerton!
El verde es vida!

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2018, 08:16:49 AM »

[/quote thanks for the PDF Josh, has nice information!
El verde es vida!

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2018, 08:20:05 AM »
Raul, a Hawaiian variety that has grown well for me but not fruited yet is Malama one of taste test winners in Hawaii. Also has taken cold this year 30F for a week now and still looks great with just over head frost cloth! Looks like it's going to flower this year too! 8)
Hi Scott, Malama sounds like a winner, thanks for the suggestion il try to get some scions
El verde es vida!

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2018, 08:26:49 AM »
Hey Raul. Oro Negro is growing nicely for me here South of Miami. I don't do much for it. Barely any mulch. Rarely fertilize, and it has grown thick bushy and green. Hoping for fruits this year. I can send some scions if you like.
PM
El verde es vida!

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2018, 08:28:31 AM »
Do the scions get there fresh enough to take?
When I received them in just a few days yes...
El verde es vida!

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2018, 08:44:33 AM »
Raul,

I can add some Oro negro Scions if you'd like

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk