Author Topic: Mango experts what do I plant in ground next!  (Read 9419 times)

chris1

• Brevard county, Florida zone 9b
    • View Profile
Mango experts what do I plant in ground next!
« on: May 04, 2018, 04:07:18 PM »
Yes this thread is almost identical to another one in regards to avocados but I will likely buy a mango and avocado on the same day due to the driving distance to Excalibur. I planted several fruit trees last year in my yard and as far as mangos go I have a Pickering and Honey Kiss that have fruit on them this year already and are doing very well. My Mahachanok is not doing well and seems to have suffered some serious and possibly irreparable damage which I posted about last week sometime. I will give this tree a month or two to show me that it will stay alive. That being said all these are in the back yard. I have two great spots possibly three for trees I can put in the front yard this year. One will likely go to an avocado while one will likely go to another mango that compliments my others well. I live in zone 9b on the space coast of Florida with very good draining sandy soil. I would prefer to keep a tree pruned to about 12 feet so I can reach all the fruit but a little taller is ok. I would like something that could possibly extend my ripening season of my other mangoes if possible either by being earlier or later than the other varieties or ideally something that ripens fruit multiple times throughout the year. Disease resistance is something that is important to me especially after seeing my Mahachanok take such a beating. Wind tolerance is important since this will be in the front yard not the back and won’t have protections from the house and nearby fence it will be in the open. I would prefer a prolific reliable fruiter and of course something that makes a great tasting mango. I have not tried a lot of mangoes(including the ones I have) but I have tried a Philippine and I loved it. I appreciate any suggestions you all may have on what would work well for me. Thank you!

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango experts what do I plant in ground next!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 04:16:54 PM »
I'd consider Cac or Fairchild. They both do very well in my yard and they are both delicious. Fairchild can easily be kept smaller. Cac is a little more vigorous.

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 04:54:03 PM »
Sweet Tart and Lemon Meringue/PPK
Sergio

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 06:33:24 PM »
Keitt is always the best to extend the season, although Neelam is also very late. Neelam can be kept smaller, but some do not like the flavor. Keitt has a good traditional mango flavor. Early, you could go with a rosigold. One of the earliest mangoes and pretty much bullet proof. Probably tastes similar to philippine, although I would say better. And easily kept small. Sweet tart is a good mango, but it is vigorous and will be hard to keep 12 ft. I would also suggest Carrie for taste and I've seen multiple blooms from them. Some say they don't like the flavor, so possibly try one first. Also are people who seem to think they are susceptible to some new strains of anthracnose. I have not observed that yet. I am in 9b, Brevard.

chris1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 02:08:21 AM »
Sweet Tart and Lemon Meringue/PPK

These two are very interesting and I have seen a lot written about the sweet tart and it being a vigorous grower this is one of the varieties I was considering actually.

I'd consider Cac or Fairchild. They both do very well in my yard and they are both delicious. Fairchild can easily be kept smaller. Cac is a little more vigorous.

I have heard of the Fairchild but not the Cac. I tried doing some google history and didn’t find much whereas I could find plenty on the Fairchild.

Keitt is always the best to extend the season, although Neelam is also very late. Neelam can be kept smaller, but some do not like the flavor. Keitt has a good traditional mango flavor. Early, you could go with a rosigold. One of the earliest mangoes and pretty much bullet proof. Probably tastes similar to philippine, although I would say better. And easily kept small. Sweet tart is a good mango, but it is vigorous and will be hard to keep 12 ft. I would also suggest Carrie for taste and I've seen multiple blooms from them. Some say they don't like the flavor, so possibly try one first. Also are people who seem to think they are susceptible to some new strains of anthracnose. I have not observed that yet. I am in 9b, Brevard.

Neelam I will need to do some searching on. I have had Keith and while I do enjoy them I am not super excited about it. Doesn’t blow me away with how good it is. Carrie I also enjoyed and love buying them from all the locals that sell it as it is very sweet and incredibly juicy but I don’t feel the need to grow my own. Something I can’t get easily from others is more exciting to me. Rosigold I am not familiar with I will do some research on that and see what I can learn. Second vote for Sweet Tart. I have read a lot about this mango and almost all positive. Seems to be a great variety. Does this one ripen over an extended period of time or more than once in a season? Thanks for the experience from Brevard county I see a lot of people growing mangoes well in our county so that’s good to see they can do well here.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 06:08:37 AM »
CAC is an excellent mango that seems to set fruit through powdery mildew  but as already stated will be a vigorous large tree, not yet sure about the Bearing habit. PPK, AKA lemon marangue is an excellent very early mango in a lot of top 10 lists, but also a very vigorous and large tree. Sweet Tart is a seemingly heavy producer in my yard and just a all out flavor bomb if you can figure out how to pick and ripen them your exact preference, mid season I think. Vigorous maybe but in the way that a Carrie might be. Fills out nicely but a manageable terminal size. Sweet tart is IMO the best of the indo Chinese flavor profile i have tried but I hear that Kathy/K3 is similar and has an extended season. I agree not to plant a thing that you can pick up around town for $1or 2 / lb that being said I planted a Carrie and a VP in my collection just because I love them.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 06:15:10 AM »

Sweet tart 25gl second season in the ground, put on so much fruit it didn't have a lot of time to flush new growth.

chris1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 09:52:28 AM »
CAC is an excellent mango that seems to set fruit through powdery mildew  but as already stated will be a vigorous large tree, not yet sure about the Bearing habit. PPK, AKA lemon marangue is an excellent very early mango in a lot of top 10 lists, but also a very vigorous and large tree. Sweet Tart is a seemingly heavy producer in my yard and just a all out flavor bomb if you can figure out how to pick and ripen them your exact preference, mid season I think. Vigorous maybe but in the way that a Carrie might be. Fills out nicely but a manageable terminal size. Sweet tart is IMO the best of the indo Chinese flavor profile i have tried but I hear that Kathy/K3 is similar and has an extended season. I agree not to plant a thing that you can pick up around town for $1or 2 / lb that being said I planted a Carrie and a VP in my collection just because I love them.

Thanks for the advice. The sweet tart is starting to pull ahead but I wish I could try one before planting it in the ground. How is the Kathy/k3 different? Extended season as in it has more than one crop or it just ripens over a longer period? I see you also are in Merritt Island if you have any extra fruit of any of your trees I would be happy to donate some $$ for the chance to get some fruit from you to try them. Thanks for the info. I will also now look into the k3

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 10:13:57 AM »
Thanks for the advice. The sweet tart is starting to pull ahead but I wish I could try one before planting it in the ground.

Can't go wrong with Sweet Tart.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2018, 10:45:43 AM »
Wasn't able to try K3 but read the forum thread on it and it was described as sweet tarts less attractive but still really hot little sister🤔.  Can't really comment acuratly on the extended season but i assume it would be fruit coming in at different times from the same fruit set as opposed to multiple blooms, which we seem to have been getting on all of our mango trees here on the island. I will deffinatly save a sweet tart or two for you and post a current picture of the tree. The recent wind has dropped alot of fruit on all the trees in the area but ST is still holding and impressive amount of fruit for its size and establishment. Also you can get ST in the 25gl size and I think K3 is small 15gl at best. If you need someone who can go to ZHPP Jeff from Enseys goes at least once a month if you want his # PM me.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2018, 11:06:57 AM »
If you want that wow factor sweet tart is hard to beat. The major draw back is it's vigorous. Just like CAC/coc
Also it sort of conflicts with your seasons approach.

You can look into Pina colada if you want a small intense fruit. Tree is not vigorous either.

For your early season dwarf Hawaiian has the strongest flavor of the bunch. Though it does have some fiber.

Maha is supposed to be very disease resistant and the season is supposed to be extended. The tree is not that vigorous either. This would be my choice but seeeing as your having problems with your... Maybe not.

Do you have any ideas what flavors your looking for?

Julie and it's progenies are worth considering too.

chris1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2018, 11:13:45 AM »
Thanks for the advice. The sweet tart is starting to pull ahead but I wish I could try one before planting it in the ground.

Can't go wrong with Sweet Tart.

Thanks. It may end up being the winner it seems.

Wasn't able to try K3 but read the forum thread on it and it was described as sweet tarts less attractive but still really hot little sister🤔.  Can't really comment acuratly on the extended season but i assume it would be fruit coming in at different times from the same fruit set as opposed to multiple blooms, which we seem to have been getting on all of our mango trees here on the island. I will deffinatly save a sweet tart or two for you and post a current picture of the tree. The recent wind has dropped alot of fruit on all the trees in the area but ST is still holding and impressive amount of fruit for its size and establishment. Also you can get ST in the 25gl size and I think K3 is small 15gl at best. If you need someone who can go to ZHPP Jeff from Enseys goes at least once a month if you want his # PM me.

Thanks for the description. I didn’t realize we would get multiple blooms on the island that’s excellent. This is my first year with mangoes growing so this is all new to me. 25 gallon seems like a very large tree to me but that’s probably because the others I have bought have been smaller. Any idea how much that would be? Or for that matter how big a 25 gallon tree would be? I’m guessing would put on fruit next season. Also I don’t know what ZHPP is. If there is someone that goes regularly it may be a good option. I have bought most of my trees from Excalibur in South Florida as it is on the way home from work for me and I do that drive 3-4 times a month usually. Thanks again for your help. I will do,some more research on the k3 but sweet tart seems to be like a real winner. Any idea when they would ripen this year?  Thanks again!

chris1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2018, 11:19:03 AM »
If you want that wow factor sweet tart is hard to beat. The major draw back is it's vigorous. Just like CAC/coc
Also it sort of conflicts with your seasons approach.

You can look into Pina colada if you want a small intense fruit. Tree is not vigorous either.

For your early season dwarf Hawaiian has the strongest flavor of the bunch. Though it does have some fiber.

Maha is supposed to be very disease resistant and the season is supposed to be extended. The tree is not that vigorous either. This would be my choice but seeeing as your having problems with your... Maybe not.

Do you have any ideas what flavors your looking for?

Julie and it's progenies are worth considering too.
Thanks for the reply. Dwarf Hawaiian I have seen talked about as a possible multiple crop tree and stays fairly small. That is one I have been researching also. I was unaware it was fiberous but if it isn’t s lot of fibers than that isn’t too bad. As for flavors I like, well the Philippine is my favorite mango I have ever tasted but I’ve only had a small handful of different mango types. Glenn Carrie Haden Keitt and a couple unknown. All were delicious but the phillipine was definitely a stand out. If my Mahachanok doesn’t turn around fast I may rip it out of the ground and put a new one in so I haven’t given up on the variety just had a bad experience with mine so far. Thanks for your help!

chris1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2018, 11:20:30 AM »
Do I need to worry about wind protection with any of these as they would be put on the windy side of the house with no protection?

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2018, 12:01:58 PM »
ZHPP is the wholesale nursery, Excalibur is retail. If Excalibur is convenient for you I would just go there and pick out the best looking tree for myself. Not sure about the price maybe in the $200 range? I am impatient and it's totally worth the extra money for me to have fruit the next season 25gl vs 7gl 3yrs.  My suggestion is to taste test as many varieties as you can and then graft a few cocktail trees of all your top 10 or however the # works out. My ST was a 25gl and hasn't really flushed growth yet, just loads of fruit.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 06:34:32 AM by mangomongo »

chris1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2018, 02:05:50 PM »
ZHPP is the wholesale nursery, Excalibur is retail and they are brothers. If Excalibur is convenient for you I would just go there and pick out the best looking tree for myself. Not sure about the price maybe in the $200 range? I am impatient and it's totally worth the extra money for me to have fruit the next season 25gl vs 7gl 3yrs.  My suggestion is to taste test as many varieties as you can and then graft a few cocktail trees of all your top 10 or however the # works out. My ST was a 25gl and hasn't really flushed growth yet, just loads of fruit.

Yeah 200ish is worth it I think. I am all about immediate gratification but I will wait until I can taste some of the varieties suggested here but there are some pretty convincing suggestions for the sweet tart. Excalibur often has fresh mangoes to try.

MangoCountry

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2018, 02:23:49 PM »
You should visit tropical acres and try out some of his mangoes. Going down there multiple times last year inspired me to plant over 20 mango trees in my front yard. He has over 260 varieties and valuable input on variety selection.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2018, 10:51:18 PM »
ZHPP is the wholesale nursery, Excalibur is retail and they are brothers. If Excalibur is convenient for you I would just go there and pick out the best looking tree for myself. Not sure about the price maybe in the $200 range? I am impatient and it's totally worth the extra money for me to have fruit the next season 25gl vs 7gl 3yrs.  My suggestion is to taste test as many varieties as you can and then graft a few cocktail trees of all your top 10 or however the # works out. My ST was a 25gl and hasn't really flushed growth yet, just loads of fruit.

No, that is absolutely incorrect. Those two nurseries and the owners are unrelated.

chris1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2018, 10:56:40 PM »
You should visit tropical acres and try out some of his mangoes. Going down there multiple times last year inspired me to plant over 20 mango trees in my front yard. He has over 260 varieties and valuable input on variety selection.

I would love to maybe even need to do this. Where would I find a website or address or contact info or anything? Thanks I would love to do just that and get down there and try some fruit.

MangoCountry

• View Profile

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2018, 06:38:43 AM »

No, that is absolutely incorrect. Those two nurseries and the owners are unrelated.

Edited post. I thought Excalibur was owned by Walter Zill but I had never been there myself.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2018, 10:13:32 AM »
I have some fresh Mahachanok scions sitting in the fridge.  Can someone give me a taste profile?   Have a friend who says they taste like a carrot.

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2018, 11:13:17 AM »
I agree that trying as many mangoes as possible and then choosing is the way to go. Also, if you go to Excalibur, try to talk to Rob who works there. He can help you pick out a really great tree and will have tons of advice for your mango trees... Because you live n Merritt Island, you should not have to worry too much about disease pressures. So happy mango hunting. According to Chris at Truly Tropical (you can find them on youtube), Rosa mango has multiple crops each year and is the earliest mango at her grove. Rosa is from Brazil I believe. She may have some now...

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2018, 11:29:36 AM »
Thanks for the advice. The sweet tart is starting to pull ahead but I wish I could try one before planting it in the ground
You will not be able to try ripe one until late July or so. It can be very sweet. If this is a negative for you then.....

My Fairchild gets no disease and is easy to prune and keep small though my Pickering is a slower grower
My sweet tart tree is not a crazy grower. Can be kept small. Also Can be kept small--- Pina Colada and Nam Doc Mai

How vulnerable to mango theft is yr front yard? Sweet Tart and Fairchild fruits are medium size and inconspicuous....with no nice red colors.

Driving all the way to Excalibur....I would make a list of your top five choices for mango and avocado and go with the best looking tree they have for sale.  Saying that your #3 mango choice might be better if the tree looks better.

I would also print out some info on your top mango avocado choices...since you are making a long drive to get them.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 11:34:20 AM by zands »

Brebarian

• USA, CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2018, 11:40:31 AM »
I have some fresh Mahachanok scions sitting in the fridge.  Can someone give me a taste profile?   Have a friend who says they taste like a carrot.

Mark, the Mahachanok is a fantastic mango, going off the ones I got from Alex last summer. Fully ripened it is sweet, not much acid to speak of, with a hint of pine close to the skin. Your friend is correct about the presence of a carrot flavor, although in my opinion, it's more of a subtle undertone of carrot.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2018, 08:14:13 AM »

Mark, the Mahachanok is a fantastic mango, going off the ones I got from Alex last summer. Fully ripened it is sweet, not much acid to speak of, with a hint of pine close to the skin. Your friend is correct about the presence of a carrot flavor, although in my opinion, it's more of a subtle undertone of carrot.

Thanks for the input!  I also got Alphonso sticks with the Maha.  Might graft one of each.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2018, 09:03:36 AM »
From Brevard you may be closer to Greens Nursery in Zellwood

He is a Zill retailer and goes down to buy trees  weekly in season.

If you call him and tell them what you want he will get it and call you back when he has it.  Prices are the best also.

Excalibur is one stop shopping with a huge inventory. Riding around on a golf cart to get your stuff is a blast 
Been down two years in a row and already planning a return this year

Check their list for an idea of their trees and you can’t go wrong with a Fairchild or a cac so why not both

MangoCountry

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2018, 10:17:32 AM »
Check out nelsons family farm in Fort Pierce too. They resell Zill mango trees. I bought a bunch of mine there.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 03:35:19 PM by MangoCountry »

chris1

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2018, 11:23:14 PM »
Thanks everyone for all the advice truly it is helpful.  I plan to wait just long enough to sample a bunch of mangos and go from there.

Thanks for the advice. The sweet tart is starting to pull ahead but I wish I could try one before planting it in the ground
You will not be able to try ripe one until late July or so. It can be very sweet. If this is a negative for you then.....

My Fairchild gets no disease and is easy to prune and keep small though my Pickering is a slower grower
My sweet tart tree is not a crazy grower. Can be kept small. Also Can be kept small--- Pina Colada and Nam Doc Mai

How vulnerable to mango theft is yr front yard? Sweet Tart and Fairchild fruits are medium size and inconspicuous....with no nice red colors.

Driving all the way to Excalibur....I would make a list of your top five choices for mango and avocado and go with the best looking tree they have for sale.  Saying that your #3 mango choice might be better if the tree looks better.

I would also print out some info on your top mango avocado choices...since you are making a long drive to get them.

Thanks for the info on Fairchild. I have heard good things. A super sweet mango is a good thing for me so sweet tart is one I am excited about. Excalibur is a far drive but as I said I work out of Fort Lauderdale 3-4 times a month and I end up driving nearby on my way home so it isn’t that big a deal to stop.

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2018, 10:50:28 AM »

Maha is a very pretty & attractive slim rainbow colored mango.  Shape is somewhat like NDM and the flavor is similar in that it's rather "one note" and uninteresting.  Not a fan of NDM or Maha and think they are both over rated.  I have shared Maha's with friends who weren't impresssed either.  Myself & friends gave Maha only a 7 at best.    I will say that people who love NDM will probably also like Maha's.  Just my experience with them - your mileage may vary.
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2018, 09:55:49 PM »
Sweet tart is looking good for me.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2018, 08:54:32 AM »
I just grafted quite a few Peach Cobbler, Pineapple Pleasure, Sweet Tart and Fruit Punch and mailed the left overs and some Juicy Peach, Pickering and Glenn with 3 seasoned grafters and tropical fruit growers here in Texas.  28 sticks in all.  I top worked a Lemon Zest to Fruit Punch leaving enough of the tree below the graft to get some Lemon Zest fruit, which I love.

Folks of Indian descent seem to really like the NDM, Maha, and Alphonso here in Texas.   One guy grows and fruits the hellout of a 15' cocktail tree near Houston.  It's a Maha tree with Coconut Cream and Lemon Zest on it.  Can you imagine putting up a 15' tall PVC newtwork and covering it every winter with plastic!  :o  He does, inserts an electric heater in the tent.  Trees are in ground, black clay.   Come spring that tree is solid blooms.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 08:56:22 AM by Mark in Texas »

Mugenia

• People's Socialist Republic of California USDA Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2018, 10:07:49 AM »
For mango dummies like me, what are your top 5 mangoes? I have Valencia Pride now, but want to add NDM, Mahachanok, lemon meringue, chac-anon, carabao, and pickering to my yard. How are those mangoes? Thanks.

Bananimal

• Dan the Bananaman
    • Port St Lucie, Fl zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2018, 10:22:47 AM »
Hi Chris1

I have a Po Pyu Kalay planted in a Jackpot you can have.  About 4 ft tall -- cheap -- $15.00.   Nice part is you can drive down and pick it up.  I'm In Port St Lucie to your south.   Check out the bananas also.

Dan

Dan
Dan

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2018, 10:31:36 PM »
EARLY:  Edward, Glenn, PPK
MID: Carrie, Sweet Tart, Coconut Cream
LATE: Keitt, Beverly, Kent, Cotton Candy?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 12:05:27 PM by nighthawk0911@yahoo.com »
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2018, 01:50:02 AM »

Maha is a very pretty & attractive slim rainbow colored mango.  Shape is somewhat like NDM and the flavor is similar in that it's rather "one note" and uninteresting.  Not a fan of NDM or Maha and think they are both over rated.  I have shared Maha's with friends who weren't impresssed either.  Myself & friends gave Maha only a 7 at best.    I will say that people who love NDM will probably also like Maha's.  Just my experience with them - your mileage may vary.

I can understand NDM considered "one note"  yes its sweet, and has the honey/floral flavor,  and that's about it.  not a bad mango,  but not complex.

Mahachanok is all the opposite,  the flavor for me is very complex, I have never tasted anything just like it.   not super high in brix department compared to NDM and some other varieties,  but it's pure joy to consume.   taste is subjective of course,  but I would not consider MC overrated when it still makes top ten lists in some of the taste tests and among some of the mango snobs. :)

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2018, 07:52:35 AM »
I can understand NDM considered "one note"  yes its sweet, and has the honey/floral flavor,  and that's about it.  not a bad mango,  but not complex.

Mahachanok is all the opposite,  the flavor for me is very complex, I have never tasted anything just like it.   not super high in brix department compared to NDM and some other varieties,  but it's pure joy to consume.   taste is subjective of course,  but I would not consider MC overrated when it still makes top ten lists in some of the taste tests and among some of the mango snobs. :)

Keep hearing that about Maha and the bonus that comes with it is the super thin seed.  I probably should have done the Maha. Did Zill grafts instead. 

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2018, 08:30:17 AM »

Keep hearing that about Maha and the bonus that comes with it is the super thin seed.  I probably should have done the Maha. Did Zill grafts instead.

After reading some posts about NDM and Maha I concluded that the problem is to pick them up too late, when other varieties are excellent but these two (which are related to each other) already are beyond their best point. As Jeff and other members explained a few times, the trick to keep their flavor complexity is to pick up and eat them in the right moment. In these posts you'll find the details for both:

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=28501.msg323417#msg323417

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=27070.msg313235#msg313235

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=26701.msg309331#msg309331

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=16224.msg206230#msg206230

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=26701.msg309308#msg309308