Author Topic: Köppen climate classification  (Read 689 times)

shafak

• India, Chennai 13°N 80°E Köppen: Aw Elevation 6 m (20 ft)
    • View Profile
Köppen climate classification
« on: May 24, 2018, 08:13:20 AM »
Chennai is classified as AW in the Köppen climate classification list. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%B6ppen_climate_classification

Can I safely say that what fruits grows in other AW regions can be grown here?  Or will soil conditions etc play a major role too?  Thank you.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Köppen climate classification
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 08:45:21 AM »
Soil and additional watering are super important. In your climate fertile basalt or alluvial soil would sure help trees out of their ideal zones a lot.
 Aw is just tropical savannah climate like Bangkok, Darwin or even Naples in Florida and it can occur on the Equator or 25 latitude. It is fairly dry with very little winter rain and not much different from Am. The lines between zone are a bit artificial and the arbitrary yearly average of 18c or higher for tropical is way lower than where you are. Anything really from an A or tropical climate even Am with watering should do ok and even some Cfa's and Cwa's  as long as plants are from the warmest parts of these zones.
If that is all too confusing just look at your latitude to the equator and say 8 degrees poleward and if the plants are naturally in these zones, they are worth a shot. Altitude,continentality,chill requirements and other stuff need to be thought about as well.

So the answer is kinda yeah within reason.

shafak

• India, Chennai 13°N 80°E Köppen: Aw Elevation 6 m (20 ft)
    • View Profile
Re: Köppen climate classification
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 11:59:32 AM »
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation, Mike.  That pretty much sums up all the doubt I would have had. 

Just one doubt.  The place I live in is almost at sea level.  Altitude 12m/39ft.  I would love to try my hand with jaboticaba in container.  One member in here from the neighboring state with Am has successfully got them fruiting.  Since jaboticaba needs lot of water, I am sceptical about the success in growing them here.  Should I go ahead and try growing them?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk