Author Topic: Dwarf jackfruit?  (Read 7015 times)

shafak

• India, Chennai 13°N 80°E Köppen: Aw Elevation 6 m (20 ft)
    • View Profile
Dwarf jackfruit?
« on: June 01, 2018, 03:21:38 PM »
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07DB3WYX2/

The seller has listed this jackfruit as a dwarf variety.  I asked them 2 questions.  Whether these are seed grown or grafted and up to what height they would grow if not pruned.  They replied back -

All of these are grafted or air layered. Plant size depends on the container. If you plant in soil, it may grow upto 10ft. :)

Since the normal variety of this fruit grows anywhere from 25 to 80 feet, according to their "claim", it should definitely be a dwarf.  But, I'm sceptical.  Is there really a dwarf variety of Artocarpus Heterophyllus? 

kangtt

• HONOLULU
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf jackfruit?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 12:08:36 AM »
I have a cultivar "Singapore" that I bought in 2006 and the tree
is only 8 feet tall now.  But it bears only one fruit a year.

shafak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 05:22:37 AM »
Do all dwarf bear only one fruit a year or is it only yours?

kangtt

• HONOLULU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 12:10:48 PM »
This is the only dwarf Jack fruit tree I have...so I don't know.
This year,  for the first time, it did produce a second female flower
at the base but it soon broke off.   

shafak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 02:58:10 AM »
How much taller do you expect your tree to grow?  Also, could you please mention the thickness of the trunk?  Thank you.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 12:35:12 PM »
Do all dwarf bear only one fruit a year or is it only yours?
The one you linked to on Amazon shows tons of fruit on the plant.
It appears to be planted in the ground and the caption says 7 years old.
The tree is small but it looks over 10 feet tall to me.

shafak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 04:06:00 PM »
The one you linked to on Amazon shows tons of fruit on the plant.
It appears to be planted in the ground and the caption says 7 years old.
The tree is small but it looks over 10 feet tall to me.

Orkine, Earlier I did not bother looking after the 1st picture as I'm sure all of these sellers post stock photos and not photos of the actual tree.  Only after you mentioned "7 years old" did I start searching frantically for those words.  That final picture is a click-bait.  I did a quick reverse image search and according to an Indonesian site, that tree is called "Nangkadak" a cross between Nangka (jackfruit in Indonesian) and Cempedak.  Usually I never buy any plants online.  I just used that link for reference purpose.  My main query is whether there is actually any dwarf tree of jackfruit.  And if there really is, what is the maximum height and width of the trunk it will grow. 

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 05:11:46 PM »
Interesting.

Good detective work.

kangtt

• HONOLULU
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 05:28:04 PM »
Guardian123abc,

The trunk is 2.5 inches or almost 7cm thick.  I don't think it is going to
get any taller.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 06:28:41 PM »
I have a cultivar "Singapore" that I bought in 2006 and the tree
is only 8 feet tall now.  But it bears only one fruit a year.

I don't think this tree chosen to be so by natural desire. Looks like it's growing in urban/suburban environment.  Roots were likely hitting some sort of natural or human made obstacle from early going. Another possibility it was replanted and repoted numerous times before sold to you. That is possibly causing stunned size. I have breadfruit that that has gone through similar experience and it's stuck in time wrap. 2 feet tall, in ground 2 years now. Not growing nor dying.

"Dwarf" jackfruit pictures in amazon link are not even worth comment. Outrageous lie. But briefly young jackfruit would not be suicidal neither would have energy to push fruit 3 times it's mass with roots combined.   And "7 year old" tree would take minimum 25 years to achieve that mass,  and I'm being very generous.

shafak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 07:16:17 PM »
DL, the main purpose of me looking for a dwarf variety is to grow in the concrete jungle of Chennai.  Within my house, near the compound wall.  What do you suggest?  Go for a dwarf variety or drop that idea altogether.  One of the main reason for my opting for a jackfruit is for my stingless bees to collect resin.  Not that there are no other jackfruit trees around, just that I don't want them to fly afar to gather it.

sobars_machado

• India, Maharashtra, Mumbai, Vasai (Konkan region - Tropical)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 06:17:27 PM »
Those photos used in the advertisement are from indonesian websites which i have seen before. And yes that 7 years old vietnamese jackfruit loaded with fruits is a tree not less than 50 years. When you buy plants online from any indian seller these days, there is no guarantee what you will get, especially the ones from kerala. What they do is, buy seeds online, plant them and before those plants even start to flower, they do air layers or grafting and sell those plants as layered or grafted plants. Obviously the price of grafted plant is much higher than a seedling, so this is how they make more money. I started buying fruit plants from there but then i started to cross question them about variety name or origin and some other technical details and finally got 1 person to admit the truth - that was about kepel layered plant. A seedling was for 1000 rs and a layered for 10000 to 15000 depending on size, but the layered was in facr layered from a non fruiting tree. One friend from kerala with whom i am exchanging seeds told me not to waste my money buying any plants from kerala as they are not truly grafted varieties.

shafak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 07:39:58 PM »
Initially, I had shortlisted a few sellers on Amazon and eBay so that I can purchase online.  Then, I realized all of them were using stock photos and not pictures of the actual plant.  That's when I started this thread asking whether there actually was a dwarf variety.  I have decided to not purchase online fearing I'd have to go through exactly what you had to go through.  So far, i've never purchased any live plants online.  Another thing that struck an alarm bell is one seller from Kerala in a FB group was selling jaboticaba as air-layered.  When asked how long it will take to fruit, she replied 6-7 years.  When someone asked why it will take so long for an air-layered plant to fruit, she did not reply.  Also, she did not reply to many other similar related questions.  Mr. Sreekumar Menon (a senior and experienced member in this forum) also from Kerala is a member in that group too.  Someone else asked him to comment, but he wrote that he rather not comment in that particular seller's thread.  I read somewhere that it could take up to a year to air-layer jaboticaba.  And this seller was selling the plants very cheap.  So, I assumed that the seller was giving false statement about the plant being air-layered.

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 08:45:13 PM »
Here's a photo of my Nangka Mini Jackfruit tree that I planted  in 09/15 from seeds
purchased from Maryoto. It stands 5 1/2' tall and if memory serves me, Maryoto said
it takes about 4-5 years to fruit.

Michael

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 09:45:08 PM »
Yes, there are dwarf Jakfruits.

Unlike Human midgets, dwarfs, normals, and giants, who stop growing within very specific narrow ranges, PLANTS USUALLY DON'T STOP GROWING AT A SPECIFIC SIZE, until they start to die back.

Dwarf plants have a SLOWER GROWTH RATE, usually with short, compact growth flushes, and with few growth flushes per year (often only one).

The famous dwarf mango, 'Julie', takes 50-80 years to get two stories tall.

The infamously too vigorous 'Valencia Pride', can get two stories tall in about 4 years.

I have a jakfruit that took about 20 years to get 18 feet tall, pruning only dead or sick branches--- I finally cut it back last year, before Hurricane Irma.  I get about 8 small, edible Jaks per year.  I don't consider it to be good quality.

So when asking about a dwarf, one should ask, "How big does this variety tend to get in ___ years, without pruning." 

Or, for varieties claimed as compact, or "condo", etc., "Does this variety respond well to heavy annual pruning to keep it small, and still fruit well?"
Har

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2018, 11:51:12 PM »
DL, the main purpose of me looking for a dwarf variety is to grow in the concrete jungle of Chennai.  Within my house, near the compound wall.  What do you suggest?  Go for a dwarf variety or drop that idea altogether.  One of the main reason for my opting for a jackfruit is for my stingless bees to collect resin.  Not that there are no other jackfruit trees around, just that I don't want them to fly afar to gather it.

Here is jackfruit is real urban concrete jungle of Philippines Even base trunk completely covered in cement. No way to water this tree. I'm really puzzled how this tree is surviving and thriving in such unfriendly environment, but circumstances did not make it dwarf. Maybe it is "drinking" and fertilized from a sewage pipe:)) I saw other similar size jackfruits on the same street, under same circumstances.

Perhaps you should consider perpetually flowering plant and a flowering vine to go around the wall for your bees?

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2018, 04:52:22 AM »
Here's a photo of my Nangka Mini Jackfruit tree that I planted  in 09/15 from seeds
purchased from Maryoto. It stands 5 1/2' tall and if memory serves me, Maryoto said
it takes about 4-5 years to fruit.

I just found the original topic and it was reported to fruit at 1.5-2 years, yours is almost 3 years old.
Do you think it's just the climate or it's a regular dwarf jackfruit, not precocious?