Author Topic: Fig not really fruiting?  (Read 1542 times)

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Fig not really fruiting?
« on: June 13, 2018, 11:45:58 AM »
I bought and planted a 2-gallon Celeste (supposedly) fig last April. It grew fine, but it dropped the fruits that it formed when they were about marble-sized.
We had a pretty brutal winter and very cold April. I did cover the tree totally in leaves to try to protect it, but there was still some bark cracking due to the cold.

It has put on some new growth from last year's shoots, but mostly it has sent up several new shoots from the base. They're about 3-feet tall now. Tree looks very healthy.

however, there are no fruits forming on the new shoots from the base, and only a few from the new growth originating from last year's wood.

Is this typical?

Maybe the new basal shoots just need a few more weeks to form fruits, or....?

Help from y'all who are experienced would be greatly appreciated.

Jct

• Zone 10b
    • San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Fig not really fruiting?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 11:47:03 AM »
Many common figs produce two crops, the breba (or early crop) and the main crop. Brebas are produced on older wood while main crop figs are produced by new growth.  There are quite a few people whose figs die back each winter, but manage to produce a main crop.  I'm not sure if Celeste is one of the varieties that can do this up North.  Chicago Hardy is a variety that can often do this.

I'm in SoCal and my figs are just popping out main crop figs. You can check out the OurFigs forum for better information, it's filled with true experts, many who live in your neck of the woods.

Best of luck.
LaVerne Manila Mango; Pixie Crunch, Honeycrisp & Gala Apple Trees; Violette De Bordeaux & Black Mission Fig; Santa Rosa Plum & Snow Queen Nectarine; Nagami Kumquat, Pixie Tangerine, Lemon, Australian Finger Lime & Washington Navel Citrus; White & Red Dragon Fruit; Miracle Berry Plant

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Fig not really fruiting?
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 12:57:00 PM »
Many common figs produce two crops, the breba (or early crop) and the main crop. Brebas are produced on older wood while main crop figs are produced by new growth.  There are quite a few people whose figs die back each winter, but manage to produce a main crop.  I'm not sure if Celeste is one of the varieties that can do this up North.  Chicago Hardy is a variety that can often do this.

I'm in SoCal and my figs are just popping out main crop figs. You can check out the OurFigs forum for better information, it's filled with true experts, many who live in your neck of the woods.

Best of luck.

Thanks! I have joined OurFigs and posted the question there. Got some good responses.