Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Rabbit or Squirrel or Skunk

(1/6) > >>

Lionking:
Came home today from a family getaway to find 3 mango seedlings that had just started to grow half eaten.   A couple of other mango seedlings that are a little bigger had the leaves eaten.
Also a couple of grafts that I did had been gnawed on.
So I’m curious as to what animal did this? 
I know that there is a rabbit that has been hanging around eating the green grass, as well as a ground squirrel that has been running around during the day.
At night I have seen a skunk searching for food.
I’d like to get rid of the one that’s doing the damage but not sure which one it is.
Has anyone had this happen and know who the culprit is?  Which one of these 3 animals eats mango leaves and would try to eat a scion?

spaugh:
Rabbit or mice/rats.

If you really want to be sure you can get a trail cam and take some video.  Thats what we do here if we need to figure who is doing what.

Lionking:

--- Quote from: spaugh on June 17, 2018, 09:47:46 PM ---Rabbit or mice/rats.

If you really want to be sure you can get a trail cam and take some video.  Thats what we do here if we need to figure who is doing what.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Spaugh,

I first suspect the ground squirrel.  I know they eat the fruit but wasn’t sure if they would eat mango leaves and young growth.
I can see the rabbit eating lthe leaves but don’t think they can reach up to nibble on grafts that are about 2ft high without breaking or moving the graft. 
Never thought about mice or rats but now I will be keeping an eye out. 
The trail cam is a great idea.  I now remember you used one when you posted the video of the coyote climbing the trees.
Thanks for the help.

wslau:
If they were young leaves...maybe grasshoppers.  They don't attack the stems though...that I know of.

spaugh:
Rabbits like to eat leaves and also chew bark.  They have pretty cheap trail cams available on amazon.  Bushnell makes good ones.  Theres lots of brands out there though.  You want to get a tripod for it also if you get one. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version