Author Topic: Avacado - Selection - Flowering - Harvest - Queensland Australia  (Read 1933 times)

Rinnie

• Dayboro Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
Hi there,  I am in Dayboro Queensland, Australia.  Some Winters we get a night or two light touches of frost. We have clay soil - yet we have built a retained area for good drainage for our fruiting trees.   I've been researching Avadaco trees.  I would like to plant 4 or 5 trees in our orchid.  I totally understand the Type A & B, yet I am finding it hard to work out which 4 I will need to enable good cross-pollination.  My aim is to spread out the harvest period so we have avocados on at least one tree as much of the year as possible. 

Question 1) Even know the avocadoes fruit at different times of the year do they all flower at the same time?  (this will help me know which trees to select). 
Question 2) I've researched 5 Australian sites which all have conflicting information on months trees harvest (so this is making it hard to work out which trees to select).   
Would anyone be able to provide me with some knowledge, please and Thank you. 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 06:20:10 PM by Rinnie »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Avacado - Selection - Flowering - Harvest - Queensland Australia
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 06:51:03 PM »
Yes they flower at the same time for 4 to 5 months during winter and spring. 

Do you have a list of cultivars you would like to narrow down?

I wouldnt sweat the A and B thing too much.  You should be fine if you have 5 trees.
Brad Spaugh

Rinnie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 07:12:01 PM »
Thank you.
Trees I am thinking
Shepard Type B fruits Feb to March
Fuerte Type B fruits April to July
Secondo Type A fruits July to Dec
Choosing between the Hass or Lamb Hass
Hass Type A fruit Aug to Dec
Lamb Hass Type A Fruit Oct to Jan

Issue is I've found 4 sites with conflicting fruiting periods, so really makes it hard to know what trees to buy.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 08:51:16 PM »
I have hass, fuerte, and lamb.  Fuerte is late winter to late spring fruit.  Hass is spring and early summer.  Lamb is mid to late summer. 

Those three give you good coverage but will leave you without avocados in fall and early winter.  At least thats how it is here.  Im at 33 degrees north.  You might get longer seasons if you are more than 33 south.

Fuerte and hass will both hang for a long time on the tree, thats maybe why the conflicting info.  They can both be picked in winter but will improve if you wait until spring and early summer.  Lamb hass is a hass season extender into late summer. 

If you can find a full mexican like stewart or mexicola you can get same year fall fruit.  And if you can get a full guatemalan like reed or holiday you can also get fall fruit from previous year fruits. 

Hope that helps. 

« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 08:56:45 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Rinnie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 11:12:50 PM »
Thank you so very much for this information, I will go on the hunt for a stewart or mexicola and will research guatemalan (reed or holiday) more.

Your knowledge has been greatly received.

Have a great day.   

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 11:25:07 PM »
You are welcome.  I am not familiar with the others you posted by the way.  I googled shepard and it looks like a fall avocado.  And if its an Oz developed cultivar it may be the way to go for fall fruit. 
Brad Spaugh

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 12:01:33 AM »
The conflict on seasons is because Australia spans a very long North-south distance and avocados are grown almost tip to tip. Hass from the Atherton tablelands Queensland at 18S will ripen at a much different time from Hass in Pemberton WA at 35S. Our local Shepards are very eary, first of the season, B type. I've heard conflicting opinions on whether Secondo matches up to commercial varieties. You'd think commercial growers would have it if it were.
Here is the QLD government info kit if you haven't read it yet
http://era.daf.qld.gov.au/id/eprint/1642/
The varieties document is in chronological order of ripening, but dates will depend on your climate. (http://era.daf.qld.gov.au/id/eprint/1642/12/07-avo-variety.pdf)

Best of luck.
Mango Mike from QLD has alot of contact with commercial growers nearer to you and would might read this thread and chime in.

Rob

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 12:18:03 AM »
Rinnie I’m not far from you and can confirm Reed is a good choice for autumn fruit here. Not 100% sure on others but Rob gave you lots of good info above.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 12:19:34 AM by Ulfr »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 04:01:11 AM »
Dates of ripening do depend on your district and the variety but you will find most will flower with sufficient overlap for pollination. Nearly all those available in Queensland are pure Guatemalan and there are quite a few. Considering your location I would suggest Reed and Hass for your A's and for your B's shepard and sharwil. If you are overcome by the need to try less well known or others with good reviews Pinkerton, Edronol, Hazzard and Wurtz are respectable.
If you are only planting 2 Shepard and Reed would be at the top of my list.

Canvo

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 05:55:55 AM »
Not wishing to throw too much confusion into the mix but for me in the very north of nsw my Secondo producers the very best avos I have tasted. They are a fairly large fruit and ripen here from now till September, my other avo is a Lamb and they are both prolific

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 08:37:48 AM »
Here's a great variety guide from your very own land under.  http://era.daf.qld.gov.au/id/eprint/1642/12/07-avo-variety.pdf

The A B thing is over-rated.  Here in Texas we get hours of male to female overlaps on a cluster of flowers.

I'd go with Pinkerton too.  I had Hazzard and Rincon sticks but the grafts didn't take.  They both thrive in heat.

4 males to one female flower on a Reed flower group.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 08:41:29 AM by Mark in Texas »

Rinnie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 06:00:42 PM »
Being my first time posting, I am glad I did you have all given me so such information.  looks Like I have a lot to learn, I must admit I am learning, My hubby and I bought our property for the long haul and we said we will never plant a tree until we have researched it, I am having fun and learning heaps.  I will post when we make a selection.

Question
We are not a fan of buying everlasting trees from Bunnings.
We do use a local supplier for all our natives.  The place he recommended closed it's doors a few months ago, does anyone have any recommendations, I prefer to go local as I hear they perform better as they have developed from this same weather conditions?  Is that a factor to consider v's the online companies?

Thanks

mike rule

• karrabin qld australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 06:28:37 PM »
Rinnie...... Try not to buy from Bunnings with you living at Dayboro take a trip to Mapleton area .... Avocardos are grown in the area & on the main road a farm vendor has not only fruit for sale but grafted avocardo trees...... Last time I was there they had the varieties mentioned at a cost well under Bunnings & these trees will be used to being outside........ The main thing with avocardos is to have them in a raised mulch bed there roots are not deep & whilst they like water they don't like sitting in it..... Also for the first few years a cover would be recommended to stop sun burn...... Mango Mike

Rinnie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 07:56:32 PM »
 Mike,   
Thank you.
A trip to the Hinterland sounds like a great idea, we have built a retained area just for them with perfect (I hope) drainage. 
The cover idea thank you.

Corinne