Author Topic: Only have room left for 3 Zill "Flavor Bombs"...Leaning Sweet Tart, C.Candy, M4  (Read 7100 times)

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
It sucks to be limited on space, but with the 20+ fruit trees I already have I only have room enough room left for 3 of the newer Zill "flavor bomb" varieties.

The tentative selections are:

1. Sweet Tart
2. Cotton Candy
3. Sugarloaf

Alternative suggestions & recommendations welcome. Thanks. : )
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 01:20:45 AM by nighthawk0911@yahoo.com »
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Maybe not Fruit Punch.  Hasn't it gotten mixed reviews?
John

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
I haven't had enough of the newer stuff (cotton candy, m4, e4, etc) to have an actual opinion.
But pineapple pleasure and Pina colada should be included in that list.

Gambit

• USA, Florida, St. Pete, 10a
    • View Profile
Managed to try a few (5) E-4 this season and some Sweet Tarts. E-4 was just fantastic and edged out Sweet Tart as the most flavorful mango so far. Really doubt any other variety will even come close. It's right up there as one of my top 5. Fruit Punch was good, but does not stand out... it never really did for me, despite multiple tastings over several seasons. Looking forward to M-4, if reports of its flavor are anything like E-4. I would not include FP in your plantings.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 03:00:58 PM by Gambit »

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
I enjoyed Buttercream WAY more than M4. (Though I’m only going off of one tasting evaluation). Agree with SweetTart. & Fruit Punch is good... but I’ve found some more of the newer varieties that I enjoyed most this year like ButterCream, Him Sagar, & Guava.
Sergio

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile

Purely in terms of taste: Cotton Candy, Guava and M-4.  ST is the most productive, from what I have seen.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
I enjoyed Buttercream WAY more than M4. (Though I’m only going off of one tasting evaluation). Agree with SweetTart. & Fruit Punch is good... but I’ve found some more of the newer varieties that I enjoyed most this year like ButterCream, Him Sagar, & Guava.

What made u said that u rnjoyed buttercream more than m4?

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile

What made u said that u rnjoyed buttercream more than m4?

Title of this post said “Flavor Bombs” & to me ButterCream fit that more than the M4.
Sergio

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Piña Colada and Pineapple Pleasure are definitely flavor bombs that I highly recommend.

Simon

John Travis

• Winter Park FL 9b
    • View Profile
I don't think you can go wrong with fruit punch. I really enjoy it, and it seems like the season might be a bit longer, just gauging by times i've seen fruit available. I've also heard great things about guava. I visited Walter Zill and he took me for a long walk through his grove and reported that it seemed to have less issues with disease. That's more of an issue for me in central fl where we get hot and humid and don't always have the sea breeze to keep things moving. Guessing you already have Orange Sherbet, and the other obvious choices.

I grafted M4 onto a tree that froze back to the ground this winter, and hope the larger root system will get into production sooner.
John

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
I'm sure PC must be good as people say good things about them, but the only couple of PC weren't anything special.  Couldn't detect any Pina or Collada.  Quality was roughly that of a small Pickering as a I recall.  I have heard the yield for PP is poor. 

Piña Colada and Pineapple Pleasure are definitely flavor bombs that I highly recommend.

Simon
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
OS didn't live up to it's hype for me.  Soft nose, uneven ripening & PPK beats it on flavor/texture/disease resistance/early season also.  Leaning PPK - but haven't tried LC or Peach Cobbler.  It sucks having to start rationing out your tree planting spots.

I don't think you can go wrong with fruit punch. I really enjoy it, and it seems like the season might be a bit longer, just gauging by times i've seen fruit available. I've also heard great things about guava. I visited Walter Zill and he took me for a long walk through his grove and reported that it seemed to have less issues with disease. That's more of an issue for me in central fl where we get hot and humid and don't always have the sea breeze to keep things moving. Guessing you already have Orange Sherbet, and the other obvious choices.

I grafted M4 onto a tree that froze back to the ground this winter, and hope the larger root system will get into production sooner.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 04:25:37 PM by nighthawk0911@yahoo.com »

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
BSBullie & Squam both say M4 trumps E4.  Never had E-4, but I expect to taking a face first dive into a few M4 very soon.  : )

Managed to try a few (5) E-4 this season and some Sweet Tarts. E-4 was just fantastic and edged out Sweet Tart as the most flavorful mango so far. Really doubt any other variety will even come close. It's right up there as one of my top 5. Fruit Punch was good, but does not stand out... it never really did for me, despite multiple tastings over several seasons. Looking forward to M-4, if reports of its flavor are anything like E-4. I would not include FP in your plantings.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Both E4 and M4 are winners.  M4 is rekeased, E4 is not (at least, not yet).

Gotta give a huge vote for Pineapple Pleasure.
- Rob

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Fruitscapes in Bokeelia had 3 gallon M4 trees and I just tried M-4.  M-4 has a sweetened coconut water/pineapple juice flavor profile to me in early evaluations. 

Both E4 and M4 are winners.  M4 is rekeased, E4 is not (at least, not yet).

Gotta give a huge vote for Pineapple Pleasure.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 04:22:04 PM by nighthawk0911@yahoo.com »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Did you get to taste Cotton Candy?   I haven't and could kick myself for not getting over to Zill's when they had some.
John

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
E-4, lemon zest, guava, coconut cream, and fruit cocktail have been the best so far imo

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
Fruit cocktail replaced by Phoenix

Sweet tart ripening and most likely will take a spot then