Author Topic: Looking for a breadfruit tree  (Read 8869 times)

Carlincool

• Cape Coral, Fl 10b
    • View Profile
Looking for a breadfruit tree
« on: December 02, 2012, 09:47:10 AM »
Hi,
I am looking to find a breadfruit tree. (Not breadnut) Does anyone know where I might be able to find one.
I am in Cape Coral, Fl. (SW Fl.)
Thanks!
Kevin

mod edit: removed your email from the post.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 09:54:28 AM by murahilin »

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a breadfruit tree
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 09:55:30 AM »
Many nurseries in S FL sell breadfruit trees. Excalibur in Lake Worth and Pine Island in Homestead are two sources for the trees of the top of my head. If you googled, I am sure you could find some other places with them as well.

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 10:05:03 AM »
I know for a fact that pine island nursery in Miami has what they call Ma'afala breadfruit trees in stock.Mike

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 10:20:59 AM »
I know for a fact that pine island nursery in Miami has what they call Ma'afala breadfruit trees in stock.Mike

The Ma'afala's are grown from tissue culture. They are TCed by a company who works with the Breadfruit Institute in Hawaii and part of the money paid for the TCs go back to the Breadfruit Institute. At least that is how it was done a few years ago. I wonder if that is still the case.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 10:25:30 AM »
Here is a link to where you can buy wholesale Ma'afala tissue cultured breadfruit trees as I mentioned in the post above:
http://www.globalbreadfruit.com/index.html

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 10:28:26 AM »
I was at Pine Island a few weeks ago and if I remember correctly, what they said they were selling were not from tissue culture.

I would have to check on current availability but Excalibur did have some small breadfruit that were grafted (I  am assuming the rootstock would be jackfruit but would have to verify).  PM me if interested.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 10:31:16 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 11:48:53 AM »
I was at Pine Island a few weeks ago and if I remember correctly, what they said they were selling were not from tissue culture.

I would have to check on current availability but Excalibur did have some small breadfruit that were grafted (I  am assuming the rootstock would be jackfruit but would have to verify).  PM me if interested.

It would not be grafted onto jackfruit but either seeded breadfruit (A. altilis) or breadnut (A. camansi).

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 02:21:54 PM »

It would not be grafted onto jackfruit but either seeded breadfruit (A. altilis) or breadnut (A. camansi).
Julia Morton says it can be grafted onto jackfruit.
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 03:13:13 PM »

Julia Morton says it can be grafted onto jackfruit.

Yes, Morton says that it was reported that it was done in India but that does not change the fact that its not done that way at Excalibur or any other nursery I've seen in FL.

Carlincool

• Cape Coral, Fl 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 07:09:49 AM »
I emailed Excalibur about seedless breadfruit and they have them in all sizes. They said i would have a hard time keeping it alive, let alone getting it to friut. I am going over to see them and pick up a few other trees on my list. Does anyone have any experience with them in the ground in Florida?  I own a small a/c company here and I feel I can provide it with good cold protection. It will be sheltered in a section of my yard that gets little wind. I will put a digital t-stat at mid level with a heater. I also understand they need high humidity. I wonder if a few humidifier would be enough to do it.  Any other ideas?
Thanks!
Kevin

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 09:36:39 AM »
Very difficult to grow breadfruit in S FL. The cold will kill it back every winter and probably kill the entire tree as well. With enough protection it is possible to keep it alive. A few people have gotten them to fruit on the coastal islands of FL and in Miami. A few people who protected them were able to get them to fruit in other parts of S FL as well.

I would not recommend buying the tree in the middle of winter though. Wait until spring so the tree will have an entire year to grow and establish in your soil before a winter. It will likely have a better chance of survival that way.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk