Author Topic: What's the best way to pack citrus for air travel?  (Read 1782 times)

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
What's the best way to pack citrus for air travel?
« on: January 03, 2013, 03:05:53 AM »
My sister wants to take a dwarf citrus overseas. Country of destination has no restrictions on any plant/fruit going there.  Is it best to bare root and wrap in wet paper towels, or better to leave the roots with some soil enclosed in a plastic bag? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks,

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
Re: What's the best way to pack citrus for air travel?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 03:25:21 AM »
The tree will do better in soil, but I can't believe any country would allow you to import soil.  Leave the leaves exposed to light for as long as  possible prior to packing for the flight and uncover as soon as possible after the flight.  Probably you will end up packing the roots in a moist but friable medium like half rotten sawdust.  Make sure that medium doesn't spill away leaving a root exposed to air.  Citrus are tough and this should be no problem to pull off.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 08:34:34 PM »
Here they sell some gel to grow the plants in, it should absorb 20 times it's weight with water. Maybe something like that works for sending overseas. I have never bought it though.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 09:03:47 PM »
I never done citrus, but with other trees, I just bare root them , wrap the roots in moist paper towels, and then I use plastic wrap for the whole plant.

I put the whole tree inside one of those cardboard tubes used for shipping maps, paintings and blueprints.  this protects the plant from physical damage.

If the tree is too long, I cut it back a bit so it fits in the tube, also I cut the tube to as long as I can have it, and it still fits in the suitcase,  but maybe you can carry it on, in that case leave it as long as you can so you do not need to cut back the plant.

I never have left it more than 24 hours like that, I pack it just before flight, and take it out as soon as I can when I arrive.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk