Author Topic: Sarawak fruits end: Kuching  (Read 4469 times)

Gouralata

• fruit trees for warm and wet tropical climate
    • View Profile
Sarawak fruits end: Kuching
« on: January 05, 2013, 04:43:19 AM »
Three markets interesting in and around Kuching : Satok (Saturday evening and Sunday morning), Batu Kava (Thursday evening but I forgot my camera) and Ten Miles every day.

Mangifera pajang Mawang   Amazing fruit !

Two kinds of champedak Artocarpus integer. The left one is call durian-champedak and has a orange flesh.

Sonneratia caseolaris  SONNERATIACEAE Buah pedada Swamp tree

Duku on tree Lansium domesticum near Telang Usan hotel

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
Re: Sarawak fruits end: Kuching
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 04:45:16 AM »
Bambangan (M. pajang) only comes in yellow in Tenom.  Very interesting to see it in orange!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 09:48:40 AM »
Great reports gouralata. Sorry to see them end.  :'( I wish Red durian would do similar job for markets in Sabah.  ;D
How would you rate the different markets you went to? Which are the best and which the worst for fruit selection?
Oscar

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 11:19:40 AM »
Very nice job Gouralata, thank you for all the photos and ID's.

Gouralata

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 11:46:09 AM »
1/ Sibu: I don't like that town but its daily market is top top top ! All the farmers from the lowlands of the Batang Rajang basin converge to that market...And the river is travel tentation !
2/ Miri: Sunday market interesting for Durian and many differents fruits from Kuching area, the only place I found Durio dulcis the 08/01/2006
3/ Serian: famous for its jungle daily market, the only time I've been disappointed about it when there were quite nobody after christmas.
4/ Kapit: small town small daily market but nice products the only place I found Durio oxleyanus, a quiet place
5/ Batu kava (near Kuching thursday evening) that market is more and more interesting every year
6/ Satok (Kuching saturday evening and sunday morning) a large and diversified market
some more Ten Miles (Kuching) Daily market in Bintulu, Bau ,etc... Never went to Sri Aman (they have bigs Kubals there)...

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 01:36:05 PM »
How far is Ten Mile market from Kuching City center? Do you remember street names of Batu Kawa market? I just remember this suburb is near airport.

Gouralata

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 02:41:29 PM »
I don't know the street name, I just ask Taxi !

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 03:55:42 PM »
Great pix again gouralata.Sonneratia caeseolaris and alba are common here and considered mangroves.They are huge trees and have big red and white pom pom flowers and I have never heard of them being edible.

The chempa on the right looks like the one I call twisted and I wonder if there are other similarities.

Does the duku have a variety name?

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 06:09:07 PM »
Great reports gouralata. Sorry to see them end.  :'( I wish Red durian would do similar job for markets in Sabah.  ;D
How would you rate the different markets you went to? Which are the best and which the worst for fruit selection?

I work 5 days/week in one corner of Sabah, but on my next vacation I may travel Sarawak.  I only really know the Tenom market well.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 03:26:32 AM »
Thanks Gouralata for the market ratings and observations. I'm taking notes. Hope i can make it out there next year. Always wanted to go there, but not possible so far. Sooo many great places to visit on this planet!
Oscar

Gouralata

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 04:18:54 AM »
But make sure with the fruit season ! As it's an equatorial place the fruits season can change ! That year I got chance, two and three years ago not really. To be sure I think december it's the fruitfull month and it's better to go several places. I invite every fruits lovers to go there because oilpalm threaten the biodiversity.