Author Topic: Atemoya Hand Pollination  (Read 9227 times)

Seadation

• USA, Miami, Fl, 33176 Zone 10
    • View Profile
Atemoya Hand Pollination
« on: May 22, 2013, 10:51:42 PM »
I have a two year old in ground Geffner Atemoya who flowered for the first time this year. The Geffner is known to produce without hand pollination however after much research and some helpful YouTube videos I decided to try my luck at hand pollination. So far I have been successful and have about 15 marble sized fruits and my tree is still making plenty of flowers with the potential for much more fruit. For those with annonas  that haven't tried hand pollination give it a shot it is super easy and fun to do.

For the experts, how many are actually hand pollinating? Also how many fruits do you all think I should let my tree hold? The tree is about six feet tall.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 10:54:06 PM by Seadation »

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Atemoya Hand Pollination
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 06:43:24 AM »
if you only have one flower can you hand pollinate it with its own pollen? I can't remember whether it's female first or male first.

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 06:56:47 AM »
I hand pollinate all my annonas...I usually collect pollen and store in fridge for up to 1 day...they are female first then male...I noticed to many fruits can break branches and reduce overall fruit size.

ronald123

• ronald123
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 07:29:26 AM »
I would suggest being conservative. I would rather 3 large well shaped fruit for the first bearing than 8 inferior ones.

Also you can have a 6 foot tree that is narrow and spindly or a much wider one that had been properly pruned that can hold a much larger crop the first time out. (hard to tell from photos) hope that helps.
 Ronald

Seadation

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 07:10:00 PM »
Thanks! I will hold back then and possibly thin some out until the tree gets a little older. Also this is a helpful YouTube video that helped me hand pollinate.
Cherimoya Flower Pollination
Thanks,
Ron
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 07:13:00 PM by Seadation »

cwojo

• Boynton Beach, FL 33436 zone 10a/10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 02:18:20 PM »
I must be a retard. I have watched that video and a few others... and I have not had a single fruit set on my Bradley atemoya. The flower will drop it's petals and the bud will turn black/brown and then fall off.

Seadation

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 02:34:19 PM »
Are you using the pollen? Its a microscopic white powder don't confuse it with the anthers that fall in the cup the anthers are larger and more noticeable but you don't want those you want the actual pollen. Also if you don't catch the flower in the female stage it won't work. As soon as it starts to open ill spread it open with my fingers and pollinate it with the brush. Hope this helps.

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 06:10:22 PM »
I have been hand pollinating for over 15 years and my two sugar apples trees produce over 100 fruits almost every year. It is easy and really works. In addition, the fruits are nice and full.
FGM
FloridaGreenMan

Seadation

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 07:47:17 PM »
FGM I would love to get a graft of your big red sugar apple. I know you don't have any for sale but if Jeff is reading and if possible I would buy one from you if you can make it happen.

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 10:24:31 PM »
Gene Joyner says that a special type of beetle pollinates his atemoyas. It is said to be attracted to fermenting fruit, particularly citrus, so he dumps rotting citrus around the base and says it works like a charm.

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 09:35:37 AM »
Katie
The bucket of fruit peels does help, but it takes a while to build up decent populations of nitiludid beetles in your yard. Also, the rotting fruits in the bucket attract lots of yard critters like racoons.  You are better off hand pollinating. Also, hand pollinated fruits grow with more pulp since the flower gets fully pollinated. Beetle pollinated fruits can be misshapen.   
FloridaGreenMan

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 02:39:00 PM »
Good to know- the video was really helpful!

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 01:37:40 PM »
Thanks for the info Ron.   I am planning on trying this out on my sugar apple trees to improve this seasons fruit set.

Seadation

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 12:02:24 PM »
Some fruits of my labor.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 12:33:49 PM »
Wow, nice haul!  I can't wait until my trees get big enough.
Brandon

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 08:49:05 PM »
Nice harvest...:) Congrats...

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 09:41:57 PM »
Some fruits of my labor.

Those are certainly nice fully developed, well formed, Gefner fruits.  I would say, as a pollinator, you are potent.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2015, 08:34:16 PM »
I thought I would add a little more detail for those learning to hand pollinate.  I am no expert myself but I will share what I have learned. 

It is important to water annona trees when they are flowering.  I water every 3 days since flowering is generally during a dry period south Florida.

Use a natural camel or horse hair paint brush to distribute the pollen. I wash the brush each day.

Males produce pollen around 5 PM to 7PM.  Place a small container under the male flower and use a paint brush to remove the pollen and stamens.  The pollen is a very fine white dust and individual grains are barely visible without magnification.  The stamens are relatively larger.  Store the pollen and stamen mixture in a small air tight container overnight. It is good for 24 hours from the time of collection.  A black 35mm film case is the preferred pollen storage container because of the size and the color is a great contrast to the pollen.  With digital cameras and a lack of such containers, I have substituted the film case with a similarly sized purple Play-Doh container I stole from my 9 year old daughter. 

Paint Brush with Pollen

Male Flower

Male Flower with Pollen

Female flowers are mostly receptive between 2 PM and 4 PM, some sooner and some later.  I try to wear a shirt with a pocket to hold the pollen container.  Use a hand to spread the petals of the flower apart to expose the ovaries.  Dip the brush in the pollen container and then brush the ovaries a few times.  If the inserting the brush into a
female flower wets the brush, the female is in the perfect state for pollination.  Break off half of a petal to mark the flower pollinated.

Female Flower

Female Flower spread open

After 3 - 4 days from pollination, a pollinated flower will turn green and start to enlarge.  Fruits may be ready to harvest 4 to 5 months later.

Early Success

Brandon

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2015, 11:25:32 PM »
Brandon, that's an excellent tutorial!
I am pretty sure a number of members would be helped by this.
I didn't have a tutorial this good when I started growing Cherimoya,
so I just winked it, it worked too, but I think your method is better.
Thanks for posting it!
Sam

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2015, 12:52:04 PM »
Here is how I did with my hand pollinating.  My trees are still young and the Lisa is not in the best of health but I am very happy with the number of fruit that are holding.

Geffner

Lisa

Priestly

Page

Geffner in a 15 gal

Brandon

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2015, 01:27:38 PM »
I love the way atemoya trees look.  Well-done, Brandon
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk