Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Black sapote (Diospyros dignya) cultivars

(1/4) > >>

HIfarm:
Just wondering if anyone is aware of a seedless black sapote cultivar?  I have heard that seedless trees exist (in Morton, I think) but have heard of no seedless cultivars.  I got a couple of black sapotes at the Maku'u market in Puna.  Only one has ripened so far but it was absolutely seedless, had nice size fruit, and flavor was not bad (although I tend not to eat them "out of hand" but usually make mousse or smoothies with them).  Is it plausible that this was just a fluke seedless fruit (seems unlikely to me as there were no seeds or even "aborted" seeds)?  It would be worth looking this vendor up to try to get scions but I don't frequent that market and didn't really make note of where I got them.  The same woman had absolute garbage green star apples, the worst I have tasted by far.

John

DurianLover:
Try calling Frankie's Nursery. They have seedless one called "Cuevas Seedless".

BMc:
There are a few. Isolated trees of some varities can be seedless. With cross pollination most of those same varieties have a small central seed cavity.

fruitlovers:

--- Quote from: HIfarm on June 10, 2013, 03:50:50 PM ---Just wondering if anyone is aware of a seedless black sapote cultivar?  I have heard that seedless trees exist (in Morton, I think) but have heard of no seedless cultivars.  I got a couple of black sapotes at the Maku'u market in Puna.  Only one has ripened so far but it was absolutely seedless, had nice size fruit, and flavor was not bad (although I tend not to eat them "out of hand" but usually make mousse or smoothies with them).  Is it plausible that this was just a fluke seedless fruit (seems unlikely to me as there were no seeds or even "aborted" seeds)?  It would be worth looking this vendor up to try to get scions but I don't frequent that market and didn't really make note of where I got them.  The same woman had absolute garbage green star apples, the worst I have tasted by far.

John

--- End quote ---

Those black sapotes were from Kama Aina farm on Papaya Rd. in Kapoho. No not a fluke, they're all like that. Island Naturals in Pahoa also sells their fruit and it's all seedless. If my memory serves me right the tree is a Bernecker or something like that.

Guanabanus:
My tree varies fro zero seeds to half-a-dozen seeds.  I don't know the variety name.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version