Author Topic: Lost Genova Red Ilama  (Read 7334 times)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Lost Genova Red Ilama
« on: July 26, 2013, 09:19:36 PM »
Unhappy to bring news of a victim of today's nasty thunderstorms.  My Genova Red Ilama snapped off at the graft point where it connected to the Pond Apple root stock that was growing from.  The tree was badly damaged in Hurricane Wilma and looks like its a goner.  I will obviously have lots of bud wood for anyone that wants to stop by to pick up some in the next couple of days.  I'll take pictures tomorrow.  I am glad I was able to give out bud wood over the years to those that grafted from my tree.  There were only two fruits produced this year and once was nearing maturity, but I don't think it is quite fully developed. This tree was planted out in approximately 1995 and was grafted by Zill's probably under the supervision of Har.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Genova Red Ilama
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 10:55:30 PM »
That sucks. My grafts that I from the wood from your tree are still green. If any end up pushing I can give you a replacement if you want it. Mine are grafted to cherimoya. I know Excalibur has some grafted ones too. They were not too impressive looking when I was there so I passed on buying one. Pretty sure they were $35.00.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 11:02:03 PM »
Harry, sorry to hear of your loss. some times nature sucks!

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 12:10:43 AM »
Wow Harry that is a sad story and must have been a bit scary to have a lightening strike so close!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 01:52:55 AM »
Oh no!  sorry to hear you lost this one!

I'm thankful you shared some scions with me! 

we gotta get you a replacement tree ASAP!

are you gonna scrap the rootstock?  or eventually try to regraft?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 12:08:06 PM »
Ohhh! I'm really sorry to hear you lost the Ilama.  :(
There must have been some really strong winds.

If you can obtain some cherimoya or pond apple seedlings, you could try grafting some of the budwood, from what you have remaining.

I really do hope you get it growing again. It was a beautiful tree..:)

« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 12:49:55 PM by GreenThumb »

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 01:12:59 PM »
Unhappy to bring news of a victim of today's nasty thunderstorms.  My Genova Red Ilama snapped off at the graft point where it connected to the Pond Apple root stock that was growing from.  The tree was badly damaged in Hurricane Wilma and looks like its a goner.  I will obviously have lots of bud wood for anyone that wants to stop by to pick up some in the next couple of days.  I'll take pictures tomorrow.  I am glad I was able to give out bud wood over the years to those that grafted from my tree.  There were only two fruits produced this year and once was nearing maturity, but I don't think it is quite fully developed. This tree was planted out in approximately 1995 and was grafted by Zill's probably under the supervision of Har.

Sorry about your tree. I have cherimoya rootstock, I could make one for you.

ReneeFLL

• USA, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33312, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 03:45:09 PM »
That really sucks. Hope other trees in the area are ok.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 09:10:23 PM »
Thanks for all the condolences and supportive thoughts. Here's a couple of shots of the aftermath.  It was wind and a weakened graft union that causes the problem...not lightening.  The large over grown pond apple root stock is still growing nicely and has sent up a few shoots that I could go ahead and re-graft the ilama on to.

Hmmmm......went to post pictures I took with my phone and Post Image is saying they are too large.  What's up with that?

Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 09:13:54 PM »
I trimmed a branch of my Genova Red in memory :'(

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 09:29:41 PM »
Thanks for all the condolences and supportive thoughts. Here's a couple of shots of the aftermath.  It was wind and a weakened graft union that causes the problem...not lightening.  The large over grown pond apple root stock is still growing nicely and has sent up a few shoots that I could go ahead and re-graft the ilama on to.

Hmmmm......went to post pictures I took with my phone and Post Image is saying they are too large.  What's up with that?

Harry, you should consider growing it on a cherimoya rootstock. I just planted mine this week next year it will look like my Lisa atemoya.

Lisa on cherimoya rootstock after a few years

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 06:25:47 PM »
Harry,

here is one of the scions you sent me from your tree!  Its growing nicely, on illama rootstock.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 09:10:12 PM »
Harry,

here is one of the scions you sent me from your tree!  Its growing nicely, on illama rootstock.

Beautiful.  Looks a heck of a lot better than mine ever did on its pond apple root stock. Great job!
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 09:33:19 PM »
Harry, just an FYI, I just read a book where it talked a bit about graft incompatibility and it said that if after many years of normal growth, the tree breaks at the graft union, it would be a sign of delayed graft incompatibility because the cells of the scion and those of the rootstock have never interlocked (as in a compatible graft). Now, Mr. Chance could have played a role here in tandem with Mr. Storm, but I think the book has a good observation here.
Thera

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 09:35:38 PM »
Harry, just an FYI, I just read a book where it talked a bit about graft incompatibility and it said that if after many years of normal growth, the tree breaks at the graft union, it would be a sign of delayed graft incompatibility because the cells of the scion and those of the rootstock have never interlocked (as in a compatible graft). Now, Mr. Chance could have played a role here in tandem with Mr. Storm, but I think the book has a good observation here.

No doubt about it.  There was severe graft incompatibility between my Genova Red Ilama and it pond apple root stock.  The storms, both recently and Hurricane Wilma a few years ago did not help matters.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

apresser

• USA, Hawaii, Haleiwa
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2019, 11:50:36 PM »
Bringing this post back from the dead to report that this variety has been successfully fruited in Hawaii. Originally sent to me by Adam (flying fox) in 2014 or 2015, and described as Genova Red. I harvested this first fruit 2 days ago (after it cracked). It was my first time trying Ilama and I was impressed by the flavor and color, although the quantity of seeds was overwhelming and made it difficult to eat.

xmario

• SFL 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2019, 01:46:21 PM »
Sweeet!! How big the tree has gotten in these past 5 years? (Looking for a spot for mine)

Bringing this post back from the dead to report that this variety has been successfully fruited in Hawaii. Originally sent to me by Adam (flying fox) in 2014 or 2015, and described as Genova Red. I harvested this first fruit 2 days ago (after it cracked). It was my first time trying Ilama and I was impressed by the flavor and color, although the quantity of seeds was overwhelming and made it difficult to eat.

- Marius

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2019, 02:15:31 PM »
I thought Genova red was not this read on the inside but more like pinkish white based on pictures I have seen before.

apresser

• USA, Hawaii, Haleiwa
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2019, 07:17:21 PM »
The tree is actually pretty compact in its growth habit, its about 8 ft tall and 8ft wide. I've pruned it a few times, but not really aggressively. It has probably only sent out 10 or 12 flowers total, and the 2 fruits I got on there were both hand pollinated.

I noticed another comment about the color being too dark to be Genova Red... anyone else have any ideas about this one?

Sweeet!! How big the tree has gotten in these past 5 years? (Looking for a spot for mine)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2020, 11:22:22 PM »
selling my mother tree, and it's setting fruit!  wow! 

just have the one!

and it's grafted onto its own rootstock!  hard to find right?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GRAFTED-Annona-macroprophyllata-Genova-Red-Illama-on-its-own-rootstock-RARE/193459748609?hash=item2d0b197f01:g:CYkAAOSw~DVeuKKr
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com