Author Topic: Natural Green Thumb Wants To Buy  (Read 13012 times)

NaturalGreenthumb

• CA, 9b
    • View Profile
Natural Green Thumb Wants To Buy
« on: October 23, 2013, 04:54:02 PM »
Looking to buy air layered

Longan tree,
Wax apple
Mongsteen,
Lychee,
Passion fruit
Dragon fruit,
Ateamoya,
Cheramoya,
Goji berry,
Medical fruit
Jack fruit.
Pomogrante angle red and wonderful,
Sugarcane can soft chewable kind.  Black sugarcane

Jaboticaba
Wampee
Goji berry
Ice cream bean
Pineapple guava
Passion fruit
Custard apple
Sugar apple
Sapodilla
Bamboo

And any other tropical fruit that I don't k ow about.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 08:53:22 PM by NaturalGreenthumb »

eduardo_98

• USA, Florida, Tampa, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: WTB longan tree
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 05:02:33 PM »
What size longan are you looking for?

boukmn

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 06:48:54 PM »
I have several seedlings this size: 

I can send you a pair for $15.00. 
What is your email?

eduardo_98

• USA, Florida, Tampa, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 06:57:01 PM »
I have several seedlings this size: 

I can send you a pair for $15.00. 
What is your email?
What variety are they?

boukmn

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 07:10:06 PM »
Dragon Eye!  Nice big fruit.

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 07:43:47 PM »
NaturalGreenthumb,

You don't want to buy a seedling (much less 2) unless you want to wait 10-15 years for fruit.  Additionally you have no idea of what the quality of the fruit will be, or if it will even fruit for that matter.  Stay away from seedlings.  Look for an Air-layered tree.  There are plenty around and available.

boukmn

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 10:26:35 AM »
Obviously any plant grown from seedling will take longer to fruit that one propagated from marcotting. However, isn't 10-15 years a bit of an exaggeration?  Every source I've seen averages 1/2 that.  In addition, the plant can be induced to fruit early by adding Potassium chlorate in moderation, to the soil.

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 01:28:08 PM »
Obviously any plant grown from seedling will take longer to fruit that one propagated from marcotting. However, isn't 10-15 years a bit of an exaggeration?  Every source I've seen averages 1/2 that.  In addition, the plant can be induced to fruit early by adding Potassium chlorate in moderation, to the soil.
Seed grown fruit trees will vary, some will be good or even better than the parent plant, some not so good and are only good for composting. Like big seed to flesh ratio or not very sweet and flavorful and having watery flavor. One of my seed grown white peach, is like that, the fruits were large size, but it was very watery in flavor even with fertilization. Nothing can be done, except to top work it and graft some more desirable varieties on it. What Nullzero, is saying, is just a known average time estimated for longans, grown from seeds to first fruit. It depends on the variety it came from and location, in tropical regions of the world, longans, are known to fruit in 2-3 years time, from seeds, but of course, these are the tropical variety of longans not the sub tropical ones, we have here in the USA. One member on this forum, has his grown from seeds and it only was 5 years, till it first fruited, but he is from Mexico though. I think Potassium Chlorate, is only applied, if the mature tree isn't flowering. It is mainly use in the more Tropical regions, where the trees won't get enough required chill hours for flowering.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 01:34:10 PM »
What Nullzero, is saying, is just a known average time estimated for longans, grown from seeds to first fruit.

I said something in this thread  :o, I must be the forum ninja  ;D!

Anyway, I agree that the seedling may take years to fruit. The random chance of something even better then the parent is always nice, however it can go the other way as well.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 01:39:19 PM »
What Nullzero, is saying, is just a known average time estimated for longans, grown from seeds to first fruit.

Anyway, I agree that the seedling may take years to fruit. The random chance of something even better then the parent is always nice, however it can go the other way as well.
Null,
Sorry, my bad, just looked at it again and it was Jacob not you.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 02:16:59 PM »

Null,
Sorry, my bad, just looked at it again and it was Jacob not you.

No problem, I figured you were maybe reading another thread with my SN and inserted it on a response with Jacob.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 02:20:49 PM »
People do get lucky with seedlings here and there but you'd also have to keep in mind the California factor.
Tim

boukmn

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 02:41:12 PM »
People do get lucky with seedlings here and there but you'd also have to keep in mind the California factor.

Ok Tim I'll bite..what is the "California Factor"?

NaturalGreenthumb

• CA, 9b
    • View Profile
Natural Green Thumb Wants To Buy
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 10:42:32 PM »
Looking to buy dragon fruit cuttings.

What do you have how much?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 08:18:16 PM by pj1881 (Patrick) »

NaturalGreenthumb

• CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 10:42:51 PM »
Wtb fruiting longan tree

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
Re: Wtb dragon fruit cuttings
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 11:32:39 PM »
I have "Purple Haze" and "Phoenix Red", I can get cuttings from. Not sure how each of these two taste like, since they are first year plants, but large enough for 8"-12+" cuttings. If interested PM me, for details.

fruity

• Southern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2013, 02:58:38 PM »
http://tropicalbonsainursery.net/tropical_fruit_tree.html

Cheapest around for air layered longan.  Have not ordered from them.  If you do,  let me know how it goes.

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2013, 06:07:59 PM »

Cheapest around for air layered longan.  Have not ordered from them.  If you do,  let me know how it goes.

I have, most of his plants are rather small, but many are from cuttings, grafted or air layers, so maturity time is reduce as he states on his site. When I say cuttings, they were not air layers, that got cut off, after roots have been formed. He actually rooted the cuttings, after being cut off. Air layer is practically the same as cuttings, just that air layer plants, are rooted while still on the mother tree and cuttings are rooted after have been cut off, from the mature tree. The one, I got is advertise as a #5 plant, but looks smaller, like maybe a 1-2 gallon plant, instead. It didn't come with that large of a root mass/ball. But, it came fine and is slowly growing and surviving fine, so I can't complain much. Though, mine was more expensive($50+shipping), then that price in the link, since it was grafted and not an air layer. Wish, I could have gotten mine for the price in the link. Only have gotten it last year, around this time too.

So far, since I started this hobby of mine(quite expensive, I must say), I have gotten a few plants, from him last year, when, I first started collecting and growing tropical plants/trees. Have gotten 2 guava varieties(Emperor & Hybrid Pearl), Grafted Kohola longan, king Kong wax Apple/jambu, Lucoma and a mango seedling. Out of those plants, I got from him, that, I say is worth the price are the two guavas and wax apple variety, he has. You can't find other nurseries carrying those varieties else where, or at least, I haven't found them at any other nurseries yet. The guavas grew fast and would have been bigger 'n' taller, if I didn't cut them back to be more of a bush form, than tree. Speaking of guavas, on his Amazon store, many of his same plants are cheaper there than on his site. Like his #5 Pearl and Emperor guavas, are way cheaper there, than his site. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_lawn-garden?ie=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=Tropical+Bonsai+Nursery&node=2972638011

-most of his plants are from cuttings, air layers, or grafted(reduce fruiting/flower time)
-they are small, for their advertise size with small root ball, but will survive fine, if taken good care of the plants and it's needs
-a bit pricy for small plants, but that's CA for ya

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2013, 06:46:08 PM »

I have, most of his plants are rather small, but many are from cuttings, grafted or air layers, so maturity time is reduce as he states on his site. When I say cuttings, they were not air layers, that got cut off, after roots have been formed. He actually rooted the cuttings, after being cut off. Air layer is practically the same as cuttings, just that air layer plants, are rooted while still on the mother tree and cuttings are rooted after have been cut off, from the mature tree. The one, I got is advertise as a #5 plant, but looks smaller, like maybe a 1-2 gallon plant, instead. It didn't come with that large of a root mass/ball. But, it came fine and is slowly growing and surviving fine, so I can't complain much. Though, mine was more expensive($50+shipping), then that price in the link, since it was grafted and not an air layer. Wish, I could have gotten mine for the price in the link. Only have gotten it last year, around this time too.

So far, since I started this hobby of mine(quite expensive, I must say), I have gotten a few plants, from him last year, when, I first started collecting and growing tropical plants/trees. Have gotten 2 guava varieties(Emperor & Hybrid Pearl), Grafted Kohola longan, king Kong wax Apple/jambu, Lucoma and a mango seedling. Out of those plants, I got from him, that, I say is worth the price are the two guavas and wax apple variety, he has. You can't find other nurseries carrying those varieties else where, or at least, I haven't found them at any other nurseries yet. The guavas grew fast and would have been bigger 'n' taller, if I didn't cut them back to be more of a bush form, than tree. Speaking of guavas, on his Amazon store, many of his same plants are cheaper there than on his site. Like his #5 Pearl and Emperor guavas, are way cheaper there, than his site. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_lawn-garden?ie=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=Tropical+Bonsai+Nursery&node=2972638011

-most of his plants are from cuttings, air layers, or grafted(reduce fruiting/flower time)
-they are small, for their advertise size with small root ball, but will survive fine, if taken good care of the plants and it's needs

Longans can grow from cuttings?

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2013, 08:25:30 PM »

Not sure, but what I meant, was that, this nursery has most plants grown from cuttings, air layers, grafted or sometime seeds. Longans, as as far as I can tell, is only propagated by seeds, air layer, or grafted. But maybe cuttings in a very humid settings, like a rooting grow kit?, used by tropical "Grass growers". The chances might be very slim to none, but one can only find out, if tried. So, why don't you try that and report back? ;) ;D BTW, that longan, posted for sale in the link by the previous poster, is an air layer plant, not cutting.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 09:55:41 PM by thao »

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2013, 08:33:20 PM »

Not sure, but what I meant, was that nursery has most plants grown from cuttings, air layers, grafted or sometime seeds. Longans, as as far as I can tell, is only propagated by seeds, air layer, or grafted. But maybe cuttings in a very humid settings, like a rooting grow kit?, used by tropical "Grass growers". The chances might be very slim to none, but one can only find out, if tried. So, why don't you try that and report back? ;) ;D BTW, that longan, posted for sale in the link by the previous poster, is an air layer plant, not cutting.

Yes, ut the website has "cuttings" for sale...

WEll, as soon as my seedlings get a bit bigger i will try this out  ;D

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2013, 10:16:32 PM »
plantlover13,
Here's from the same seller on his Amazon store. It doesn't show any picture of the plant, but you could always email him asking for a picture. Does this give you hope?
http://www.amazon.com/Kohola-Longan-Cutting-Live-Plant/dp/B00G6SO1XM/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1382839817&sr=8-8&keywords=longan+plant

Sven

• USA, Sounthern California, Jamul, 9B 3000 ft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2013, 11:43:28 AM »
NaturalGreenthumb,

This list might help: http://www.crfg.org/nurlist.html

I know Roger Meyer (14) and Quang Ong (17) sell air layered trees, also Ben Poirier (21) might sell them.  These are all in San Diego County but the closest ones I know of to Riverside.

Regards,
Sven

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
Re: Wtb dragon fruit cuttings
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2013, 02:03:43 PM »
I have around 15-20 variaties.  PM if you want some

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile