Author Topic: Rambutan Scion...FREE  (Read 3490 times)

omarudy

• Miami, FL Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Rambutan Scion...FREE
« on: November 29, 2013, 12:34:01 PM »
Hey everyone,

My rambutan trees have grown too tall (9 feet), and I need to trim them down so they can fit in my greenhouse this winter. So would anyone like some rambutan scion? They are seedlings and I do not know if they are male or female, as they have not flowered yet, but will most likely flower this year or the next.

omarudy

• Miami, FL Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Rambutan Scion...FREE
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 01:24:08 PM »
Here are some pictures

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 10:24:17 PM »
Wow.......That is friggin awesome!  Do you have them in the ground or in Pots?

Thanks,

Jacob

omarudy

• Miami, FL Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 07:23:58 AM »
I have them in 25 gal pots, worst case scenario if they are both males I am going to graft them both.

omarudy

• Miami, FL Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 05:07:38 PM »
The scion is gone.

boukmn

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 04:19:31 PM »
Omarudy;

Please share your secrets; how are you growing Rambutan so successfully in South Florida?  What are you using for soil?  Fertilizer?  Water?

It would be much appreciated!

omarudy

• Miami, FL Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 06:28:56 PM »
The secret... a greenhouse, and 25 gallon pots. I feed them with rainwater and regular applications of fertilizer. The soil is just the miracle grow potting soil with extra perlite and peat moss.

My rambutan tree is not so photogenic, everytime I try to take a picture of it, it blends with the background too well and it looks invisible. But I posted the image anyways on the second one next to my greenhouse, the greenhouse is 7 ft tall just for comparison. I wanted to airlayer them and donate them to the Grimal Grove, but with winter coming so soon I didnt want to risk it.

boukmn

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 08:32:03 AM »
The secret... a greenhouse, and 25 gallon pots. I feed them with rainwater and regular applications of fertilizer. The soil is just the miracle grow potting soil with extra perlite and peat moss.

My rambutan tree is not so photogenic, everytime I try to take a picture of it, it blends with the background too well and it looks invisible. But I posted the image anyways on the second one next to my greenhouse, the greenhouse is 7 ft tall just for comparison. I wanted to airlayer them and donate them to the Grimal Grove, but with winter coming so soon I didnt want to risk it.

What fertilizer do you use?  How regularly do you apply? 

I was wondering ...could Rambutan be planted in the ground in Florida and watered with our well water IF we compensated by periodically spraying the foliage with a rainwater & micro nutrient mix?

Maryoto

• WhatsApp +62 812 3688 1182
    • Borneo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 02:42:43 PM »
Hi,
I'm from Indonesia, it looks like rambutan don't need male and female for pollination.
But to be sure, may be able to maintain two trees.
Give compost on rambutan crops, the plants love it.
Rambutan plants will thrive in soil that has a neutral PH.
Rambutans in front of my house is already in bloom, maybe I'll take the picture tomorrow.

omarudy

• Miami, FL Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 04:23:34 PM »
Hi Maryoto, there are both monoecious and dioecious plants of rambutan, meaning some are hermaphrodite and some are just male or female. Propagating them from seed is more likely to result in a male plant though, so yeah its better to have two.

And boukmn, I use miracle gro fertilizer (the blue one) with a couple drops of super thrive about once a month.

Maryoto

• WhatsApp +62 812 3688 1182
    • Borneo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 05:18:25 AM »
Hi Maryoto, there are both monoecious and dioecious plants of rambutan, meaning some are hermaphrodite and some are just male or female. Propagating them from seed is more likely to result in a male plant though, so yeah its better to have two.

And boukmn, I use miracle gro fertilizer (the blue one) with a couple drops of super thrive about once a month.
Well,then my rambutan plant is hermaphrodite.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 11:03:00 AM »

Why would you air layer a seedling to donate to Grimal Grove? I think it would be better if people only donated quality cultivars. It may be possible that yours will be a great tasting hermaphrodite but why waste someone's limited resources for an unknown quality seedling?

omarudy

• Miami, FL Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 11:19:51 AM »

Why would you air layer a seedling to donate to Grimal Grove? I think it would be better if people only donated quality cultivars. It may be possible that yours will be a great tasting hermaphrodite but why waste someone's limited resources for an unknown quality seedling?

You are absolutely right. Well then, even better that I did not get to airlayer them. :P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk