Author Topic: California grown tropical fruit trees  (Read 60810 times)

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
California grown tropical fruit trees
« on: April 02, 2012, 11:07:37 AM »
Sorry guys, I had to pull down the list for now, with recent changes, life has gotten too hectic.  I hope to be able to start shipping again come April if not sooner,  Thank you all for the concern and the kind words.

Cheers,
-Ethan
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 01:56:11 AM by Ethan »

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: California grown tropical fruit trees
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 12:32:46 PM »
Impressive list Ethan.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 02:14:53 PM »
Ethan - you say some are seedlings and some make no mention of the propagation method...could you please clarify for everyone what the propagation methods are for all plants.
- Rob

Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 06:19:54 PM »
Good point Rob, added it to the list.  I also hope to start posting some grafted stuff in the near future.

cheers,
-Ethan

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 04:37:49 PM »
Ethan, I would be interested in some of the grafted tropical fruits. would love to see what you got there.

Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 12:58:06 AM »
Thanks N/Z.

Behl, as soon as they are ready I'll update the list.

cheers,
-Ethan

Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 01:53:33 AM »
Here is a picture of a 16oz. mangosteen and a 32oz. marang plus a standard soda can.

Most the stuff in 16oz and 32oz (plus 1 gal durian) is about 8-9mo. old, the larger 1-2 gallon stuff is about 20 mo. and I think the oldest are the chempedak and macadamias at about 3yrs.

let me know if you have anymore questions,
-Ethan

« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 05:22:45 PM by Ethan »

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 08:44:56 PM »
Here is a picture of a 16oz. mangosteen and a 32oz. marang plus a standard soda can.

Most the stuff in 16oz and 32oz (plus 1 gal durian) is about 8-9mo. old, the larger 1-2 gallon stuff is about 20 mo. and I think the oldest are the chempedak and macadamias at about 3yrs.

let me know if you have anymore questions,
-Ethan

Very nice Ethan! I wish I had room for all those. I'm still interested.
JF

Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 02:59:51 AM »
No problem Phucvu,
most stuff goes out USPS priority so shipping just depends on what you get.  One person paid about $9 for their shipping another is paying close to $40.

Thank you JF, I'm still waiting on some things for you but let me know if you need anything else.

-Ethan

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 11:45:18 PM »
No problem Phucvu,
most stuff goes out USPS priority so shipping just depends on what you get.  One person paid about $9 for their shipping another is paying close to $40.

Thank you JF, I'm still waiting on some things for you but let me know if you need anything else.

-Ethan

tempting but....no thanks Ethan. I have too many things going on. I love to grow some of those garcinas and lichis I just don't have the room.  Thanks for the offer.

JF

Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 02:42:23 AM »
Phucvu,
no ebay, just a guy w/some extra plants and I use paypal.

I'm glad they made it in good shape DT, I was a little worried about the weather.
Thank you for your kind comments and order, let me know if you'd like anything else.

-Ethan

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 07:59:34 AM »
I have had the opportunity to trade plants with Ethan.  He, indeed, is a packaging wiz.  I have never seen meticulous wrapping and packaging the likes of his.  Well, maye the folks at Apple are in his league. Keep up the good work, Ethan.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 10:35:49 AM »
Thank you for the kind words Harry, always a pleasure trading w/you too. 

best wishes in your tropical paradise,
-Ethan

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 02:52:21 AM »
Ethan, curious as to how you keep tropicals from over heating in Central California. Don't you often get over 100F? Do you just use shade cloth for super hot summer spells or do you have some kind of cooling system?
Oscar

Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 10:26:15 AM »
Yes Oscar, it does get very hot and dry here, I have certain plants under shade cloth or in filtered light.  Surprisingly things like durian and mangosteen dont seem to mind........yet.  I'm going to try some ideas to bump the humidity this year, we'll see how that works.

-Ethan

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 12:27:19 PM »
Yes Oscar, it does get very hot and dry here, I have certain plants under shade cloth or in filtered light.  Surprisingly things like durian and mangosteen dont seem to mind........yet.  I'm going to try some ideas to bump the humidity this year, we'll see how that works.

-Ethan

I was thinking of setting up mister emitters in between the trees. Have them on an on off cycle. Its great to have a source of CA adapted tropical fruit seedlings.

Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 01:56:39 PM »
I forgot to mention Oscar that I'm hoping since these plants have been growing in my harsh environment from little sproutlings that they may adapt in at least a minor way to my (and other CA) conditions.

N/Z I was thinking misters too maybe morning and night?

-Ethan

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 02:42:50 PM »
I forgot to mention Oscar that I'm hoping since these plants have been growing in my harsh environment from little sproutlings that they may adapt in at least a minor way to my (and other CA) conditions.

N/Z I was thinking misters too maybe morning and night?

-Ethan

I was thinking on and off cycled through out the day, perhaps run 15min once an hour perhaps for 12-14 hours. Though the heat may make it ineffective during the long hot days of summer. A morning and evening cycle wouldnt hurt, I think it would be only beneficial. I notice my container plants love to be misted and fertilized after 7, they perk up nicely at night.

During the day it seems all the plants are trying their best to prevent evapotranspiration, so misting unless constant may have less of an effect, since the stomata are mostly closed (no idea which is best yet, just experiments I want to try).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 02:47:57 PM by nullzero »

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 03:32:05 PM »
Ethan,

I have been running a very small home humidifier in my 6x8 greenhouse at night and I have had amazing growth on my 5 foot mangosteen and 5 foot cacao, all of  the other tropicals are doing real good as well. During the day I have a shade cloth covering and if I keep the door close d the humidity stays in the 90's.

Mark

Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 04:17:22 PM »
The only problem about misting in the day is water on the leaf surface can act as a magnifying glass.

5' mangosteen, wow Mark!  With as hot as we get I need to find a balance of humidity containment, temperature control and light availability, w/out using a bunch of power (no AC for the plants).

-Ethan

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2012, 04:34:15 PM »
For the misting, I have heard about the magnify glass effect (some people say it makes no difference). I think with the smaller particles it would be much less of a problem. Especially since the water droplets would evaporate pretty fast. What I do to increase humidity passively, is place water saucers in between the plants making sure the water gets ample sun light. When I hand water the plants the excess water falls into the saucers and evaporates during the day.

I find that surrounding the arid sensitive trees, up against larger leafy trees seems to help a lot. My larger pomegranate trees produce nice micro climates for the other plants such as the kiwi vines, dragon fruit, and lychees.

Kiwi vines like the water and are heavy drinkers during the hotter days of summer. I found the SWC container provided a huge benefit to the kiwi during summer. The lychee also has very little sunburn/heat stress in the SWC. I originally thought that the lack of humidity would never give me healthy sub tropical trees. However there seems to be only certain trees which can't adapt to arid conditions (Theobroma sp. seems to  be one of those that can't adapt for me).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 04:42:20 PM by nullzero »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2012, 05:09:48 PM »

-Ethan

I've heard that 105F is about the temperature these plants can tolerate and after that go downhill. What is your top temperature in your greenhouse?
Oscar

Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2012, 11:42:04 PM »
Here you are Phucvu,
mine are not as big as in the link, I've already sold some so more in the 5-6" range for green and 3-4" range for red.  The reds are definitely less vigorous at least as juveniles.  The plus side for mine, you can almost buy 2 of mine for one of his, shipping is a little cheaper  and my seeds come from a world famous annona grower in FL.  I'd mention his name but then I'd probably owe him royalties........I probably owe him a few cold Medalias as it is.

Oscar, I've seen 115F in my lifetime not much is happy over 100F.  My greenhouses are temporary ones, during the rest of the year one is a swing arbor with passion fruit the other a grape arbor.

-Ethan
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 11:50:18 PM by Ethan »

Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 01:20:34 AM »
Yes, most of the small stuff is being grow indoors in South facing windows, inside makeshift greenhouses to protect them from the heater (for now).  The larger stuff is either in an outdoor GH or under the open sky depending.  The sugar apples have been growing pretty well but are starting to put out some serious growth now that there is more light available.  Seeds can be a pain sometimes, I've lost many of them and some just take their sweet time.  I am growing diallum indum, (velvet tamarind) I had one seed sprout pretty quick, 2 others took almost a year.  So 3 out of 15 seeds sprout and 10 months of seed tending, these things better taste good! ;D

let me know if you have any other questions,
-Ethan

Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 12:57:17 PM »
Phucvu, I just reread the link, they list them in the 5-6" range so they are similar sizes.  So same size, almost 2 for the price of one, great genetic stock and cheaper shipping.......how can you go wrong? 8)

cheers,
-Ethan