Author Topic: Updated Photos! - Greenhouse Ideas - DIY Solar Panel - Construction Photos  (Read 12343 times)

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
Re: Updated Photos! - Greenhouse Ideas - DIY - Construction Photos
« Reply #100 on: December 08, 2019, 07:19:29 AM »
I spent hours yesterday blasting soot off my citrus trees.  About 75% of the leaves were coated black but a blast of a mix of Ivory liquid dish soap, blast of well water and then a rinse of rain water did the trick.  Having a greenhouses creates more work with more disease and insect pressures than not.  I've had a terrible time with mealybugs and scale this year.  It's always something.

Mark,
I have a row of mandarine oranges growing on the south side of my house.
I used to have a bad issue with black soot mold from the mealy bugs that fed on a nearby hackberry tree.
They would drop sugar onto the leaves which fed the mold.
That tree departed this world a few years ago... and so has my black soot problem.

Although I occasionally see black soot mold rearing its ugly head from scale bugs.
But only on the containerized citrus.
The citrus in the ground gets enough cold every winter to keep the insects at bay.

Kevin

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Updated Photos! - Greenhouse Ideas - DIY Solar Panel - Construction Photos
« Reply #101 on: December 10, 2019, 12:00:36 PM »
those thermocubes are only three bucks on amazon at the moment:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006U2HD2/

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 10, 2019, 08:27:11 PM »
Their prices are in constant flux... much more expensive when I checked.
Thanks for the heads-up Brian. I'll keep an eye out.

Kevin

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 13, 2019, 09:43:34 AM »
They are back at $3.11 again.

Kevin

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Updated Photos! - Greenhouse Ideas - DIY - Construction Photos
« Reply #104 on: December 14, 2019, 06:48:27 AM »

Mark,
I have a row of mandarine oranges growing on the south side of my house.
I used to have a bad issue with black soot mold from the mealy bugs that fed on a nearby hackberry tree.
They would drop sugar onto the leaves which fed the mold.
That tree departed this world a few years ago... and so has my black soot problem.

Although I occasionally see black soot mold rearing its ugly head from scale bugs.
But only on the containerized citrus.
The citrus in the ground gets enough cold every winter to keep the insects at bay.

Kevin

I loaded up a hose on garden sprayer with a mix of Ivory soap, blasted the soot off, rinsed.  Even though I quickly followed up with a blast of well water and then rain water for some strange reason a lot of my blood orange leaves fell off at the petiole.  Looks weird, a 100 big toothpix lined up on branches.

Did a lot of citrus grafts too last year.  Still haven't picked any Marrs oranges.  They are as big as grapefruits.  This is a graft on a key lime tree that's produced at least 300 awesome limes.  Am getting limequats too from grafts.

November:

Quaffing  (not shooting) Casa Noble Anejo (try this one!) with key limes never tasted so good.

vivek singh

• India, Uttar Pradesh/ Lucknow, USDA 10/11
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2024, 08:42:13 AM »
For your 240 sq ft greenhouse, a ceramic fan heater could be a great choice. These heaters are good because they warm up quickly and are more energy-efficient, which means they can save you some money on electricity. They usually come with safety features like automatic shut-off if they tip over or get too hot. This is super important when you're not always there to keep an eye on things.

Another cool option is an infrared heater. These heaters work by warming up objects and surfaces directly instead of just heating the air. It's kind of like how the sun feels on your skin. This is great for plants because it keeps them warm without making the air too dry. Infrared heaters are also quiet and efficient, making them a good fit for your greenhouse setup.

You can click here and read some articles on different solar heaters that might help you save some money on energy.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 09:18:09 AM by vivek singh »

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2024, 06:24:01 AM »
After this season I will check them out.... Thanks Vivek.

Kevin

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2024, 12:31:50 PM »
So, a couple of thoughts, from the "been there done that" department -
Get a 12 gauge extension cord, and get it as short as possible, so you don't leak amperage along the way. Putting it through foam pipe insulation helps also.

A heat pump may work as long as you are over about 30 degrees F, but after that you are just paying for normal heat anyway. And in the US most areas they have to be installed by a pro, permitted, etc.

What IS pretty cheap is a ventless wall furnace.  20,000 BTU ones, and a 5 gallon propane tank, will set you back less than $200.  Only drawback is that they produce water vapor.  I am in the high desert so that is great, but where you are, it may drive the humidity too high.

Good luck, and have fun with your new plant haven!

Carolyn

Groovyfruit

• Redlands, CA 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 14, 2024, 01:59:57 PM »
HI All,

I'm curious about your approach-- I'm due to put up a greenhouse in a few months and need your thoughts:

(1) Electricity--  did you have an electrician run outlets to the interior or are you OK relying on extension cords and the like?  If you did re-wire an outlet, was that done before or after the greenhouse structure was up?

(2) Water -- did you have a plumber run water to the interior, and is it better to do that before the structure is up or is it typically reasonable to put up the structure first?

If it matters-- this will be an Janssen's aluminum 10x15 greenhouse in 9B.

Thanks all for your input!

Tom