Author Topic: Avocado thread  (Read 183027 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado thread
« Reply #275 on: May 29, 2018, 02:33:30 PM »
Yep, those avocados are gonners. 

Interesting that the "north" has more groves than the south.

Glad to share the info Samu.  20 years ago I was considering getting into the avocado biz commercially.  I have accumulated a file that would choke a horse.  Have 20 collectors books on grapes and winemaking too, like T.V. Munson's book.

Yeah I didnt get the north vs south thing either.  Its all in the southern half of the state.  My place is about where the "n" is in san diego.

Avocado production has until recently been highest in SD county.  With the droughts lots of acres have been stumped out.  Water prices are higher in SD than ventura so they are now the biggest producers in the US.  Luckily I don't have to deal with that problem. 

« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 02:35:43 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #276 on: May 29, 2018, 02:49:42 PM »
Yep, those avocados are gonners. 

Interesting that the "north" has more groves than the south.

Glad to share the info Samu.  20 years ago I was considering getting into the avocado biz commercially.  I have accumulated a file that would choke a horse.  Have 20 collectors books on grapes and winemaking too, like T.V. Munson's book.

Maybe North San Diego County vs. South San Diego County.  ???

UPDATE: It is Northern Districts vs. Southern Districts.  My guess Districts 1 & 2 are South.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 03:06:21 PM by ricshaw »

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 29, 2018, 03:17:58 PM »
There is 50-100 year old Avocado tree's all over Santa Cruz and 1 commercial farm I know of, I mention for fact only not recommendation , " Abounding Harvest"  ::)

Huge MacNuts in SC too, but not surprised we are not represented on the Map. I think that map is 1/2 truth accurate on the most general of scales.

California Avocado demission seems like a glorified Guacamole lobbyist group.

Cost of land where they grow well often makes a new investment into the Avocado Orchard game not that smart, unless your banking on long term, and then one good freeze and your screwed.

I've been solely managing a 10 year old Avocado and Citrus Orchard here on about 1 acre. Growing well except idiot landowners keep cutting off the water at all the wrong times and now they sliced up my irrigation lines to install a new 2" main to feed their stupid 5 acres of grapes they just put in. California does not need 1 more stupid grape vine planted anywhere! You see them everywhere in CA spreading like a legal pot growing cash cow.

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 29, 2018, 03:30:55 PM »
There is 50-100 year old Avocado tree's all over Santa Cruz and 1 commercial farm I know of, I mention for fact only not recommendation , " Abounding Harvest"  ::)

Huge MacNuts in SC too, but not surprised we are not represented on the Map. I think that map is 1/2 truth accurate on the most general of scales.

Cost of land where they grow well often makes a new investment into the Avocado Orchard game not that smart, unless your banking on long term, and then one good freeze and your screwed.

I've been solely managing a 10 year old Avocado and Citrus Orchard here on about 1 acre. Growing well except idiot landowners keep cutting off the water at all the wrong times and now they sliced up my irrigation lines to install a new 2" main to feed their stupid 5 acres of grapes they just put in. California does not need 1 more stupid grape vine planted anywhere! You see them everywhere in CA spreading like a legal pot growing cash cow.

Interesting about the orchard there.  I'm surprised irrigation is needed in Santa Cruz for a 10 year old orchard -- you get a seemingly-perfect amount of rain for avocados to live off of once established.

Brokaw has a big orchard in the Soledad area (and I assume they're not the only ones) that is also not reflected in the chart...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 04:01:51 PM by barath »

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 29, 2018, 03:38:32 PM »
Hi Brad

Have you had any issues with mulch being against the bark? Looks like your trees are doing really well so I assume no problems, but I’ve heard from others time and again to give some clearance to the main trunk.

K

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 29, 2018, 04:07:05 PM »

Avocado tree's really like water in my experience. Especially during fruit set and formation. I watered all last year and have been eating and giving away Avo's since January.
NO irrigation yet this year and they are starting to look droopy and sad on the new growth, as fruit set set's in.
This Orchard has 6- 10 foot deep loam .
Drought was not kind to established groves in SD county.
I don't believe in not watering mature Avocado tree's with they way we know the root systems grow.
The Bonny Doon and other mature tree's in Santa Cruz are planted on Clay where I hit standing water at 18" during peak drought so the water table and subsurface water matter. This is my theory on why you see mature tree's in the Bay with loads of fruit and no irrigation. The water table is high enough that they can get away with it. Like the Greenway should be.

Interesting about the orchard there.  I'm surprised irrigation is needed in Santa Cruz for a 10 year old orchard -- you get seemingly-perfect amount of rain for avocados to live off of once established.

Brokaw has a big orchard in the Soledad area (and I assume they're not the only ones) that is also not reflected in the chart...

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 29, 2018, 04:11:56 PM »
I dont know Jonah, I dont think the avocado commission meant to leave you off the map intentionally.

Khalid, theres not much mulch against my trees.  Less than 1 inch.  I dont pile it up around the trunks.  Its easy enough to just not put it right on the trunks.
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 29, 2018, 05:24:50 PM »
Khalid, theres not much mulch against my trees.  Less than 1 inch.  I dont pile it up around the trunks.  Its easy enough to just not put it right on the trunks.

Curious, you guys that mulch avocados, which is a requirement for avocado especially, do you see fine white feeder roots just below the mulch?   I do.   

Spaugh, what photo service do you use?  It's really nice compared to the forum's choice.

Speaking of big stick wielding giants, when I spoke to CALAVO many years ago, asking questions and revealing my tentative commercial intent, I got hold of some yahoo on the phone that said something to the effect, "you can't do that!"  It was like I was breaking some holy law regarding who can and who can not grow their precious fruit.

Years ago, the big boyz California lobbying efforts to keep Hawaiian grown Sharwil out of the States using a trumped up ruse that the fruit was infested with a deadly beetle was a hoot.   ;D

Years ago I talked to a big avocado commercial grower and shipper who said he was getting out.  He was fed up with the heavy handed California govt. bullshit.  Texas is getting a big influx of you guys because of it.  Around me which is peach, wine, and grape country....we're getting a lot of former Californian vineyard managers/owners.   One of my buddies hired a microbiologist who moved here from Ravenwoods winery, Sonoma. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 05:26:41 PM by Mark in Texas »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 29, 2018, 06:45:18 PM »
Hey mark, white roots, yes.  They better be or the tree is unhappy.  Photo site is flickr.com it costs 30 or 40 a year.  Had it forever and am stuck with it now.  Works good but there may be others that are free.  We put all our photos on it.  Makes sharing easy.

CA laws and bullshit, yes lots of it.  Key is to live outside of the normal areas.  Where anything goes and no one is paying attention.  Never had anyone bug me about anything out here.
Brad Spaugh

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 29, 2018, 07:05:40 PM »
Can you expect the California Avocado Commission (https://www.californiaavocadogrowers.com), a group for profit, to care about other non-member Avocado growers?

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #285 on: May 29, 2018, 07:09:41 PM »

See Map on this link: https://www.californiaavocado.com/the-california-difference/our-growers

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 29, 2018, 11:30:59 PM »
Hehehehehe . I'm not complaining.  8)
Like your saying " Out of sight , out of mind" .
I don't want to meet or see  any Avocado delusioner's. ;)

I dont know Jonah, I dont think the avocado commission meant to leave you off the map intentionally.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 30, 2018, 12:26:58 PM »
I'll have a talk with the commision and have them rectify the situation.

I went to look at my trees this morning and my reed tree is dropping fruit.  Sucks, I should have thinned them down a bit the trees are too young to hold so many fruits.   One tree still has a bunch on it but dropping them.  Every year the fruit stick a little longer.    Wish they would stay on another couple months, the oil is just OK at this point.  The hass are really nice.  And I picked the last sir prize, that should be great.  My neighbors think the reeds are good at least. 

Brad Spaugh

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 30, 2018, 12:35:29 PM »
Dang they look Yummy!
Zone 10

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 30, 2018, 12:43:49 PM »
Too bad theres no brix meter for avocado oil.  These reeds are good but they are not really perfectly ripe yet.  I may cull half of the remaining ones in hopes the rest will hang another couple months.  Should have done it 10 months ago.  Defintwly will be thinning trees this year around August.

My neighbor has a cold smoker bbq he smokes meat and cheese with.  He said he is going to try and smoke some of my avocado for the hell of it.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 12:56:03 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 30, 2018, 02:39:41 PM »
Hey mark, white roots, yes.  They better be or the tree is unhappy.  Photo site is flickr.com it costs 30 or 40 a year.  Had it forever and am stuck with it now.  Works good but there may be others that are free.  We put all our photos on it.  Makes sharing easy.

CA laws and bullshit, yes lots of it.  Key is to live outside of the normal areas.  Where anything goes and no one is paying attention.  Never had anyone bug me about anything out here.

1. Thanks

2.  Sounds like a winner.  City peeps like you and me don't have it so good.  I have so much freedom it's ridiculous, resources too.  My 1 HP well pump costs pennies per day to run.  If I want to run it full bore on my lawn or field I can.  Will say this again, there's nothing as fine as a Grundfos Constant Water Pressure system, #301.  Get rid of all the crap that comes with the tank and such and go with a Grundfos come time to change it out.  With the touch of a button I can zoom from 40 PSI to 100 PSI.  On board diagnostics, variable motor like your drill.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 30, 2018, 02:41:58 PM »
Like your saying " Out of sight , out of mind" .

"It's much easier to ask for forgiveness than permission."

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 30, 2018, 02:44:40 PM »
Too bad theres no brix meter for avocado oil.

Carlos to the rescue.  https://www.myavocadotrees.com/dry-weight-measurement-in-florida-avocados.html

re: the cut Reeds.  You really know how to hurt a guy.   :D

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 30, 2018, 07:55:29 PM »
My neighbor smoked half a reed today, it was actually really good.  Wasnt sure what to expect.  Next we are going to salt it and quarter it and use avocado oil on it and smoke longer then top with mozzerella cheese and tomato.

Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 31, 2018, 08:21:14 AM »
Never tried avocado on the grill.  Have done lemon halves and thick slices of fresh pineapple which are delish.

One of these days am gonna try avocado pickles.  Simple enough.  https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a54123/avocado-pickles-recipe/

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 04, 2018, 01:01:41 PM »
Planted 6 more avocados and 2 cherimoya/atemoya crosses this weekend. Im really trying to push the limits on how fast I can plant a seed in a 2 gallon pot, graft it, then let it push a little and plant out in the grove in full sun.  Planted 2 x jan boyce, mex grande, carmen hass, daily, green gold.  The mex grande and carmens were grown from seed 4 or 5 months ago and grafted a couple months ago.  So around 5 months from seed in pot to grafted tree in orchard.  My biggest concern is that an animal will eat them.  Because they were not heavily rootbound, I expect these to grow significantly in the next 2 to 3 months.  The holes were dug the size of the pots, plant dropped in, back filled with native soil.   They got a top dressing of compost then a top dressing of mulch and thats it.  In a month they will get a very small dose of avocado/citrus food.

Mex grande

Carmen

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 01:06:46 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 04, 2018, 01:22:33 PM »
I even got my wife to mulch the new trees :-* ;D

Trust me this is hard work here going up and down the hills.  My wife is a real champ, she comes and does mulches for exercise occasionally.  I got to take a break and hold the baby while mom knocked out some mulching...

Brad Spaugh

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 04, 2018, 01:43:45 PM »
So happy for you to ser this, Brad!
When the family helps -especially the spouse- things are
a whole lot easier around the house...  :D
Sam

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 05, 2018, 05:14:59 PM »
Your trees look fantastic!
My Holiday seems to be suffering from root rot :( The wife got a little water happy...
Hass and lamb-hass are doing great, as was the holiday before It turned all brown and the top withered up. Looks like it may be a goner.
-Kris

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 05, 2018, 08:50:40 PM »
Kris, that's too bad about the Holiday.  Sounds like yours is shriveling back like my own two from Green Acres.  You know something is wrong when you are getting 90-110F degree days and still you haven't been able to water your Avocado plant for 2-3 weeks because its soil is still "wet."

Brad, your pics above are lovely.  I can't help bus feel envious as too how unmolested that foliage looks.  I'd say 4 out of 5 of the new flush from my avocado trees are riddled with holes from some leaf eating critters.  1 in 5 is eaten to total evanescence - just a frame of a leaf left.  I'm organic mostly, so the sprays I'm using must not matter to these leaf hoppers. (I presume that's what's munching down on them.)  Sorry to hear about the overload of fruit leading to premature drop, though you have to admit that has got to be a "1st world problem."

Keep the pics flowing - they're encouraging through the eyes.