Author Topic: California Rare Fruit Growers Festival of Fruit in Hawaii 2013  (Read 5265 times)

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
California Rare Fruit Growers Festival of Fruit in Hawaii 2013
« on: November 25, 2012, 10:21:29 AM »
Here you go folks you can start saving now.
http://www.crfg.org/2013FoF/default.html 

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: California Rare Fruit Growers Festival of Fruit in Hawaii 2013
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 10:23:50 AM »
That looks awesome. I think I will go.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 04:12:40 PM »
I love to go to this one but why late Sept.? Maybe we can plan a tour of Oscar's farms :D

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 11:56:32 PM »
I don't know why they scheduled so late. The powers that be decided! That would be cool to check out Oscar's place. I know Late schedule = time to save $$

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 07:42:14 AM »
I don't know why they scheduled so late. The powers that be decided! That would be cool to check out Oscar's place. I know Late schedule = time to save $$

The reason for the late September schedule is that this CRFG festival will coincide with the HTFG (Hawaii Tropical Fruit Growers) conference, which is always at that time of year. The reason the HTFG conference is at that time of year is because it is when some of the co-op members have time to attend a conference and listen to and give presentations... (they aren't packing fruit, or shipping fruit). It's not the best time of year for fruit, but i didn't make that call.
According to Ken Love, who is organizing the HTFG conference it will be held in Kona. The calendar on the link gives the impression it will be in Honolulu, and also in Maui. That might be a bit confusing. Certainly if you try to go to 3 islands you will be flying around a lot and not be able to see much of any one island.
Would be glad to show people around my farms. Just be aware that Kona is a full 3 hours drive from my place. It would be good if you combined the drive over with a stop at Volcano National Park. I would suggest over nighting in Hilo where there are several hotels to choose from.
If anyone needs help planning their itinerary i would be glad to be able to help out.
Oscar

roboto212

• Pahoa, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 10:36:27 PM »
oh this is exciting :)

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 11:25:05 PM »
A little update of festival.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 11:48:43 PM by ScottR »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 01:13:10 PM »
A little update of festival.

Don't see any update? Or perhaps the editor accidentally removed it???
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 09:47:43 AM »
SAVE THE DATE FOR HTFG CONFERENCE
Event Part of California Rare Fruit Growers Fall Festival

HONOLULU— The 23rd Annual Hawaii International Tropical Fruit Conference will be September 27-29, 2013, starting at the University of Hawaii at Manoa campus. Titled “Best of Both Worlds,” the week-long gathering is in partnership with the California Rare Fruit Growers Fall Festival of Fruit. The conference is expected to attract more than 100 visitors from the Golden State.
Presented by the statewide Hawaii Tropical Fruit Growers (HTFG) and California Rare Fruit Growers (CRFG), the event is geared to farmers, educators, orchard managers and proponents of sustainable agriculture. Since 2011, the confab includes stops on all four Hawaiian Islands to reach out to more growers and take tours of existing agricultural operations. Planned tours on Oahu are Frankie’s Nursery, the Urban Garden Center, Lyon Arboretum and Foster Botanical Garden. The confab moves to Maui on Monday, Sept. 30 and continues to Hilo, Kona and Kauai October 1-3, with tours set at Maui   Pineapple Company and Kauai’s National Tropical Botanical and Allerton Gardens.
Ken Love, HTFG president, says the conference will have breakout sessions on specific crops, while delving into a wide range of topics like value-added product development, food preservation and safety, fruit nutrition and marketing.
The conference is open to the public. Registration forms and fee schedule will be available in April at www.htfg.org or by contacting Love at kenlove@hawaiiantel.net or Mark Suiso at suiso@aloha.net.
Oscar

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 11:44:03 AM »
Thanks for posting Oscar, I'm glad I can graft better than operate a computer! ;D

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 11:47:59 AM »
Thanks for posting Oscar, I'm glad I can graft better than operate a computer! ;D

Don't think the forum setup allows for attaching word documents. In cases like that best to just copy and paste.
Oscar