Author Topic: Lychee X Longon Hybrid?  (Read 1832 times)

LycheeLust

• I need the seedless lychee
    • Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
Lychee X Longon Hybrid?
« on: December 05, 2020, 03:57:10 AM »
Does anyone know anything about this hybrid? Listed as “Nhan Vai”

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
Re: Lychee X Longon Hybrid?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 09:10:48 AM »
Looks like lychee

Bs on hybrid

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 10:50:06 AM »
Looks like lychee

Bs on hybrid

But would be a harder sell at high prices if they just said lychee...
- Rob

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 11:23:46 AM »
The guy that sells those is pretty reputable.  He also has the connections to bring in new plants.  Someone else posted about this plant recently and most people told him not a longan X.  But I dont really know why the seller would lie about it.  It most likely is what he is claiming imo just based on his reputation and connections.

But no one here will prove you one way or the other. 

And even if it is a pure lyche is pretty huge so they still look better than anything else Ive seen at nurseries.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 11:26:40 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 11:54:56 AM »
Huge??  I know its Cali but look at the base of the trunk.  Whimpy whimpy whimpy...and as its staked, tgats usually not a great sign for an established air layer (by the looks at the soul line, it looks weak).

If its labeled as such, seller should be able to provide details.  "Usually reputable or not"...caveat emptor
- Rob

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 01:00:00 PM »
Rob I was referring to the fruit size, its pictured next to a silver dollar it looks like.  Calm down with all the negativity man. 

I'm sure the seller has info on the plants he is selling.  I think he importered these from overseas but you would have to ask him to be sure lycheelust.  I assume this was at the nursery in San diego?  What did the seller tell you?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 01:06:18 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 02:10:11 PM »
Rob I was referring to the fruit size, its pictured next to a silver dollar it looks like.  Calm down with all the negativity man. 

I'm sure the seller has info on the plants he is selling.  I think he importered these from overseas but you would have to ask him to be sure lycheelust.  I assume this was at the nursery in San diego?  What did the seller tell you?

Its a picture from where?  Again, bs sales pitch IMO.

If I remember from the other post on this, seller had no info.  Its not negativity,  its reality.   There is not a lot of accurate info nor reality on this site lately.

Sorry if you dont like what I post but you should no me from the years, I calls things as I sees 'em.  Not my problem if people dont like that.  I am not one to just 'go with the fliw" or sugarcoat things
- Rob

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 02:47:36 PM »
Im sure the nursery knows exactly what they have, where its from etc thry just dont advertise to every person that walks in the door where thry get their stuff.  That guy has a nursery for decades and a farm etc.  And works for the UC system.  I dont think he is a scammer but whatever.
Brad Spaugh

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 03:40:32 PM »
Does anyone know anything about this hybrid? Listed as “Nhan Vai”

I believe that "Nhan Vai" is a combination of the Vietnamese names for longan and lychee very similar to how we use the name plumcot to refer to a hybrid of a plum and apricot in English. The fruit and leaves in the picture remind me of the variety Sweet Cliff (Tian Yan/ Tim Naan) which was thought by many to be a hybrid of lychee and longan because it has more of a longan taste. However,  it was found to be pure litchi chinensis. If it is Sweet Cliff, it is not a hybrid. If it is a hybrid, it is very unique indeed.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2020, 04:23:59 PM »
 Leaves, bark and fruit all appear to be lychee.Looks like chakapat lychee (emperor),they can flatten out on the skin.Wai chee (sweetcliff) look like that to but smaller.
 Bob Murray of tree house nursery used to think sweetcliff looked like longan

LycheeLust

• I need the seedless lychee
    • Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2020, 06:24:43 PM »

Willow nursery in Morgan Hill. I haven't talked to the seller I just saw this picture

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2020, 07:48:06 PM »
Do a search.  There is absolutely nothing out there concerning a lychee/longan hybrid.  Don't you think that odd?  This would be the talk of the rare fruit world and publications out the ass.  Nada.  Zip.  Fiction.  Just as bsbully states...it's BS.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2020, 08:00:04 PM »

Willow nursery in Morgan Hill. I haven't talked to the seller I just saw this picture

Oh well theres someone else selling them in san diego as well. 
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2020, 08:03:40 PM »
Do a search.  There is absolutely nothing out there concerning a lychee/longan hybrid.  Don't you think that odd?  This would be the talk of the rare fruit world and publications out the ass.  Nada.  Zip.  Fiction.  Just as bsbully states...it's BS.

Maybe its BS, I dont knowbut just 2 seconds of searching shows up some scientific publications

"Abstract
The breeding barriers between commercial litchi (Litchi chinensis Sonn.) and longan (Dimocarpus longan Lour.) cultivars were investigated by conducting reciprocal pollinations. This work has shown that it is possible to generate intergeneric hybrids using litchi as the female parent. Investigation of comparative in vivo pollen tube growth demonstrated that there is discrimination against cross- compared to self-pollen at all sites in the pistil. Pollen tubes were frequently observed in the ovary after cross-pollination in litchi but rarely in longan. Fruit production was reduced after crossing in both longan and litchi. Isozyme analysis using phosphoglucose isomerase revealed that hybrid progeny only developed when litchi was the maternal parent. Morphologically the hybrid plants were similar to the maternal parent but leaves were smaller. Three types of seeds developed in litchi following pollination with longan pollen. These were (1) normal seeds with a developed testa and embryo, (2) seeds with aborted embryos but normal testa development, and (3) seedless fruit where the ovule remained the same size as at anthesis without further development of embryo or testa. The potential germplasm available to improve these crops within the Sapindaceae is discussed."
Brad Spaugh

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2020, 08:21:09 PM »

And I am selling bridges, want to buy one?
- Rob

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2020, 09:50:20 PM »

Maybe its BS, I dont knowbut just 2 seconds of searching shows up some scientific publications

"Abstract
The breeding barriers between commercial litchi (Litchi chinensis Sonn.) and longan (Dimocarpus longan Lour.) cultivars were investigated by conducting reciprocal pollinations. This work has shown that it is possible to generate intergeneric hybrids using litchi as the female parent. Investigation of comparative in vivo pollen tube growth demonstrated that there is discrimination against cross- compared to self-pollen at all sites in the pistil. Pollen tubes were frequently observed in the ovary after cross-pollination in litchi but rarely in longan. Fruit production was reduced after crossing in both longan and litchi. Isozyme analysis using phosphoglucose isomerase revealed that hybrid progeny only developed when litchi was the maternal parent. Morphologically the hybrid plants were similar to the maternal parent but leaves were smaller. Three types of seeds developed in litchi following pollination with longan pollen. These were (1) normal seeds with a developed testa and embryo, (2) seeds with aborted embryos but normal testa development, and (3) seedless fruit where the ovule remained the same size as at anthesis without further development of embryo or testa. The potential germplasm available to improve these crops within the Sapindaceae is discussed."

Interesting brad and nice find....the two were crossed with litchi being mother parent and the hybrids had smaller leaves.....looking at that pic closer the leaves do look smaller....maybe it’s legit.

Joe

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2020, 03:24:36 PM »
They cross sheep and kangaroos here and get woolly jumpers.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2020, 04:16:15 PM »
MikeT this was worked on in NSW in 1988 to 1991 any worthwhile  coming out of this?
 Seems like a way to get poor lychee , maybe interspecific hybrid rootstock but with issues of incompatibility in lychee to lychee cultivars let alone interspecific hybrid doubtful.
 Bob Murray of The tree house nursery worked a long time on compatibility of lychee tree rootstocks.
         Question is why would you want longan in lychee?

Here is the link
 https://www.jstor.org/stable/42759068?seq=1

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2020, 06:06:14 PM »
The weight of evidence is that they do and always have hybridized with the lychee being the female. There doesn't seem to be too much around on fruit quality, productivity, plant vigour etc of the offspring. I imagine longan  growers would be more eager than lychee growers to have a cross.
My thought are that is a hybrid was alright and not just a novelty it would have been in circulation.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2020, 11:28:30 AM »
They cross sheep and kangaroos here and get woolly jumpers.

Mike how many of these do you have?  Do you use 5 or 6 wires on your fence? :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk