Author Topic: tasting my first psidium guineense  (Read 2017 times)

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
tasting my first psidium guineense
« on: March 30, 2016, 01:03:28 PM »
Hi, today I went to the greenhouse, touch the lonely fruit of psidium guineense (brazilian guava, choba, guayaba cimarrón, arazá de campo, etc.) on the little shrub and it fell.

I think this report will not be different from what other forum members wrote about this species, the taste is good, maybe too acid, I find it similar to lemon guava (psidium cattleianum, yellow) and to sete capotes or even psidium australe. It had a lot of small seeds that didnt bother me. The little shrub is into a small pot, should plant it if I want more, better and bigger fruits.

It has many cool features, as for instance it is early bearing, just 18 months from seed! It had not worms inside, maybe because it was far from the strawberry guava or just because it is into the greenhouse, or maybe because the fruit fly didnt liked it?

Do you know if the fruit fly eat them in other regions?

It seems to have many medicinal properties, as for instance, anti-caries activity
http://www.bvs.sld.cu/revistas/pla/vol10_3-4_05/pla083-405.pdf

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: tasting my first psidium guineense
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 10:01:36 PM »
Mine were fruit fly free Las year but had a couple of wrigglers in them this season. They shout go a bit more orangey yellow flavour changes a bit too as they ripen.