Author Topic: Smooth surinam cherry  (Read 2968 times)

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
Smooth surinam cherry
« on: March 06, 2016, 12:48:58 PM »
Noticed this morning... flower buds?  :o

I got this little plant from Adam a year ago. It grows really really slow. Seems like it didn't grow at all. The tag was lost but I believe it stated Smooth Surinam cherry (small fruits). Adam, could you confirm that? And, is it normal for this plant to fruit in that size? Was it a seedling or grafted? I know you may not remember but maybe you do.  ::)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Smooth surinam cherry
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 02:47:44 PM »
Noticed this morning... flower buds?  :o

I got this little plant from Adam a year ago. It grows really really slow. Seems like it didn't grow at all. The tag was lost but I believe it stated Smooth Surinam cherry (small fruits). Adam, could you confirm that? And, is it normal for this plant to fruit in that size? Was it a seedling or grafted? I know you may not remember but maybe you do.  ::)
to those who are waiting for me to answer their inquiries via email, sorry, it may take may a few weeks, but I will respond.

to some I'm sure it seems like a slap in the face, when I respond to posts on the forum, before answering all my emails...but that's the way it goes...I can only do so much...and now i must answer my friend's questions:

sorry i can't remember Galka, but it very well could be the smooth surinam...i had one that stayed so small for over 2yrs...less than 10 inch tall, it got stunted...i gave that tree away, but can't remember to who...maybe it was you?!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 02:49:48 PM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 03:28:05 PM »
It was me, Adam. I remember now. :D So, we'll call it super dwarf smooth surinam cherry.  ;D This tree is 5 inch tall.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 03:35:13 PM »
Galka,

looks can be deceiving, that seedling is over 3yr old (close to 4yr if I'm not mistaken)...I have some from the same batch that are about 4-5ft tall.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 12:59:50 AM »
Galka,

looks can be deceiving, that seedling is over 3yr old (close to 4yr if I'm not mistaken)...I have some from the same batch that are about 4-5ft tall.
Did they fruit? Can you post the picture? If you don't have time, it's OK.  Maybe later. 

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 01:29:29 AM »
Jealous! My red surinam and black surinam cherries are easily twice or maybe three times that size, and no flowers yet... :(

I have never had the opportunity to taste them to know if I even like them! I have heard a lot of bad things that make me apprehensive, but I am still optimistic that I will get good ones - particularly for the black variety! All one can do is hope!

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 06:11:31 PM »
LP - my red surinam's surely do taste different but I really LOVE them now.  They don't do too well in our intense heat -
I should probably plant one in some part shade to see if the production improves....

Gary

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 09:35:04 PM »
LP - my red surinam's surely do taste different but I really LOVE them now.  They don't do too well in our intense heat -
I should probably plant one in some part shade to see if the production improves....

Gary

They like plenty of water, too.
- Rob

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 10:17:58 PM »
Jealous! My red surinam and black surinam cherries are easily twice or maybe three times that size, and no flowers yet... :(

I have never had the opportunity to taste them to know if I even like them! I have heard a lot of bad things that make me apprehensive, but I am still optimistic that I will get good ones - particularly for the black variety! All one can do is hope!

all red very ripe ones that I tasted were so good! u just should wait them to fall to the ground
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 10:27:24 PM »
mmmm.....good tip bsb......and with our drought and water restrictions
that could be tough to accomplish........

Gary

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 09:51:51 AM »
to some I'm sure it seems like a slap in the face, when I respond to posts on the forum, before answering all my emails...but that's the way it goes...I can only do so much...and now i must answer my friend's questions:

sorry i can't remember Galka, but it very well could be the smooth surinam...i had one that stayed so small for over 2yrs...less than 10 inch tall, it got stunted...i gave that tree away, but can't remember to who...maybe it was you?!

Just a thought. I'm active in quite a few gardening forums and when someone posts a question in a private message venue I kindly ask them to post it publicly for everyone's benefit.  I bet I've answered the same questions a million times.  After a while ya get tired of folks not bothering to lurk before posting and not using the SEARCH option.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 03:29:08 AM »
Looks very much like a E. pitanga to me; stunned vertical growth, no glossy upper surface of the leaves, flowering while small.
Sřren
Kampala, Uganda

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk