Author Topic: Guava ID  (Read 1877 times)

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
Guava ID
« on: June 15, 2016, 11:22:32 AM »
I found these guava fruits at Walmart. The pink color has caught my eye and I picked some. The taste is very nice creamy and sweet. They don't have that strong guava fragrance. Can somebody ID these guavas?

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
Re: Guava ID
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 05:09:29 PM »
Mexican Cream Guava?
Here's a matching description from a site called "Four Winds Growers":
Upright tree, originating from Mexico.  Small to medium-small, roundish fruits. Skin light yellow, slightly blushed with red.  Flesh creamy white, very sweet, fine-textured and excellent for dessert.  Seed cavity small with relatively soft seeds.
I've gotten Mex. cream guava at my local grocery store in winter, but they don't have the red blush like yours. How big are they? Like a couple of inches or less?
Anisha

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 07:29:50 PM »
Lowes down here occasionally has guava marked on the fancy hang tag "MEXICAN CREAM" but the small label on the stem says "MEXICAN GUAVA"

I bought several and th3 fruit was not sweet, and the seeds were like stones.

Recently an employee there said that the hang tag is useless but the stem tag is always accurate.

So... I am still looking for a Mexican Cream :'(

Regards,

Gary

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 11:47:27 PM »
Lowes down here occasionally has guava marked on the fancy hang tag "MEXICAN CREAM" but the small label on the stem says "MEXICAN GUAVA"

Recently an employee there said that the hang tag is useless but the stem tag is always accurate.

Well, gee, thats reassuring.   An employee knows there is a name/tag issue and they do nothing to fix/prevent it.
- Rob

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 12:17:05 AM »

Well, gee, thats reassuring.   An employee knows there is a name/tag issue and they do nothing to fix/prevent it.

I was wondering wherr you were Rob.

I doubt an employee in any big box store could do anything, I went to management about it and they just said they would look into it... over a year ago. No interest.

Regards,

Gary

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 02:35:29 AM »
Mexican Cream Guava?
Here's a matching description from a site called "Four Winds Growers":
Upright tree, originating from Mexico.  Small to medium-small, roundish fruits. Skin light yellow, slightly blushed with red.  Flesh creamy white, very sweet, fine-textured and excellent for dessert.  Seed cavity small with relatively soft seeds.
I've gotten Mex. cream guava at my local grocery store in winter, but they don't have the red blush like yours. How big are they? Like a couple of inches or less?
Thanks for the description of Mexican Cream guava, sounds like it. It was the first I thought but wasn't sure about the red blush. I have bought similar guavas before and they were just yellow and the taste was so so. These are sweet. The size is about 2 inches.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 02:46:53 AM »

I bought several and th3 fruit was not sweet, and the seeds were like stones.

So... I am still looking for a Mexican Cream :'(
I got my Mexican Cream guava tree at our Lowe's. The hang tag and the one on the stem were the same, so I hope it is Mexican Cream. The tree is holding a few little fruits, so I will be able to report what it actually is soon.

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 06:20:39 AM »
Maybe you will get lucky and it will be what the tags claim.

I bought 7 and 6 were definitely NOT MC, I hold no hope for the one I have left because the d3veloping fruits are oblong in shape like a papaya.
Regards,

Gary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk