Author Topic: Mexican Cream Guavas?  (Read 7986 times)

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
Mexican Cream Guavas?
« on: February 01, 2017, 03:32:10 PM »
I got these Guava trees from Walmart and Lowe's. The tugs say "Mexican Cream" but all three trees look different. Any ideas what they really are? Looks like they're air layered not seedlings.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Mexican Cream Guavas?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 09:14:18 PM »
I bought 6 trees from Lowes last year also. I made a small hedge next to the car port. They were in one gallon pots but grew fast to over 6 foot in one summer. They had a few fruit and it turned out they were very large green guava with dark pink insides with very large seeds. Definitely not Mexican cream guava. I dug them up and took them back. The "head of the plant department" told me that it was because it was there first year that next year the fruit would have the characteristics of Mexican cream guava? I said NO THANKS and she said throw them away after they gave me my money back. I got them in one gallons and they were over 6' foot tall when I returned them in 5 gallon pots???
I saw them for sale at Wal Mart recently labelled Mexican Cream Guava so I bought one this time and will wait to see the fruit before I plant it in the ground. So far this plant is growing real well and I bumped it up to a 7 gal pot. I paid under 8 dollars for it you can't beat the price
Also last year the small one gallon plants had flowers so I suspected they were grown from cuttings but I agree they were not seedlings.
Mike
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 02:58:49 PM by achetadomestica »

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 11:46:00 AM »
2 yrs ago i got 2 from Home Despot
an Asian white, and a red
both were tagged properly.
the white is VERY good tasting fruit.

Last summer i got 2 labeled Mexican cream
$2 each. cant beat that price !

havent seen fruit yet, but i put one in a 3gal container
left the other in the 1gal
when the freeze came, it defoliated the one in the 1gal.

i have noticed guava change leaf color
often due to temps.
i think this is because the temps change the PH
and the  plants ability to take up phosphorus ? (or iron?)
something like that... LOL

when they get different amounts of fertilizer, moisture, sun etc...
they can have a different appearance too...

Anyway, its possible they are all Mex creams IMHO.
maybe you get lucky and 1 is a white like i have.
its better tasting than any Mex cream ive eaten.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 01:36:05 AM »
I tried over a half dozen "Mexican Cream" from Lowes and all were different, none what the label said the were. I left one in the ground which is a large green guava, not bad tasting but not worthy of leaving in. I'll pull it after its next crop to see if it gets any better tasting fruit.

Regards,

Gary

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 10:53:08 AM »
Thanks, guys. achetadomestica Wow. So, you didn't like the taste and returned the trees? Were all of them the same large green with pink insides?
greenman62 This three guavas are exposed to the same temps and still look all different in leaf color and shape. The #1 has green long pointy leaves, #2 and 3 have purple (ish) leaves and veins and stems, #2 is darker. A year ago I got 2 trees from Lowes which looked similar and one had fruits pear shaped yellow when ripe and lite pink inside with a few seeds. Tasted good but not a Mexican Cream. So, I can say I got lucky with this one having at least good fruits.
gnappi So far I got 5 trees labeled MC only one fruited and is not what the label said. We will see this year with the other ones.

musebox

• Texas, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 11:03:39 AM »
Wow, I'm so jealous! I don't even have the luxury of being able to buy the wrong guava tree, lol. If you decide to get rid of any, I'm happy to take them off your hands! Good luck! Hopefully, you have a true Mexican cream in one of them.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 12:08:35 PM »
Wow, I'm so jealous! I don't even have the luxury of being able to buy the wrong guava tree, lol. If you decide to get rid of any, I'm happy to take them off your hands! Good luck! Hopefully, you have a true Mexican cream in one of them.
Thanks, musebox, I'll keep it in mind.  :)

dxgn

• Singapore
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 12:16:23 PM »
Something slightly off topic. Can you tell from the pic that it is a Mexican cream or something else. This tree is actually from a seed of a fruit I bought from a Hong Kong fruit market many tears ago. Apparently, they are from China farms and could command a higher price than the Thai or Malaysian sold there. The taste? Soft white flesh, enough to chew like an Apple, eaten to the core and thrown away. Highly fragrant with a tinge of light pink around the base. Quite attractive.  Fruit never seems to cross  more than 2 inches  ever. Anyone growing this fruit?

Cheers
Jet

« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 12:22:30 PM by dxgn »

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 06:10:26 PM »
certainly doesnt look like any Mex cream ive had.

actually, i dont think ive ever seen a guava with pink skin ?

the inside looks nice, but hard to tell from a pic.
Mex cream is soft, but not gritty
creamy, but not mushy.

I am hoping the white i got has fruit just as good this year.
i was floored at how much i liked it.
i woke up  in the AM thinking about it,
going outside as soon as i could, to see if there were any ripe fruit.
damn good tasting fruit.

i want a red now, that fruits at a slightly different time
that tastes as good... LOL

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 10:07:35 AM »
Thanks, guys. achetadomestica Wow. So, you didn't like the taste and returned the trees? Were all of them the same large green with pink insides?
greenman62 This three guavas are exposed to the same temps and still look all different in leaf color and shape. The #1 has green long pointy leaves, #2 and 3 have purple (ish) leaves and veins and stems, #2 is darker. A year ago I got 2 trees from Lowes which looked similar and one had fruits pear shaped yellow when ripe and lite pink inside with a few seeds. Tasted good but not a Mexican Cream. So, I can say I got lucky with this one having at least good fruits.
gnappi So far I got 5 trees labeled MC only one fruited and is not what the label said. We will see this year with the other ones.

ive tried to use leaf analysis (number of veins, shape/round -or pointed... etc...)
and have not been able to ID different types (races/varieties) of guava (Psidium guajava)
leaf shape , coloration etc... can all change depending on temps etc... as i mentioned.
those things can change even on the same tree over time.
small differences in the amount of fertilizer, PH, or a few extra drops of water...

sometimes the shape of the fruit can give you a hint
sometimes not
my white has produced "hand grenade" shaped fruit, but also round ones.
you have to wait for the fruit color and size to tell

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 12:53:01 PM »
I'll wait and see. Your white guava sounds like my white 'Mexican' one.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2017, 12:54:39 PM »
dxgn Nice looking fruit.

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2017, 10:50:09 PM »
 :o
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 06:41:09 PM by Pan Dulce »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2021, 01:47:42 PM »
Galka, just a follow up on your plants. Did you ever get one of the Mexican Cream guava from the plants you purchased?