Author Topic: Yuzu seedling growing in Washington state  (Read 3632 times)

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Yuzu seedling growing in Washington state
« on: March 11, 2021, 05:17:10 PM »
Yuzu seedling in Olympia, WA, in Yashiro Japanese garden.

The seedling is growing on its own roots, and is not covered during winter. The plant is a little over two and a half feet high. Still has its leaves, which don't look too bad.

The city is in climate zone 8a but the garden is in the downtown area, so it might get a little less cold.

picture taken March 11, 2021
47 degrees latitude north

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
Re: Yuzu seedling growing in Washington state
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 07:27:22 PM »

lol!

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 08:25:11 PM »

lol!
And what do you find so funny?

You do realize that it's more challenging growing hardy citrus in the Pacific Northwest climate zone 8a than it is in the Southeast zone 8a?
This is the farthest north I am aware of Yuzu growing outside in the ground, uncovered, in North America.
With the possible exception of Vancouver island, but that's a really unique location there because of being surrounded by water, and even then they have to resort to certain special strategies.
The winters in Olympia typically get just a little colder than they do in Seattle or Vancouver, BC.

All the more notable because this is surviving growing on its own roots, not grafted to trifoliata.

swincher

• Western WA (zone 8b, zone 10a greenhouse)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 11:43:30 PM »

lol!
And what do you find so funny?

You do realize that it's more challenging growing hardy citrus in the Pacific Northwest climate zone 8a than it is in the Southeast zone 8a?
This is the farthest north I am aware of Yuzu growing outside in the ground, uncovered, in North America.
With the possible exception of Vancouver island, but that's a really unique location there because of being surrounded by water, and even then they have to resort to certain special strategies.
The winters in Olympia typically get just a little colder than they do in Seattle or Vancouver, BC.

All the more notable because this is surviving growing on its own roots, not grafted to trifoliata.

Definitely impressive! I know a few people with yuzu on trifoliate here in Seattle, but always in sheltered locations against houses. Not aware of any on own roots.

Balance

• Everett, WA, Zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 12:51:59 AM »
Impressive! Gives me hope for mine, I have recently sprouted nearly half a dozen yuzu seeds from a member of the forums and have them growing in my greenhouse. As mine get larger, I plan to plant them in ground with little to no protection, depending on how severe the winter is supposed to be. Hoping for some homegrown citrus in the coming years! :)

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 05:58:55 PM »
I would graft an yuzu on a yuzu seedling rather than PT in zone 8a. Yuzu is a good rootstock used in the past in Japan. The difference would be with dormancy period and tap root as advantage. If the soil is free of nematodes and root rot pathogens then it should be no problems.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 07:26:57 PM »
I planted a small Yuzu and a Changsha in the ground as an experiment to see how they would do. Both of them are only 4 inches tall, growing on their own roots. The Yuzu is a seedling and the Changsha was a rooted cutting, and so is much thicker than the Yuzu. They are right next to each other. They are in a protected location, but were not protected or covered. I can provide an update now, it appears both of them were able to survive through the winter outside.
The Yuzu lost all its leaves, and the leaves on the Changsha do not look so good, only marginally alive, it looks like maybe only one of the leaves might be able to recover. Both of them are now beginning to put out a small flush of new leaf bud growth. They both look like they are growing with about the same amount of vigor now.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 07:33:30 PM by SoCal2warm »

orangedays

• East Coast, Zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 09:13:32 AM »
soCal2warm - Thanks for the note on the yuzu vs changsha.  I bought two rooted yuzu this spring and was wondering if they are more cold hardy than changsha, I want to plant them out doors this summer. It sounds like yuzu and changsha are close in hardiness. I planted about 20 changsha seedlings, 18 inches tall, in an very exposed area this winter. The majority suffered considerable leaf damage and top die-back of about 6 -10 inches but are sprouting out vigorously now.  Our lowest lows were floating around 20 F this winter but they can go down to 5 F on rare occasions. I also kept 3 potted changsha tree with 3/4 inch trunks in the shade of large trees. The potted changsha showed no damage at all and bloomed this spring. Also the changsha seedlings closest to the wood line had very little cold damage.  Based on your results, it sound like I should protect the yuzu until they are a little bigger and maybe plant them close to large trees. Its good to know yuzu is growing outside in Seattle.  I have friends near by who want to grow yuzu but think its a dead end due to long cold spells common to the area.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 07:51:53 PM »
Thanks for the note on the yuzu vs changsha. It sounds like yuzu and changsha are close in hardiness.
Yuzu is more hardy than Changsha. These are not my only Yuzu and Changsha plants. I can see it in the color of the leaves, the exposure to cold does not cause the Yuzu leaves to turn as yellowish in hue as the Changsha, which I have found is usually is a good indicator of hardiness. (Although strangely the leaves of both of my two Ichang papeda plants turn very pale and yellowish, so maybe this is not always the case)

It seems like Yuzu is not all that much more hardy than Changsha though, although I cannot say for sure based on personal experiences.

This is purely anecdotal and could be wrong but I get the feeling that Yuzu can start growing vigorously at a little bit of a lower temperature level than Changsha, although both are vigorous growing varieties. Changsha loves hot temperatures though and might take off faster than Yuzu in climates with hotter temperatures.

They both seem to recover from damage well, which may not be the case with all cold hardy varieties.

I've tasted the fruits from both, freshly picked from the tree, and while the peels of Yuzu are tender and kind of edible, the peels of Changsha are definitely not. Most people will tell you the inside of a Changsha is better eating quality than the inside of a Yuzu though. Might only be a little bit better, it is a little subjective.

Its good to know yuzu is growing outside in Seattle.
I don't know how well Yuzu would grow in Seattle. Where I am has very slightly colder average winter temperatures than Seattle, but also gets a little hotter in the summer. The plants really need that heat, due to the cool climate and shorter growing season here.

As you go only a little bit north of Seattle, there are many areas that get very little heat most of the year.

That can be difficult to imagine for people who live in the South. There are some big climate differences despite the fact that we both may live in zone 8a.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 08:33:38 PM by SoCal2warm »

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2021, 09:11:39 PM »
Here's the Yuzu seedling as of June 29, 2021

The trunk looks like it's gaining some thickness. Now maybe just a little bit thicker than pencil-thickness.

The coloration of the leaves look just okay, not really good and healthy but not too bad either. The older leaves have regained most of their green color back since the winter.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2021, 04:26:22 PM »
Here's a picture that was taken on September 1, 2021

The Yuzu is getting bigger and growing fast. At the time of this picture it was putting out a new flush of leaf growth.
The trunk seems to be noticeably thickening as well.

I would estimate the plant must be about 3 feet tall right now. (I think plants grow faster when they are growing on their own roots)

nullroar

• 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2021, 02:46:35 PM »
My Yuzu survived last winter in the ground in rural north Alabama (7b)

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2021, 06:26:38 PM »
Picture taken October 7, 2021

The crushed up leaves smell very pleasantly spicily fragrant, more mild and less harsh than the smell of normal citrus leaves.
I mean I could almost imagine the leaves being used as a perfume ingredient.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 06:31:56 PM by SoCal2warm »

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2021, 09:08:34 PM »
Here's a picture that was taken December 17, 2021
Keep in mind that the plant had not experienced freezing temperatures yet so far in the season at the time of this picture, which explains why the leaves look so good.

You can see that it's looking pretty healthy and has put on some size.

sumacgrove

• Vancouver Island 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2022, 10:57:35 AM »
Fantastic stuff guys, I managed to grow a yuzu seedling and it should do fine in my 8a-8b corner of Vancouver Island... Probably under some sort of shelter.

I grew low hundreds of assorted citrus seedlings, mostly from the mandarin/ meyer lemon family, from the grocery store (not one seed was wasted) and all but the rarest (which are inside a cold garage) are outdoors in an unheated greenhouse or against the side of the house. I have a few store-bought grafted citrus trees.

So far only light to moderate damage even though it recently dipped as cold as -10C to -5 for a week but based on my experience from past years it cuts close or too late by the end of the last coldest month (March) for all but the bigger trees that are outdoors however I have plenty of surplus this year to find out which one can handle the most punishment.

maesy

• Lucerne, Switzerland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2022, 12:08:44 PM »
Hi,
here is my Yuzu one month ago with the last fruits still hanging on the tree. Also at 47 degrees latitude north, but in Europe/Switzerland.  ;D

Since last summer I have a small seedling planted out as well at the back of my yard in a similar age as yours that I leave unprotected on its own. This tree on the pictures is maybe 7-8 feet tall and grafted on poncirus, and planted out on the very protected southern side of my house. My experience is that anything colder than -8 degrees celsius can damage the tree. Starting with leaf damage and if the freeze is lasting longer than a day and maybe going down to -10 or -12 you have to expect damage on the bark if unprotected.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2022, 02:21:28 AM »
Thank you, maesy, for those very interesting pictures from Switzerland.

I can provide an update now, January 13, 2021

Most of the Yuzu leaves look half-fried. I can tell the leaves definitely suffered some freeze damage. It looks bad, but the leaves are still sort of alive, I think. There are a small number of leaves on the tree that do not look too bad though, a few whole leaves, and some winged-petiole segments of the leaves that do not look damaged.
So I guess this is what 18 °F temperatures does to an uncovered Yuzu.

The snow quickly melted away with some heavy rains. All the snow is melted now, and the temperatures have gotten "warmer" now, better weather. (high of 54 °F today, nighttime low of 41 °F) It is very possible another snowstorm might come along though.

citrange

• UK - 15 miles west of London
    • View Profile
    • Home Citrus growers
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2022, 07:41:10 AM »
I think I can beat you all with my Yuzu growing outside at 51.6 degrees N. That's a bit further north than Vancouver, Canada! We do however have the Gulf Stream to thank for our relatively warm winters. Usual minimum temperature around -6C to -10C.
My Yuzu is about six years old, planted outside three years ago, and currently carrying its first small fruit.
In the photos the thick branch behind is a Poncirus trifoliata and the orange fruits are a nearby Benton citrange.

Mike/Citrange

« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 07:46:14 AM by citrange »

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2022, 05:08:40 AM »
I think I can beat you all with my Yuzu growing outside at 51.6 degrees N. That's a bit further north than Vancouver, Canada! We do however have the Gulf Stream to thank for our relatively warm winters.
I remember I did an analysis calculation a while back, comparing ocean temperatures in different spots, and what my take away conclusion was is that the Gulf Stream is only responsible for heating Britain by about a little less than 2 degrees Celsius. It is a significant effect, but it is not the main cause.
The main cause is that there is so much water.

In the west part of Washington state, there is also lots of water, and it is normally a mild climate, but occasionally freezing air can flow from the interior of Canada. So while it is mostly a "maritime" climate, there is also a small element of it being a "continental" climate. (It is not common, but occasionally during the summer the winds will flow from the east, bringing hot dry air.)
In Europe this does not happen. Britain is surrounded by sea on all sides, and Northern Europe has the Baltic Sea to its north. Even Sweden has the Gulf of Bothnia to its east, the Norwegian Sea to its northwest, and the Barents sea is not too distant from its northeast, which probably also helps a little bit.

In the west part of Washington state, the water in the Puget sound helps moderate temperatures if you live right next to it, but the body of water is not big enough to do much to resist cold air from flowing over it.

citrange

• UK - 15 miles west of London
    • View Profile
    • Home Citrus growers
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2022, 09:31:28 AM »
Interesting climate discussion - even if a little off-topic.
I'm sure much of what you say is correct but nonetheless Britain does very occassionally suffer what we call 'The Beast from the East'. This is when there is a prolonged period of easterly winds in winter originating in Siberia and blowing over northern Europe via Moscow and Berlin. It is usually associated with a strong Scandinavian high pressure system. Passage over water is limited to the English Channel which is only 20 miles across at its narrowest and then provides limited warming of a cold continental air mass.
You talk about Sweden. Remember that the Northern part of the Gulf of Bothnia usually freezes along with the Gulf of Finland and very rarely the whole of the Baltic. This is in part due to the very low salinity - in places the Baltic is nearly a fresh-water lake. In these conditions easterly winds reaching Sweden are isolated from any warming water. I doubt there are any outdoor Yuzus in Sweden!
Here is a photo of the English North Sea fishing port of Whitby Harbour frozen in 2010.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2022, 05:50:40 PM »
Another update, February 17, 2022

This is a time when not much is happening in the climate where most northern growers live, but the PNW is kind of a strange climate. Due to the very "mild" (but still cold) winters, all sorts of certain species of plants can be blooming surprisingly late into the early part of winter, or early in the late part of winter (just not during the very coldest part of the winter, which might only last 2 or 3 weeks).

In this picture you can see the Yuzu plant with a Daphne bush right next to it beginning to bloom. (I also saw a large red camellia bush in the neighborhood just beginning to bloom today). On some parts of the plant the leaves are completely fried, other parts nearly completely so, yet on other parts of the plant the leaves seem only moderately damaged. You can still see some leaves on the plant that look green and relatively healthy.

It seems inexplicable, but it does seem noticeable that the longest offshoot of the plant growing the furthest away got almost no leaf burn, when one might expect this to be the branch that would get the most leaf burn, since it is so exposed and furthest away from the canopy of the plant. Two factors may be at play here. First this branch is directly above a stone which may have stored heat, and second, even though it is on the north side it is on the side of the plant that would be less exposed to wind.
The stems of the plant are not damaged at all and still appear very green.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 05:57:00 PM by SoCal2warm »