Author Topic: Best Tasting Mangos of 2015?  (Read 33885 times)

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Best Tasting Mangos of 2015?
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2015, 01:09:21 PM »
The four individual most toe-curling mangos I ate this year were a Dot, Edgar, Fruit Punch, and Zinc.

They were at their peak and nearly brought tears to my eyes.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2015, 01:13:33 PM »
Went through my top 10 and its similar to Brett's:

1. J-12 : Best mango I had this season. Each one I sampled was excellent but one in particular stood out above any mango I ate this year.
2. Sweet Tart: Still my favorite mango and quickly becoming one of the most popular among customers
3. Pettigrew: An oldie cracks the top 5! This mango was superb this year (and as far back as I can remember) Terrific balance of sweetness and coconut undertones
4. Lemon Zest: My most requested mango, and it definitely belongs in the top 5.
5. Angie: Mine were consistently excellent and well received.
6. E-4: A 'better' Coconut Cream
7. Pineapple Pleasure: This one (along with Dot) will make you sick if you eat too much of it.
8. Dot: Another oldie well worth being in the top 5      Just wish the shelf life was a little longer.
9. Venus: Just an excellent fruit
10. K-3: I didn't have many of these this year but they were pretty awesome.

A nicely ripened Dot will store in the fridge for quite a while. The skin will start to look icky, but it will still taste good.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2015, 01:47:43 PM »
Anyone have more info on the Kathy? It's sounding like a type that I would like.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 01:50:37 PM by Jsvand5 »

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2015, 01:56:41 PM »
Here's my review of Kathy (K-3) - I only got to taste a couple slices but I liked it!

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=6398.msg208559#msg208559

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2015, 03:50:53 PM »
So is the torch bring passed to ST for GOAT?

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2015, 04:38:24 PM »

Maybe for some. Not in the same league as LZ and Coconut cream for me though.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2015, 05:41:18 PM »

10. Edgar - what is not to love about this mango?
9. Coconut Cream - inconsistent this year but the good ones were great
8. Maha Chanok - the connoisseur's choice
7. Seacrest - world class
6. Pineapple Pleasure - big package with big sweetness inside
5. Val Carrie - cola soda anyone?
4. Orange Sherbert - ridiculously good tasting mango
3. PPK - candy in disguise as a mango
2. Sweet Tart - insanely dense, sweet, flava
1. Lemon Zest - still the GOAT

Honourable mention: Piņa Colada, Gary, Taralay, K-3, Karen Michelle, Dupuis Saigon, Guava

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=15518.125

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2015, 05:47:17 PM »

To me it is better than LZ...and while not everyone has had the oppurtunity to taste it yet, don't look back cause here comes Cotton Candy.
- Rob

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2015, 07:10:28 PM »
Sadly I did not have the opportunity to sample any of these "new" varieties.  but have put a couple on my "to-get" list.   

Edgar - seems to make it somewhere on peoples list that have tried it,  and because of its potential as a commercial variety its one that I want to take for a spin.

Sweet Tart - Simply because it seems to have really impressed even some of the mango "snobs" in the forum. also the larger size and description of its intense flavor
                    makes this one a must have.

I am sure sometime down the line, the next generation of releases mentioned ( Cotton candy ) etc.  may end up someday in my collection.   since I rarely have the opportunity to try before I buy, a truly rely on the opinions of you fine folks in the forum. 
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2015, 09:43:39 PM »

To me it is better than LZ...and while not everyone has had the oppurtunity to taste it yet, don't look back cause here comes Cotton Candy.

Cotton Candy was pretty good. Name sucks, but the mango was one of the best I've had this year.

bulldawg305

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2015, 10:05:15 PM »
New Mango's tried this year that stood out:

Juicy Peach - Probably the juiciest mango I have ever tried. Has a citrus taste that is not overwhelming and refreshing.
Andrea - awesome Jakarta/sunrise-like taste that is not overpowering + rich, sweet taste.
K-3 & Venus - To me they have a similar ZINC taste to it but so far I have enjoyed K-3 more.
J-12 - Very, very fragrant.
Orange Sherbet - Finally had a perfectly ripe one and it lives up to the hype.
Ugly Betty - First few had a bad taste but did have one that was excellent.
Peach cobbler - awesome little mango
Cotton Candy - tried one, does have a delicate, sweet after-taste

Damn, Zill is making me crazy with all these new trees they are releasing. I am running out of room and the wife thinks I am mad for cutting down the Glenn.

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2015, 02:51:24 AM »
1. Carrie - Have not found a better mango yet!
2. Edward - I know why they still sell this mango even if it is a moderately shy bearer. The Edwards I had this year were outstanding!
3. Bombay - Huge delicious tangy/sweet mango, very tasty.
4. LZ - I know it is supposed to be the GOAT, but the flavor was a little bit of a letdown this year IMO.
5. NDM4 - Its been raining like crazy for the last month(probably about 8 inches) and only had 2 or 3 small fruit split out of forty. Maybe I'm just very Blessed? I do have some non-permeable material around the base of the tree...

E.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2015, 07:55:17 AM »

Could you please define "huge?"
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2015, 08:09:51 AM »

Carrie came in first this year before Glenn. I ate lots of Carries and people who come for mangoes love them too. During the Carrie season I was thinking  that If Caries had a five month season I would be happy eating just them.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2015, 08:13:53 AM »

Carrie came in first this year before Glenn. I ate lots of Carries and people who come for mangoes love them too. During the Carrie season I was thinking  that If Caries had a five month season I would be happy eating just them.

If Carrie had a 5 month season and was subject to eating just them, I would be finding another fruit to eat.  Just saying. ..
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2015, 08:14:48 AM »

You beat me to it and took the words right out of my mouth.
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2015, 02:47:40 PM »
New Mango's tried this year that stood out:

Juicy Peach - Probably the juiciest mango I have ever tried. Has a citrus taste that is not overwhelming and refreshing.
Andrea - awesome Jakarta/sunrise-like taste that is not overpowering + rich, sweet taste.
K-3 & Venus - To me they have a similar ZINC taste to it but so far I have enjoyed K-3 more.
J-12 - Very, very fragrant.
Orange Sherbet - Finally had a perfectly ripe one and it lives up to the hype.
Ugly Betty - First few had a bad taste but did have one that was excellent.
Peach cobbler - awesome little mango
Cotton Candy - tried one, does have a delicate, sweet after-taste

Damn, Zill is making me crazy with all these new trees they are releasing. I am running out of room and the wife thinks I am mad for cutting down the Glenn.

;D lol.  we could do a whole thread under this title. 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2015, 06:43:12 PM »

Edgar - seems to make it somewhere on peoples list that have tried it,  and because of its potential as a commercial variety its one that I want to take for a spin.

Sweet Tart - Simply because it seems to have really impressed even some of the mango "snobs" in the forum. also the larger size and description of its intense flavor

Tropicdude,

Sweet Tart is a small mango, not large. But HUGE taste.

Edgar has is very sweet, very smooth tasting, succulent flesh, creamy, 'tropical and a touch of resin. I think it has a balanced flavor profile that would be well liked by many... Disliked by few. . If I were growing mangos to sell I would want to trial it.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2015, 10:52:07 PM »

Tropicdude,

Sweet Tart is a small mango, not large. But HUGE taste.

Edgar has is very sweet, very smooth tasting, succulent flesh, creamy, 'tropical and a touch of resin. I think it has a balanced flavor profile that would be well liked by many... Disliked by few. . If I were growing mangos to sell I would want to trial it.

Sweet tart would be for personal evaluation and consumption,  The Edgar for both personal consumption and to evaluate its commercial potential .  need to see how it will handle  our soils, climate here .  would be great if it flowered consistently without having to spray potassium nitrate like they do with Kiett.

One reviewer I believe had the Edgar on a scale , fruit weight was around 350g plus or something like that,  that,s an acceptable size.   

what is the size of the Sweet Tart? .

I think I got confused with the Fruit Punch which is the large one correct ?   
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 02:48:46 AM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2015, 12:46:04 AM »
yes, FP is a large mango....sweet tart not so much.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Brev Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2015, 04:31:54 AM »

You beat me to it and took the words right out of my mouth.

Ok, so I did not weigh the mangos that came from my tree... But larger than your average haden or kent and smaller than the larger Keitt mangos. If I had to guess, they were close to two pounds. There was enough flesh that I had trouble eating the entire mango in one sitting. And I like eating at least one or two "average" size mangos per day. One reason I think they may have been larger than usual is I had a lot of fruit drop when only golf ball size. I had some natural thinning of fruit. My 10' tall by 10' wide tree gave me only ten mangos of about 30 or so that set. Hence, bigger, tastier fruit. I was surprised at how good the flavor was, and the large size(with huge, fat shoulders and a very sunken stem) It was great! IMHO.

E.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2015, 05:20:27 AM »
From that size you are not describing a Bombay.  Bombay are basically under a pound in weight while the average Kent and Haden are above a pound, with most Kents being at or in excess of 1.5 pounds.
- Rob

Brev Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2015, 06:14:43 AM »
Hey Rob,

Like I said, maybe they were bigger due to fruit thinning. Or, come to  think of it, I also have a compost pile sitting nearby the tree so maybe it is getting some extra valuable nutrients:) I don't know... But, I have had hundreds of hadens and kents and my "Bombay" mangoes were larger than those in general. I actually have one of the smallest ones(Bombay) left in my refrigerator. I will try to get a weight for you. I would guess a pound and a half or more. I may even take a pic and post, if I can figure out how. It was tagged as Bombay, had Zill writing on side of pot "Bmby", I believe. I'm not saying that it could not possibly be another variety, but from what I've read seems to point to Bombay. I also tried to cut around the equator with one and separate and it almost worked... Almost no fibers from the seed holding the flesh. I can see how you could twist it apart. Just my experience with this mango.

E.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2015, 07:39:15 AM »
Anything is possible but what you are describing just sounds odd, especially with more than just 1 fruit.  Compost should not have any effect on this.  A picture would tell the story.  Its very easy to post a picture.
- Rob

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2015, 11:39:01 AM »
Every Bombay I've had has been closer to .5-.75 lbs. they have some Indian resin taste and are fairly sweet. The embryo is amazingly difficult to remove from the seed husk.

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk