Author Topic: Tall Skinny Tree Seedling Pots Where to Buy Them?  (Read 1529 times)

Odenwald

• West central Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Tall Skinny Tree Seedling Pots Where to Buy Them?
« on: May 05, 2020, 12:30:37 PM »
Can anyone advise the correct name for the tall skinny plant pots that you would use say for a jackfruit seedling?  You know maybe 15" high and 4" across.  I'm having trouble looking up any for sale.  I'm probably putting in the wrong description.  Thanks.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
Re: Tall Skinny Tree Seedling Pots Where to Buy Them?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 12:41:28 PM »
Stuewe or some spelling close to that.

Odenwald

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 12:52:32 PM »
Excellent now to find an appropriate size.  Cheers.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 01:12:00 PM »
I haven't shopped around to see if anyone has a better price but they sell them here:

https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/containers-trays/plant-pots/treepots?returnurl=%2fcontainers-trays%2fplant-pots%2f
Brandon

Odenwald

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 02:06:29 PM »
I'll have to decide how many I want and what size.  Now I'm like a kid in a candy store.  This morning I couldn't find any then with your advice I have too many options.  lol.  I think I'm going direct to https://www.stuewe.com/

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 03:11:34 PM »
I've ordered from Greenhouse Megastore & directly from Stuewe. Stuewe obviously has great prices on their products but steep shipping charges, GM is definitely cheaper if you are only buying a few items (their limited selection is the problem). Stuewe turns quotes around pretty quick (they are old school, you have to email them the order and they'll email you back the shipping quote). Do your homework between the two, if cost is a big concern.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 03:43:16 PM »
I DIY these pots that are also root pruning and 5 times bigger than those comercial tall seedling pots.

Odenwald

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 07:20:11 PM »
My Romanian friend, what did you make them out of?

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 09:07:27 PM »
My Romanian friend, what did you make them out of?
From dimpled insulation membrane( is verry common here and cheap). I cut them to size,put them one on top of the otther( they fit nicely) then i drilled holes in each dimple except 4 from the top because i didnt wanted the water to flow through the top holes easy when i watered them.
Then i assembled them with pop rivvets and a bushing to hold on the smaller side of the rivet.
I liked the pots but i quit them because all my pecan collection died.In winter here they dryed too much ( too much aerated type of pots)and i couldnt water because the water would freeze on top before getting into the soil much.

The material its not UV resistant much and will craxk if you keep them in the Sun but you would like to keep such pots with holes on the sides in the shadow anyway,because weeds will grow from each hole of the pot ottherwise.

Odenwald

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 11:47:41 AM »
You've been helpful highlighting the pitfalls.  UV, heat and watering requirements are major concerns.

HibachiDrama

• Jacksonville
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 11:09:53 AM »
Sorry to thread-jack, but I've started a bunch of seedlings in smaller tree-pot trays (6-8" deep), and it seems like they aren't really building dense root structures. There will be a tap root but if I try to pull the plant out of the root pot the soil will all crumble away and I'll be left with a bare root. Do I need to fertilize differently, or water from the bottom in a tray, or water more frequently from above with less water? I had considered that the soil mixture may be too dense, so I made sure to prehydrate the peat moss etc before preparing trays.

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 11:40:21 AM »
Just for information. In our country, many people use black plastic bags to grow nuts and other large trees. They have a length of 40cm with sides of 8cm. The volume of such a package is 2.7 liters.
❀ Sergey ❀

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk