Author Topic: The Good, The Bad and the Ugly!  (Read 2726 times)

greenbean88

• USA, Trabuco Canyon, CA, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
The Good, The Bad and the Ugly!
« on: March 16, 2018, 07:06:31 PM »
Well let's start off with the Bad. About three weeks ago, we had some of the coldest temperatures in my backyard that I have ever seen. For the better part of a week and a half we were in the 30s every night with the lowest night in the mid 20s  :-[. I lost a lot of new trees in my backyard including Coconut Cream, Placid, Ugly Betty and Orange Essence Mango's and four or five of my Manila Mango seedlings. All of my Banana's burned back to the ground after growing none stop through the winter and all of my young papayas dropped all of their leaves. At least whatever survived a huge cold spell like that will be stronger for it in the long run.

The Good: last weekend was my B-Day and I'm blessed with an incredible wife that I have been with for 13 years now. She will listen to me talk about whatever new Gary Zill Mango is coming out, grafting, rootstocks, different cultivars of whatever, and countless soil nuances. One of my favorite things to do with my wife and two kids is take them to different nurseries and arboretums from LA to San Diego. My wife knows how bummed I was with all of my mango losses and told me that my gift this year was going to be the large Manila mango that I found at Atkins Nursery in Fallbrook several months ago. If you have not read Simon's thread on Southern California mango growing, he talks about the importance of the Manila mango rootstock to have a longterm healthy tree in our area. The Manila mango rootstock is easy to find in our area at Home Depot or Lowe's, but most are barely a small twig with a few leaves on it. To find Manila rootstock in such a large size for sale is a rarity. Once my family got to Atkins Nursery, we were told they had two boxed Manila mango seedlings about 7-10 years old. I started looking at the two trees to decide which one would be the preferred one to buy. I quickly noticed one had a superior shape to the canopy, but had very severe trunk rot issues. The other Manila had a healthy trunk, but much less desirable canopy. After trying to decide between the two, my incredible wife said, "Why don't we get both?" She negotiated a price and we got a smoking deal on both trees. We came home with two 24" boxed Manilas and a few papayas.

The Ugly: As I mentioned, one of the Manilas has a trunk rot issue. I'll post photos to better show what it looks like. It seems like there was too much mulch against the trunk, which caused the rotting. Other than this issue, the tree looks very healthy. Has anyone dealt with this issue before and successfully healed the tree? Also, should I wait to graft onto this tree until it is healed? Any tips or suggestions are much appreciated.

(I had trouble uploading photos, so you can view them here: https://imgur.com/a/8oy9i)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 08:59:40 PM by greenbean88 »
Erik

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Re: The Good, The Bad and the Ugly!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 07:14:45 PM »
You and your wife made a good decision. Redundant thick Manila trees to work with is a good idea. I don't know how to heal trunk rot. But with such a good canopy, despite injured trunk, the tree is strong and should do well.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 07:17:54 PM by zands »

FreshOne

• N. San Diego CA, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 08:46:44 PM »
Can't view the pic. Do Atkin carry smaller manila mango but not HD small?

greenbean88

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 08:58:53 PM »

Sorry about that, I updated my post with the correct link: https://imgur.com/a/8oy9i
Erik

FreshOne

• N. San Diego CA, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 09:49:04 PM »
Since the rot is so close to the dirt I wouldn't mess with it. Plant the rootball higher then the ground, keep the trunk dry, and pray for the best. Looks like nice trees otherwise.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 11:04:20 PM »

They have their own propogated manilla or maybe champaigne mango.  They have 5 gallons that are a decent size.
Brad Spaugh

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 01:47:03 AM »
Your life sounds quite similar to mine Greenbean- sorry for your losses. I have a co-worker that lives in Trabuco and she had a lot of damage as well. As far as your trunk rot goes, I would plant it and drench the soil monthly with Aliette WG or similar systemic fungicide. It can be used as a foliar spray as well. The only caveat is the high price. Good luck you you. Chris
-Chris

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 02:16:40 AM »

Sorry about that, I updated my post with the correct link: https://imgur.com/a/8oy9i

i saw the rot. if its severely rotted. its better to protect it from insects that may house in to the branch. U dont want that or have water stay-still that cud cause further damage.

i advise u to paint ur tree using IV organics paint guard. u want to use something environmentally-friendly to ur trees.

here is the link

http://ivorganics.com/product/iv-organic-3-in-1-plant-guard/#overview

greenbean88

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 07:29:10 PM »

So I did not see many other smaller Manilas but I was not looking for them either. If you are looking for some 15 or 25 gallon Manilas I would go to California tropical fruit tree nursery in Vista. I was there two months ago and they had those sizes. I think they are only open to the public on Saturdays.
Erik

greenbean88

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 07:33:25 PM »
Your life sounds quite similar to mine Greenbean- sorry for your losses. I have a co-worker that lives in Trabuco and she had a lot of damage as well. As far as your trunk rot goes, I would plant it and drench the soil monthly with Aliette WG or similar systemic fungicide. It can be used as a foliar spray as well. The only caveat is the high price. Good luck you you. Chris

Well Chris you have a pretty good life my friend! What are you growing in Old town, I work in Orange and it never seems to amaze me the abundance of fruit trees I see there. Thanks for your recommendation on the fungicide I think I will give it a few months of drying out before I try the fungicide.
Erik

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 10:59:52 AM »
Well Chris you have a pretty good life my friend! What are you growing in Old town, I work in Orange and it never seems to amaze me the abundance of fruit trees I see there. Thanks for your recommendation on the fungicide I think I will give it a few months of drying out before I try the fungicide.

Maybe help it dry out by positioning a 9"-12" desk fan by it...at least when you are at home.

greenbean88

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 02:17:49 AM »
So I have an update from California Tropical Fruit Tree Nursery in regards to Manila Mango root stock. The good thing is they have an abundance of different sizes from 15, 25 and maybe 50-80 gallon trees. The bad thing is the price they want. For the 15 gallon it was 140, 25 gallon 500 and for there huge size it was 850. If you have deep pockets and want a big time saver I guess it is not a bad option.
Erik

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 09:43:24 AM »
just an FYI....
i had several mango from seed growing hoping to graft to.
one had actually given me 2 fruit a couple of years ago.
I am just outside New Orleans zone 9a, near 9b border.
some years  we get not temps below 32F.
some years it gets to 27-28 ish. but very rarely below that.
This last Jan., we had the coldest temps in history, hitting 20F.

i had a 4yr amngo  that was in-ground for 18 months
i had pretty much given up on it, and the others in containers.
it was late may before i noticed the new growth coming from the roots.
but... its back.
another one in a 7gal container, 2 yrs old, is also back.

its a fight for sure to get fruit, and i have to have at least 2 years
of no hard freeze in a row, but i know its possible.
i just dont know if i can get fruit in %80 of the years, or %20.

lots of stuff came back by the way
cherimoya, guava, grumichama, inga....
CORG didnt even loose a leaf.