Citrus limonia "rangpur"

(1/2) > >>

pher:
Theme for Citrus limonia "Rangpur"
discussion + photo

Chas:
Very nice!  :)

Steffen:
Many consider Calamondin - Citrus madurensis - as valueable ornamental citrus. But personally I think, the "Rangpur" - Citrus limonia - is much better. It tolerates being potted, tolerates alkaline soils, tolerates all time warm conditions, tolerates small pots... it has nice flowers which are purple tinged and has leaves, that smell of Lemon-Lime if carefully rubbed... Fruits are nice and look like real mandarin-limes, are very acid, stay long on the tree  and the tree can be covered in orange gems...

Why is this plant so underestimated as ornamental, as it has this outstanding beauty?

MarcV:

--- Quote from: Steffen on April 21, 2014, 06:34:44 AM ---Many consider Calamondin - Citrus madurensis - as valueable ornamental citrus. But personally I think, the "Rangpur" - Citrus limonia - is much better. It tolerates being potted, tolerates alkaline soils, tolerates all time warm conditions, tolerates small pots... it has nice flowers which are purple tinged and has leaves, that smell of Lemon-Lime if carefully rubbed... Fruits are nice and look like real mandarin-limes, are very acid, stay long on the tree  and the tree can be covered in orange gems...

Why is this plant so underestimated as ornamental, as it has this outstanding beauty?

--- End quote ---

You make the rangpur sound very interesting to me. That's not a good thing as I'm actually trying to reduce my collection... ::) ;D

snhabegger:
I'm growing one of these in Thailand, it is extremely productive, and attractive too -- fruited after three years, grows like a monstrous weed.  Unfortunately its fruits are not quite limey enough for Thais to use in their cooking, and I don't think anyone has tried frying or drying its leaves, like they do with the kaffir lime.  They don't recognize it as a distinct variety, just a sour orange (which are indigenous).  I'm going to use it either for juice (maybe mixed with other things), for making something else like marmalade, for a rootstock for grafting other things onto, or as food when civilization collapses (assuming my miracle fruit survives too).  It would be a great orange to grow if you have an industrial use for oranges.  I wouldn't be surprised if it is part of the reason I now have two wild beehives in my orchard.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version