Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

Are asimina's affected by juglone in walnut

(1/3) > >>

Plantinyum:
Just cleared one planting spot under my big walnut tree, its like 4 meters away from the base of the tree but is still somewhat shaded by the canopy. I want to plant an asimina at the site and was wondering if someone has experience with asimina planted  close to wallnut (juglans regia ).

Triloba Tracker:
i do not have personal experience, though both Black Walnut and Asimina triloba are endemic/wild here. They grow together in the wild. I know at least one grower who intentionally planted Asimina triloba and black walnut together.

i've also read in several places that Asimina trilboa is not affected by juglone. One person even used black walnut hulls as mulch around his Asimina triloba.

So, I would say - go for it!

Plantinyum:

--- Quote from: Triloba Tracker on May 10, 2021, 10:53:20 AM ---i do not have personal experience, though both Black Walnut and Asimina triloba are endemic/wild here. They grow together in the wild. I know at least one grower who intentionally planted Asimina triloba and black walnut together.

i've also read in several places that Asimina trilboa is not affected by juglone. One person even used black walnut hulls as mulch around his Asimina triloba.

So, I would say - go for it!

--- End quote ---
thanks for the reply, I will plant the tree in a few days, already removed a few big branches off the walnut to let some more light to my plants that are growing underneath .

Triphal:
We have planted 2 decades ago 5 Pawpaw trees 45 to 50 feet away from black walnut trees on either side.So also our annual vegetable garden! No problems for tomatoes either!. Please note that we protected the young pawpaw plants for three to four years from direct sunlight. 

Plantinyum:

--- Quote from: Triphal on May 21, 2021, 08:44:12 AM ---We have planted 2 decades ago 5 Pawpaw trees 45 to 50 feet away from black walnut trees on either side.So also our annual vegetable garden! No problems for tomatoes either!. Please note that we protected the young pawpaw plants for three to four years from direct sunlight.

--- End quote ---
thanks for the input , sounds like they aren't affected by the chemical, my walnut is also juglans regia, not juglans nigra for which I have read that it contains higher amount off the chem. .

I have found a seller who sells around 4-5 years old plants, big ones.
I also did shade cloth the first year on my 40 cm plants, they did not do very well with it, had yellowish leaves till I removed the shade cloth. Here they handled the heat and sun fine, with regular watering!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version