Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Most Beautiful Tropical Fruit Trees (Small to Medium Size)

(1/4) > >>

johnb51:
Which tropical fruit trees are the most attractive as far as shape and structure and leaves? :-*  But not necessarily large, spreading shade trees.  If you wanted to plant some attractive trees in your front yard with ornamental value but not those with the most tempting (to fruit thieves!) fruits, like mangoes and lychees, what would you choose? 

Tim:
Muntingia calabura - top it at certain desirable height and it'll branch out beautifully providing great shade, a very attractive tree that blooms & fruits all year, passers by will never notice a thing due to minute size of fruits, even if you don't eat them, it won't make a mess of your front yard with rotten fruits.  Though as it's been pointed out, can be very invasive but you can always knock them back with a weed whacker or lawn mower  ;D

FlyingFoxFruits:

--- Quote from: johnb51 on February 27, 2012, 10:58:13 PM ---Which tropical fruit trees are the most attractive as far as shape and structure and leaves? :-*  But not necessarily large, spreading shade trees.  If you wanted to plant some attractive trees in your front yard with ornamental value but not those with the most tempting (to fruit thieves!) fruits, like mangoes and lychees, what would you choose?

--- End quote ---

Jaboticaba.
Loquat
Canistel
Miracle fruit
pitomba
dwarf sapodilla

and a bunch more I'm sure.

johnb51:
Yes, I was thinking sapodilla.  What does caimito look like in mature form?  Jackfruit are beautiful when young.  How do they get as they grow?  I'm not opposed to regular pruning.

Tropicalgrower89:

--- Quote from: johnb51 on February 28, 2012, 12:08:16 AM ---Yes, I was thinking sapodilla.  What does caimito look like in mature form?  Jackfruit are beautiful when young.  How do they get as they grow?  I'm not opposed to regular pruning.

--- End quote ---

The only dwarf sapodillas that I can think of is silas woods and makok. I think silas woods is even shorter than makok. Fairchild #2 canistel can also be maintained at a good height. It's also one of the best Canistel cultivars. That's the one I have.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version