Author Topic: Best Avocado Variety for Growing in a Container  (Read 1641 times)

GardenBoy

• USA, VA, Burke, Zone 7
    • View Profile
Best Avocado Variety for Growing in a Container
« on: January 13, 2022, 03:01:10 PM »
For the past few weeks I have looked at around 30 different varieties of avocados trying to figure out the best type for growing in a large (15 Gal.) container.  My 4 main criteria are:
-   Responds well to heavy pruning so that it can be kept to a size of roughly 6’ tall by 4’ wide
-   Fruit must have a high oil content
-   Small seed to flesh ratio
-   Must be highly productive and bear at an early age (2-3 years)
Since it will be container grown and will be brought inside long before any freezing temps occur, it is not necessary that it be a cold-tolerant variety.  Also, I’m not particular about the size of the fruit as long as it meets the other criteria above.  From the roughly 30 or so varieties that I’ve looked at, I’ve narrowed my list down to 9 candidates as follows:
-Pinkerton
-Wurtz (AKA Little Cado)
-Day
-Condo
-Fantastic
-Brazos Belle
-Holiday
-Lila
-Gem

I would like to hear of anyone’s experience with container growing any one of these listed varieties or another variety not listed which you feel is superior.  Please let me know which you would recommend and why.  Also, if any of these varieties are not suitable for container growing, I would like to know that as well.  Thank you.

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
Re: Best Avocado Variety for Growing in a Container
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 05:04:47 PM »
Hi ,you can use a clone rootstock. It can control the graft part growth

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 06:10:37 PM »
I dont have any potted trees but gwen and pinkerton make loads of fruit on small trees.  Also superior flavors.
Brad Spaugh

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 07:47:00 PM »
Hi ,you can use a clone rootstock. It can control the graft part growth

Procedures please.  Interesting concept

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 12:41:41 AM »
You have to got the clone rootstock . Some California comercial nursery have it. Good choice is toro cañón .Other option is airlayered rootstock. You can check YouTube for examples. Good luck

GardenBoy

• USA, VA, Burke, Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 10:32:17 AM »
Thanks for bringing up the importance of selecting the right rootstock which is something I hadn’t considered.  I found an article that states that some rootstocks have demonstrated that they can induce the grafted tops to make more than twice as much fruit compared to other rootstocks! See: https://gregalder.com/yardposts/avocado-rootstocks-what-do-they-matter/
There is also a picture at the end of the article which shows how much variability there can be in using seedling rootstocks.

The nurseries I’ve looked at selling grafted avocado trees usually don’t state the type of rootstock used so that could be a bit of a challenge.  In fact the article I referenced states that most avocado plants sold to home growers is on Zutano seedling rootstock.   If I’m lucky, maybe I’ll find one of the varieties I’ve listed on toro cañón.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 11:54:10 AM »
Zutano rootstocks work fine. 
Brad Spaugh

BQ McFry

• Avocados in zone 7B? Maybe! http://tiny.cc/ppmmuz
    • Gaston County, NC 7B
    • View Profile
    • Avo7BProject
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 05:33:26 PM »
I've read enough and watched enough videos, to be skeptical that a 15 gallon pot works very well to grow a tree to fruit bearing size. That seems to be about the minimum, and requires an experienced gardener to know how to properly balance all of the conditions. If you can work out a way to get a larger pot (even if permanently mounted on a dolly) I'd really advise that. Shoot for a 24 inch box, or even larger.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 06:10:16 PM by BQ McFry »

Avofan

• Oakland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2022, 09:00:17 PM »
Hey I wanted to see what happened with your experiment.
I am experimenting with these things as well.
I think a 15 gal pot should be good for around 9’ tall
There’s an avocado tree I drive by a lot that’s about 12’ tall, looks pretty good but don’t see any fruit - in a half wine barrel!
I have GEMs about 5’ tall trying to set fruit. One of them had tons of fruitlets but many fell off.
The trunk is only about 5/8-3/4” thick and the plant “knows” how much it can take. It seems like all tree of these GEM trees will end up with about 1 fruit each. That’s why there aren’t really dwarf avocados. The fruit is energy intensive. The amount of fruit should correlate to the trunk and root mass and leaf area. Best case scenario I’m guessing would be like 20 fruit for a tree that size.
If that’s worth it to you to prune and move inside for 20 fruit a year then great. Step 2 is finding the right variety. As mentioned above, the Reed seems like the the one - it’s known for fruiting pretty hard at a young age  and kinda breaks the general rule that you need a big tree to get good fruit set. However I have a nursery Reed in a 15 gal bag. It got attacked by deer but the leaves are coming back. It’s one of these 2yr old 3-4’ trees. It flowered and had bb sized fruitlets on nearly every flower. But they all dropped off. Next year it will probably be over 6 feet tall and set a few fruit. I don’t know if it will keep setting more fruit as the trunk gets thicker if you are also cutting off the 3 ft it grew that year because it kinda shocks the tree and it might not fruit out of spite.
What you are attempting is kinda unnatural for avocado and might work and also might be a big waste of time. It’s not going to behave as well as citrus or fig in a container.
I’m doing the same thing but also trying to feel out when they might need to be up potted and you will have to be open to adjusting your plan if you see rootbound symptoms and also you will definitely need to be fertilizing pretty often